D850 or Z6II or Z7II

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I now have two D850's. Generally I carry them on a Black Rapid dual strap. I had spine surgery last month and will be 80 y/o next month.
I'm considering a pair of the Z II cameras for the reduced weight and enhanced vibration control compared to the D850. It may out weigh the better + autofocus of the D850.
I do a lot of travel photography including BIF, landscapes, animals.
I have a few months before I next travel, mid summer.
Any advice?
John Kenny

You have to consider how much of a total weight difference it will make for the entire kit. Will the few hundred grams difference in the camera body make that big of a change? What lenses are you using, since more often that not they are the biggest amount of total weight in any camera kit. If you are using F2.8 glass (zooms) or F1.4 (primes) you might consider switching to F4 zooms, or F1.8 primes, as well.

You have to consider how much of a total weight difference it will make for the entire kit. Will the few hundred grams difference in the camera body make that big of a change? What lenses are you using, since more often that not they are the biggest amount of total weight in any camera kit. If you are using F2.8 glass (zooms) or F1.4 (primes) you might consider switching to F4 zooms, or F1.8 primes, as well.
I'm sure the weight difference is not much, especially if the FTZ adaptor is in use. I have a good selection of primes and I'm considering Z 14-24/4 and 24-70/4 lenses. I have both the 300 and 500 mm PF lenses.

The first time I handled a Z6 in the store I was hooked on the feeling, size, weight and handling of the mirrorless camera compared to DSLR.
Excepting burst mode shooting of fast-moving wildlife I would pick a Z camera over a DSLR every time. Lighter, smaller, and using EVF means I don't have to take my reading glasses with me on a shoot any more. Set the EVF diopter for my own eye once and it's done.

Sell one D850 for a Z7? I have both and go back and forth, the D850 for situations weighted towards animals/birds, the Z7 for situations where I'm mostly looking at landscapes (I really like the 14-30 f/4 Z lens). You won't lose either way and you can develop a baseline to tell you what's best for you.

The first time I handled a Z6 in the store I was hooked on the feeling, size, weight and handling of the mirrorless camera compared to DSLR.
Excepting burst mode shooting of fast-moving wildlife I would pick a Z camera over a DSLR every time. Lighter, smaller, and using EVF means I don't have to take my reading glasses with me on a shoot any more. Set the EVF diopter for my own eye once and it's done.
Thanks for the input.

Sell one D850 for a Z7? I have both and go back and forth, the D850 for situations weighted towards animals/birds, the Z7 for situations where I'm mostly looking at landscapes (I really like the 14-30 f/4 Z lens). You won't lose either way and you can develop a baseline to tell you what's best for you.
I’m not sure I could switch from one body to the other without a confusion factor. Button placements seem to be quite different.
When I bought a D810 and used it along with a D7100, I would have to hesitate upon switching back and forth.
I may try borrowing or renting a Z II camera before taking the plunge.

I’m not sure I could switch from one body to the other without a confusion factor. Button placements seem to be quite different.
When I bought a D810 and used it along with a D7100, I would have to hesitate upon switching back and forth.
I may try borrowing or renting a Z II camera before taking the plunge.
By all means rent one. The ergonomics of the two cameras are such that most of what you're going to be doing will be very similar. Some buttons have moved but you'll recognize what to do without a manual. The only area that's quite different is the AF. Unlike many, I don't find it worse, but it's... different.

After reading and viewing comparisons between Nikon DSLR and Mirrorless, I find no compelling reason to switch to the Mirrorless. I enjoy the fit and feel of the larger DSLR bodies. I will wait until Nikon introduces a mirrorless "pro" body.

This always comes down to each person's needs & goals, and just weighing out all your options (pun intended :)). For what it's worth, I jumped fully into mirrorless and I won't be investing into DSLR's in the future. I'll be upgrading my Z6 to the Z6II as soon as I can get one (body-only options aren't available anywhere yet). I still have & use my D7200 as well.

A lot (most?) of your carry weight depends on the glass you're using of course. If I were in your shoes, I'd consider selling one of your D850's and putting that money into a Z6II and the 24-200 Z for your travel kit (it's a sharp, lightweight, versatile travel lens). Keep a D850 and some longer glass for your wildlife shooting. Best of both worlds.

Or - sell both D850's and just go for the Z7 II, 24-200 Z, and the FTZ adapter. This option consolidates everything into one body, and you have added resolution when you need that extra "reach" for wildlife. The Z7 II in DX mode will yield a nice 19.5 mp image (Z6 II is 10.3 mp in DX mode). Hang on to your favorite longer F glass until Nikon (finally) comes out with equivalent glass on the Z side.

The Z's are phenomenal all-around, do-everything cameras. I don't specialize in wildlife, so they're ideal for me. That said, if most of what you shoot is wildlife - I'd recommend staying with DSLR's for the time being. Hope some of this is helpful. Reply back with your decision, but take your time. :)

I think the D850 is still the best all-around interchangeable lens camera available (I'm including Sony in that observation). But I use a Z7 anytime I don't need anything longer than 300mm and I'm doing general nature/landscape work ). I carry the 14-30, 24-70, and 70-300 AF-P, and I'm waiting a bit on the 24-200. The 24-70 is a remarkable mid-range lens. I use a D500 when I'm chasing birds with a 500PF (or 500 f/4 or 600 f/4). I use a Z50 when I'm traveling light. I wouldn't think about 'missing the bus'. I think you could have fun exploring the possibilities, but I wouldn't let internet chatter drive you into a decision you really don't have to make yet.

I now have two D850's. Generally I carry them on a Black Rapid dual strap. I had spine surgery last month and will be 80 y/o next month.
I'm considering a pair of the Z II cameras for the reduced weight and enhanced vibration control compared to the D850. It may out weigh the better + autofocus of the D850.
Any advice?
John Kenny

May I ask why two D850s, if weight is an issue. Why not swap one out for a Z7 II.

The Z7 II is BRILLIANT perfectly fine as a everything you want to do camera and it doesn't do anything really that the D850 cant do, other that sensor stabilisation which is becoming more important as we age. Yes if your super articulate and in critical situations and you are a shooter that relies on tracking (and I ask how many times are you in that situation) the Z7 II is absolutely stunning with the Z glass, don't bother with adaptors the befit is in the Z system is the Z glass, light weight, small, colour, clarity, the Z glass its about I don't know maybe 5% to 10% better, but the combination in colour accuracy is amazing.

We have couples in the club that travel full time doing photography all around the world, they have the Z7 II now and they say the Z series is so good for everything especially travel, they also do birds in flight and wild live, macro, street the whole lot, and love it, many other members say they don't have an issue with action either, I mean they don't use in camera tracking, in fact I will be honest, I have never once used tracking in any camera period, I have no complaints. I see for many its nice and become a critical issue for them if it doesn't work well, but I am old school shooting, for me it delivers results.

I have seen so many people in our club address this issue of travel and weight, many went to Fuji, but came back to the DSLR then the Z series came out they went to the Z6 and Z7 and they haven't locked back, very few of them use the tracking feature. Many keep the D850 as well.
Its the journey that matters, not just the destination, try a Z7 II on hire first with a good 70-200 Z lens and I think you will be sold instantly.

Only an opinion OZ down Under

Any advice?
John Kenny

There are a lot of opinions on the D850 vs. the Z7/Z7II. It really boils down to the specifics of what you shoot. There are a few cases where the immediate response of an optical viewfinder is an advantage over an EVF, but those are usually for fast erratic action. Large subjects, predictable action, etc. are easy on both cameras. You'll need to embrace using the AF modes of the newer cameras. Group on the D850 is replaced with two wide modes. You also have Face, Eye, and Animal Eye AF for some situations.

The AF is a little more accurate on the Z cameras than the D850. For slow moving and static subjects that's a meaningful advantage. The Z cameras are lighter even with F-mount lenses. If you are able to pick up some Z lenses, they are outstanding. The 24-70 f/4 makes a terrific kit lens, and probably solves your need for lighter gear. I pair it with the 14-30 f/4 for a nice, light kit. The prime lenses are all outstanding. For landscapes, the Z lenses are generally better in the corners than F-mount counterparts.

It can be difficult using a D850 and Z7II concurrently. I expect you'll like the Z camera. The EVF shows you what the exposure will be like for the final image. But it lulls you into a similar thought when you switch to a DSLE, so you have to concentrate on adjusting exposure based on the meter rather than what you see.

The FTZ adapter is very effective if you have good, F-mount glass. If you have older or weaker lenses, you'll probably have more incentive to sell them and invest in Z lenses. AF performance with the FTZ is very good.

I think you'll really enjoy the lighter weight and great optics of the Z cameras. The Z7II is a terrific camera, and right now is the time to sell a D850 and use the proceeds to pick up a Z7II. The D850 sells for a good price today, but it's an older camera compared to the Z.

No need to sell a 850. Just add the Z7II to the collection
I have had my Z7II about a week now.
But the FTZ adapter did not come yet so using the 24-70 f4 lens
Finally figured out the configuration I like now

I am trying auto ISO for the first time. But not sure I like it or not

Back