D850 or Z6II or Z7II

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

There are a lot of opinions on the D850 vs. the Z7/Z7II. It really boils down to the specifics of what you shoot. There are a few cases where the immediate response of an optical viewfinder is an advantage over an EVF, but those are usually for fast erratic action. Large subjects, predictable action, etc. are easy on both cameras. You'll need to embrace using the AF modes of the newer cameras. Group on the D850 is replaced with two wide modes. You also have Face, Eye, and Animal Eye AF for some situations.

The AF is a little more accurate on the Z cameras than the D850. For slow moving and static subjects that's a meaningful advantage. The Z cameras are lighter even with F-mount lenses. If you are able to pick up some Z lenses, they are outstanding. The 24-70 f/4 makes a terrific kit lens, and probably solves your need for lighter gear. I pair it with the 14-30 f/4 for a nice, light kit. The prime lenses are all outstanding. For landscapes, the Z lenses are generally better in the corners than F-mount counterparts.

It can be difficult using a D850 and Z7II concurrently. I expect you'll like the Z camera. The EVF shows you what the exposure will be like for the final image. But it lulls you into a similar thought when you switch to a DSLE, so you have to concentrate on adjusting exposure based on the meter rather than what you see.

The FTZ adapter is very effective if you have good, F-mount glass. If you have older or weaker lenses, you'll probably have more incentive to sell them and invest in Z lenses. AF performance with the FTZ is very good.

I think you'll really enjoy the lighter weight and great optics of the Z cameras. The Z7II is a terrific camera, and right now is the time to sell a D850 and use the proceeds to pick up a Z7II. The D850 sells for a good price today, but it's an older camera compared to the Z.
Good ideas. I’m considering going to f/4 glass from f/2.8 for wide and mid zooms. I understand that the autofocus works at lower light levels on Z cameras compared to DSLRs and the z lenses work quite well wide open.

Good ideas. I’m considering going to f/4 glass from f/2.8 for wide and mid zooms. I understand that the autofocus works at lower light levels on Z cameras compared to DSLRs and the z lenses work quite well wide open.
I did that on dSLR when I went from canon to Nikon, the cost of changing was brutal so I went f:4 instead of f:2.8 and it’s absolutely feasible but you will see the optical quality difference if you have been shooting the pro zooms for a long time. I actually never felt it in the AF speed, but certainly in oof transitions and center sharpness. Now the Z f:4 zooms are so good, much better than their F counterparts, that you may not see it.

Something like the Z7ii is tempting. I currently have a D850 and 500PF (also 300PF and others), and this is the best quality, lightweight setup I can find. It's roughly 2500g. Now if I got the Z, the body is only like 700g, but the FTZ is another 135g, so that puts me at 2340g. Not really a huge difference.

Now the Z7ii + 300PF + FTZ + TC1.4 is about 1785g @420mm. Not bad, but I'd like to avoid TCs if possible, and 300mm is a bit short.

Are there any other lightweight, full frame setups out there that I'm missing? An a7iv with the 100-400 GM runs about 2065g. That's about the only other thing that comes to mind.

BTW @Steve, I just discovered these forums. They seem to be relatively new? Good idea!

May I ask why two D850s, if weight is an issue. Why not swap one out for a Z7 II.

The Z7 II is BRILLIANT perfectly fine as a everything you want to do camera and it doesn't do anything really that the D850 cant do, other that sensor stabilisation which is becoming more important as we age. Yes if your super articulate and in critical situations and you are a shooter that relies on tracking (and I ask how many times are you in that situation) the Z7 II is absolutely stunning with the Z glass, don't bother with adaptors the befit is in the Z system is the Z glass, light weight, small, colour, clarity, the Z glass its about I don't know maybe 5% to 10% better, but the combination in colour accuracy is amazing.

We have couples in the club that travel full time doing photography all around the world, they have the Z7 II now and they say the Z series is so good for everything especially travel, they also do birds in flight and wild live, macro, street the whole lot, and love it, many other members say they don't have an issue with action either, I mean they don't use in camera tracking, in fact I will be honest, I have never once used tracking in any camera period, I have no complaints. I see for many its nice and become a critical issue for them if it doesn't work well, but I am old school shooting, for me it delivers results.

I have seen so many people in our club address this issue of travel and weight, many went to Fuji, but came back to the DSLR then the Z series came out they went to the Z6 and Z7 and they haven't locked back, very few of them use the tracking feature. Many keep the D850 as well.
Its the journey that matters, not just the destination, try a Z7 II on hire first with a good 70-200 Z lens and I think you will be sold instantly.

Only an opinion OZ down Under
I carry two for balance. If I take just one, I put a lens bag on the opposite side. Ran into this in Chile where they restrict visitors to a single camera. BTW, we prematurely ended a world cruise last year in Australia. Had to fly home from Perth.
I ordered two Z7 II last week along with some S glass.
Next cruise is booked for July, but I doubt that it will sail. Plenty of time to get accustomed to the new cameras.

Back