D850 + RAW + NX Studio (new horizon)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ado Wolf

I recently went through a transformational change, having just made 2 major upgrades in my photography. I decided to share my thoughts here, as it might help others who are in the same situation.

Upgrade from JPG to RAW
I always hesitated to shoot RAW, mainly for [1] lack of a program that handles RAW [2] time needed to edit many photos [3] Disk space / SD card Size needed. However, thanks to Steve's books, feedback on this forum and the free release of NX Studio, I decided to take this "leap" forward. Do I have regrets? Yes, I regret not having made this leap earlier! Since I went RAW, my keepers increased, particularly those taken in low light. The editing possibilities are remarkable. Photos I would have otherwise deleted in JPG, I can now edit in RAW and keep. Number of photos I took dropped as well, since RAW eliminated the need for bracketing (in certain situations). I shoot RAW + JPG so the time required to edit RAW is minimal, as I do tend to go for "aim for best results out of camera" (old school thinking that stuck with me from Film days). To conclude: one doesn't need more time to edit photos, neither more disk space (if keeping photos in JPG format suffices). Disk space has become also much cheaper, so no issues in keeping RAW photos either. NX Studio is a great program, that is free, and will get the job done (for a non professional photographer like me).

Upgrade from D7500 (enthusiast) to D850 (professional)
The gear doesn't make the photographer, true.. but sooner or later, certain gear will become a limitation. This became my case with the D7500. It is a great camera to start with, and I still use it when I need the reach, but the D850 offers so much more: [1] High MP offers flexibility in cropping, not to mention a richer photo [2] Full format offers better DoF [3] improved Dynamic Range and low ISO sensitivity performance are the cherries on top. Not to mention faster AF (particularly in low light), better handling (I have big hands), and improved weather sealing.. to name a few.
Why not switch to Z.. because I have too many F mount lenses and I am happy with them. Will I eventually switch to Z? yes, when Nikon matches or outperforms the D850 and I can afford switching all my F collection into S glass.

Some people need more time to change than others.. particularly today, where the future is uncertain and technology is changing faster than ever before. Was it worth the wait? for me, absolutely, because it made me push my limits with the gear I had, improving myself before blaming my gear. Now I am ready for the next challenge: reaching the limitation of my new gear meanwhile toping my performance and becoming a better photographer.

Last edited:
I recently went through a transformational change, having just made 2 major upgrades in my photography. I decided to share my thoughts here, as it might help others who are in the same situation.
Upgrade from D7500 (enthusiast) to D850 (semi-pro)

No argument about you discovering the wonders of raw, but calling a d850 a semi pro camera? It is the best camera Nikon has ever made in full frame DSLR and I have never heard a pro say otherwise. D6 may be better for sports, but the 850 excels at every thing I have asked it to do.

I agree @RickW, to me it is definitely as "Pro" as it gets, so I have edited my Post..
Nikon labels the D6 "Flagship", D850 "Professional", D780 "Advanced Entry". I agree there as well.
on the net some define it as "Prosumer".. not sure how that is different from "Professional"..

In NX Studio, make sure you try out and use Control Points for local adjustments. You can adjust light and color and contrast on a selected part of the RAW image. These are so much easier to use than layers and other techniques and all of your edits are non destructive. Read about them in the manual that comes with Studio.

In NX Studio, make sure you try out and use Control Points for local adjustments. You can adjust light and color and contrast on a selected part of the RAW image. These are so much easier to use than layers and other techniques and all of your edits are non destructive. Read about them in the manual that comes with Studio.
I have the NX Studio download installed, where is the Manual located is this a separate PDF download?

Last edited:
I would exercise caution with the Nikon Transfer program. I have found in the past that it would omit several files in the transfer from the card reader to the computer. Now I use the file manager instead as it is faster overall.

I don't use the Nikon Transfer program.. I use a simple USB card-reader and copy files in the FINDER app (Mac).
I use NX Studio uniquely for reviewing and editing photos, and exporting them in JPG format.
Thank for the tip though.

Fastest download of all with Nikon to iMac ... CFexpress into a card reader attached to iMac .... click on the disk image that pops up on desk top open the DCMI file and then drag the image folder to your desk top .... very fast and reliable ... then open NX Studio and there they are ready to sort through and edit if you want. My wife uses nothing but NX Studio ... I find it a bit clunky compared to Light Room but it can get the job done and of course you are on your own for cataloging and I have never figured out any way to efficiently search for images in finder using key words ... if you or anyone else know please clue me in.

Fastest download of all with Nikon to iMac ... CFexpress into a card reader attached to iMac .... click on the disk image that pops up on desk top open the DCMI file and then drag the image folder to your desk top .... very fast and reliable ... then open NX Studio and there they are ready to sort through and edit if you want. My wife uses nothing but NX Studio ... I find it a bit clunky compared to Light Room but it can get the job done and of course you are on your own for cataloging and I have never figured out any way to efficiently search for images in finder using key words ... if you or anyone else know please clue me in.

Take a look at Excire Foto for keywording and other search features. It's reasonably priced and does a pretty good job of using "AI" locally to keyword your photos. You can make your own keywords and change its suggestions. They also have a plug-in for Lightroom. You can download a demo from their site at www.excire.com

I would exercise caution with the Nikon Transfer program. I have found in the past that it would omit several files in the transfer from the card reader to the computer. Now I use the file manager instead as it is faster overall.
I've been using NXT exclusively for so long—never had any skips and omissions. Never!

Upgrade from JPG to RAW
I always hesitated to shoot RAW, mainly for [1] lack of a program that handles RAW [2] time needed to edit many photos [3] Disk space / SD card Size needed. However, thanks to Steve's books, feedback on this forum and the free release of NX Studio, I decided to take this "leap" forward. Do I have regrets? Yes, I regret not having made this leap earlier! Since I went RAW, my keepers increased, particularly those taken in low light. The editing possibilities are remarkable. Photos I would have otherwise deleted in JPG, I can now edit in RAW and keep. Number of photos I took dropped as well, since RAW eliminated the need for bracketing (in certain situations). I shoot RAW + JPG so the time required to edit RAW is minimal, as I do tend to go for "aim for best results out of camera" (old school thinking that stuck with me from Film days). To conclude: one doesn't need more time to edit photos, neither more disk space (if keeping photos in JPG format suffices). Disk space has become also much cheaper, so no issues in keeping RAW photos either. NX Studio is a great program, that is free, and will get the job done (for a non professional photographer like me).

Upgrade from D7500 (enthusiast) to D850 (professional)
The gear doesn't make the photographer, true.. but sooner or later, certain gear will become a limitation. This became my case with the D7500. It is a great camera to start with, and I still use it when I need the reach, but the D850 offers so much more: [1] High MP offers flexibility in cropping, not to mention a richer photo [2] Full format offers better DoF [3] improved Dynamic Range and low ISO sensitivity performance are the cherries on top. Not to mention faster AF (particularly in low light), better handling (I have big hands), and improved weather sealing.. to name a few.
Why not switch to Z.. because I have too many F mount lenses and I am happy with them. Will I eventually switch to Z? yes, when Nikon matches or outperforms the D850 and I can afford switching all my F collection into S glass.

Some people need more time to change than others.. particularly today, where the future is uncertain and technology is changing faster than ever before. Was it worth the wait? for me, absolutely, because it made me push my limits with the gear I had, improving myself before blaming my gear. Now I am ready for the next challenge: reaching the limitation of my new gear meanwhile toping my performance and becoming a better photographer.

Congrats (y) for both.
I was lucky enough to get convinced of RAW shooting by my friend years ago and I can't imagine doing anything else since and I shoot RAW only. Reason is that even in less complex situations the 8 bits can mean a limitation when it comes to pull out the little bit extra. At the time Iwas using Nikon View NX2 and Capture NX2, which were then replaced by View NX-1 and Capture NX-D and these two now have grown together in NX Studio.

Regarding software:

If you like what you can achieve now with RAW-based post processing and you are in the learning curve anyway, you might want to take a closer look to DxO Photolab 4 :rolleyes:.

Because I was a Capture NX2 user I was used to have selective processing functions for processing particular areas in your image separately and since the program was discontinued I was looking for an alternative without having to go the Adobe road. After I heard and read of Phptolab 4 I tried it and since then it's the only raw processing software I use since.
It allows full stack post processing based on genuine NEF files without forcing you in a particular step sequence in post processing and/or to change file format for particular functions, and it includes one of the best or - as many say and I IMHO do as well - THE best denoising function currently available on the market today, which is integrated in the main program rather forcing you to jumpbackward and forward to use external add-ons.

I still use Nikon software, i.e. Studio NX, today, but mainly for camera-related checks and testing, because there is still some information in the NEF's that doesn't get interpreted at all or at least not 100% correctly by third party software. But it doesn't affect IQ as such, it is more about things like allowing to visualize the activated focus point in the image or to view and change the in-camera picture control settings in post per image.

Regarding the D850:

I just recently chaned over as well and I had the same regrets as you - concerning the point in time to make up my mind ;).
I replaced my D750 and the D7200 with it, while keeping the D4s for low light and if it's getting really fast.
I am really happy with it and although I know what @Steve thinks about cropping I appreciate the chance to be able to do it occasionally. Having good enough light and shooting the D850 with the 500PF is a breeze :love:, until Hi ISO noise hits too much. But with the afore mentioned denoizing the headroom you have is quite considerable, although you obviously can'T do anything about loosing dynamic range with higher ISO.

Take a look at Excire Foto for keywording and other search features. It's reasonably priced and does a pretty good job of using "AI" locally to keyword your photos. You can make your own keywords and change its suggestions. They also have a plug-in for Lightroom. You can download a demo from their site at www.excire.com
light room is easy and no problem I use a keyword structure and can find a specific type of bird from a specific location very quickly. The issue is items keyworded in NX Studio and then how to search for them on a Mac ... as I said my wife uses NX Studio and can key word but can not figure out how to then search on her computer by keyword.

Back