Deleting files in camera

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I didn’t because I always heard the same thing, then I recently began doing it without issue. Then I received an email from ProGrade Digital discussing a different reason not to do it so I’ll be going back to not doing it. There reasoning makes me concerned for doing it on SSDs too, so not sure what to do, lol.

I am guilty of doing this more than I know I should. Sometimes when I am reviewing images (I guess "chimping" is the old term for this) I just reflexively delete ones that are terrible. I guess I should stop doing that.

Say an unnamed person has been guilty of deleting files in camera but doesn't have Prograde cards. What can such a person do to get rid of the fragmentation? Full format in a card reader? I assume that Refresh Pro won't work on my Sony Tough cards. Oops, I mean this unnamed person's Sony Tough cards.
Hahaha, I was wondering the same thing 😬

I didn’t because I always heard the same thing, then I recently began doing it without issue. Then I received an email from ProGrade Digital discussing a different reason not to do it so I’ll be going back to not doing it. There reasoning makes me concerned for doing it on SSDs too, so not sure what to do, lol.
I read the information in the link. They say that reformatting the card doesn't help. AND they are marketing their Refresh Pro s/w. I 'm sure a call to them would answer whether or not their s/w works with cards from other brands. FWIW.....the s/w is only $10.....

The only time I don't delete in the camera is when the photos are so important that I don't want to take a chance on losing them. Once they're on the computer and copied to an external drive I delete them from the card in the camera and then format the card in-camera. Have never had an issue doing it that way and have done that since I got my first digital camera.

I know on Canon you can click low level format, which is supposed to wipe the fragmentation, or just a regular format. I delete freely in camera but once in a while run a low level format. No issues so far.

Reactions: Hut
I read the information in the link. They say that reformatting the card doesn't help. AND they are marketing their Refresh Pro s/w. I 'm sure a call to them would answer whether or not their s/w works with cards from other brands. FWIW.....the s/w is only $10.....
I think it only mentioned reformatting in camera doesn’t help since it only erases the data. I would think reformatting on a computer where you’re rebuilding the table would make a difference. I’m not clear on what the software is actual doing in its refresh stage. The health check part sounds like a worthwhile investment though as it could let you know when you’re reaching the end of the lifecycle of the card.

I’ve never seen an issue either way to date. Maybe it’s unique to the newer, faster, high capacity cards. Next they will be telling us not to delete at all.......

As I understand it the only thing that happens when a file is deleted is that the file is marked deleted in the FAT and the space used by that file is no longer reserved. When a card is formatted the FAT is just deleted or recreated. This is one of the reasons you can recover deleted files, if the space utilized by the deleted file was not used by a newer file, then the image data is still complete.

I know modern SSDs have the ability to utilized the disk storage consistently so that some portions of disk don't get used more than other. I don't know if cards have the same feature or not.

I don’t delete in camera unless I really need addition storage capacity, not that I have any sound reasoning for this, I just don’t usually do it. I think the fewer changes to the FAT in camera the better.

I was curious about the write cycles of memory cards, and you find everything from 1000 cycles to 10,000 cycles. If I fill and delete the card contents everyday, then the card should last from about 3 years to 30 years. Storage cards are one of those things that seem to get replaced because of the need for larger or faster cards long before I can wear them out.

It kind of sounds like you need their card reader as well as their special software to do this. It really sounds like a low level format, but maybe they have some kind of magic algorithm that works "better".

I use shooting banks in my Z9. I use save settings so I can reload them from the card when I need to reload them. Because of this I don't reformat the card instead I use delete all pictures to clear the card. The article doesn't mention that it just seems to adress deleting individual files. So far I've not had a problem but I think I'll use their refresh software every now and again to be on the safe side. I also use their CF Express card reader which is the fastest reader I have come across. I really rate Prograde products from from my experience so far.

I use shooting banks in my Z9. I use save settings so I can reload them from the card when I need to reload them. Because of this I don't reformat the card instead I use delete all pictures to clear the card. The article doesn't mention that it just seems to adress deleting individual files. So far I've not had a problem but I think I'll use their refresh software every now and again to be on the safe side. I also use their CF Express card reader which is the fastest reader I have come across. I really rate Prograde products from from my experience so far.

I carry my saved settings on a separate card, well, on 2 cards actually.

As I understand it the only thing that happens when a file is deleted is that the file is marked deleted in the FAT and the space used by that file is no longer reserved. When a card is formatted the FAT is just deleted or recreated. This is one of the reasons you can recover deleted files, if the space utilized by the deleted file was not used by a newer file, then the image data is still complete.

I know modern SSDs have the ability to utilized the disk storage consistently so that some portions of disk don't get used more than other. I don't know if cards have the same feature or not.

I don’t delete in camera unless I really need addition storage capacity, not that I have any sound reasoning for this, I just don’t usually do it. I think the fewer changes to the FAT in camera the better.

I was curious about the write cycles of memory cards, and you find everything from 1000 cycles to 10,000 cycles. If I fill and delete the card contents everyday, then the card should last from about 3 years to 30 years. Storage cards are one of those things that seem to get replaced because of the need for larger or faster cards long before I can wear them out.
CFExpress cards are large and do have wear leveling built into the firmware that operates the card. That technology applies to other modern memory cards as well.

Modern memory cards will handle 100,000 write cycles based on the spec for SD cards.

Here is a more complete article from Delkin on formatting memory cards. It talks about the need to format cards in the camera where they will be used and deep formatting options.

The article talks about wear leveling and card replacement.

I carry my saved settings on a separate card, well, on 2 cards actually.
I am always skeptical of articles like this when someone is peddling something to sell you. I’m sure there may be some logic in what they are saying but how much of an issue it really is makes me wonder.

Those 100k write cycles is for the full capacity. So imagine you have a 128 GB card, every day you start formatting and then fills it to the brim. Just before the card celebrates its 274 years birthday you'll reach the 100k cycles. Other issues will have occurred before ;)
If I during chimping finds an image that is not satisfying, I will not hesitate to delete it. Wear on the card is negligible and the risk that the camera writes on the space before next format is very limited, over the latest 12-15 years I can't recall to have had defects on files on my cards (SD or CFExp.)
About having 2 copies, that is reasonable because sometime the chimpanzee managing the files punch wrong keys

While that was all interesting reading it's not a real world problem for 90 percent of us. Maybe 99 percent of us. Though as someone mention now I am somewhat concerned about having SSDs in both of my computers. I have noticed my primary editing machine has slowed down significantly. I've been blaming LR but now wonder if it the SSD aging?

I don't delete images in-camera for a different reason: on Nikon cameras, it only deletes the image from your main card, not the back-up card*.

If, when you go to download, you feel the need to 'diff' the two cards to double-check for integrity (compare them to see if they are exactly the same, which boosts your confidence that all the writes were good**), they will not compare if you have deleted single images in the field.

At that point, you would have to go to manual compare, looking at the images on the backup card to verify that they are images that you *likely* deleted purposefully from the main card.

It's so much easier to just leave them alone so that any subsequent compare will be quick and painless.

Chris

* you could also then delete the image from the backup card at that point as well, but it would require that you switch slots first, then find that image to deleted it and ... if anybody does that, please speak up so we can put together a fund to get you some bigger cards
** if a bad write goes to both cards identically, then it's a camera issue rather than a card issue and you have larger problems.

Last edited:
Back