Deleting files in camera

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Another reason is that a lot of ettr shooters might have their camera set to neutral profiles with low sharpening, etc. So the blinkies and the histogram is a little more accurate. So you can't always judge in camera if it is crap.

I don't use a backup card, I often delete an image on the card, always reformat the card after downloading. Why is there a delete option on the camera if we are not supposed to use it? Does anyone have information direct from a card manufacturer that we are not supposed to delete from the card? I would not trust any other entity since everyone is selling something and there are a lot of "old wives tales" that circulate around photography. No problem so far after 10 years but there is still time yet for me to mess it up!

I don't think it's a problem deleting images in the camera, but you should format in the camera after you've uploaded images to your computer and backed up.
That has been my practice for years and I never had a problem, but I would only delete very few pics from the camera and not very often.

The only time I don't delete in the camera is when the photos are so important that I don't want to take a chance on losing them. Once they're on the computer and copied to an external drive I delete them from the card in the camera and then format the card in-camera. Have never had an issue doing it that way and have done that since I got my first digital camera.
Why do the extra step to delete in camera before formatting the card in camera which deletes the image.

Have been taught (and read) not to delete files in camera. Is that still true with modern cards and cameras (D500 and Z7)?
Solid state media doesnt store the same way as magnetic media.
Very very rarely it can become corrupt by a deletion.
Its always a good idea to allow a few extra seconds when turning off the camera 🦘

Why do the extra step to delete in camera before formatting the card in camera which deletes the image.

No reason really other than I've gotten in the habit of doing it that way and if I've only taken 50 or 60 photos on any one day I don't bother formatting the card. Today I took somewhere around 600 images and formatted the card -- after deleting the images. Guess I'm just a creature of habit sometimes (maybe always).

My feeling on this subject - deleting images in-camera only builds a bad habit. This habit saves you no measurable amount of time, and arguably costs you time in the field - because in virtually all applications, this culling process is much faster.

The reason it's a bad habit is simple - the more you do it, the more you risk missing another moment. Your eyes are down staring at your pretty camera instead of up / out looking and being ready for... the next image. Takes us right out of the "zone".

If I'm looking at my display, it's generally only to adjust settings and check exposure. Also to review images with (human) subjects from time to time. Build good habits. :)

[/QUOTE] My feeling on this subject - deleting images in-camera only builds a bad habit. This habit saves you no measurable amount of time, and arguably costs you time in the field - because in virtually all applications, this culling process is much faster.

The reason it's a bad habit is simple - the more you do it, the more you risk missing another moment. Your eyes are down staring at your pretty camera instead of up / out looking and being ready for... the next image. Takes us right out of the "zone".

If I'm looking at my display, it's generally only to adjust settings and check exposure. Also to review images with (human) subjects from time to time. Build good habits. :)
[/QUOTE]

You apparently misunderstood my reply, I NEVER delete an image from the camera until all the photographs from that day have been downloaded to the computer and I've checked to make sure they're there. Anyone who deletes missed images from the camera in the field is making a mistake and may inadvertently make a big mistake and delete important photos.

Deleting an image from the Camera is no different that deleting a file on your computer. It is safe to do so.

I don't chimp (much) but do check images for exposure and to make sure the camera is working well. If I find an image that is badly off I will delete then. likewise if I hear the shutter go off accidentally, I'll clear those off my card (if I have down time - not while action is about to happen).

My advise is do not chimp but do check image. If you have down time when you are sure there is no action, check your images.

Back