Direct comparison 800mm f6.3 vs 600mm f4 FL

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have been using long lenses with good results for at least 14 months. My motivation in considering a lighter long lens was weight on long photo expeditions as opposed to one-off hikes. My frustration had to do especially with the first copy of 800mm and then I was surprised I was not getting particularly good results with the second copy as well. Turning back to my trusty 600mm f4e I realised that I am not having good time with this either, to a lesser degree but still noticeable.

I am now pursuing two parallel investigations of my raw files and equipment by Nikon UK and a vendor here. My current suspicion is that the Z9 may have dirty sensor or a mechanical fault due to several falls on hard surface. I am afraid there is nothing more substantial I can say until this is confirmed or debunked. It is all on the clock as I need to either return or accept the second 800mm lens.

I'll post an update here when I have some clarity.

Many thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

I'm betting something will come back and be faulty in the body with that report.

In January 2024 I dropped my Z9 + 400TC from shoulder height to cement. While both appeared okay, they both had internal issues that required fixing. These are complex pieces of tech and there are many things that our untrained eyes cannot see.

I think you'll soon be in a place to appreciate and love the 800PF. Best of luck.

Just to update on this, I have approved now the following repairs of which the Z9 ones are the most important ones for this thread.

Nikon: Z 9​

There is an impact damage affecting the external unit. We need to set up and recalibrate, check & clean, replace parts as described and sensor clean full.

AF-S 600/4E FL ED VR​

There is an optical misalignment affecting the Focus System. We need to replace parts as described, set up and recalibrate and check & clean.

Just to give closure to this thread. I have received my camera and lens from repairs. I think Fixation have done a good job but I am still uncertain about this Z9 copy's performance. The 800mm 6.3 is now returned. Instead, below photo (55% resized) is taken with my new lens: NIKKOR Z 600mm f/4 TC VR S Z at 840mm f5.6 1/1600 ISO 1250. I am going to also see how a brand new Z8 will work with this new lens and in the extreme case I am not happy, possibly return everything and go Canon R5 Mk2 or Sony.
_ZSC1712_01-600TC.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you received your gear back and they were able to repair the issues. Hopefully, it wasn't too expensive and the equipment will perform to your satisfaction. I have a sneaking suspicion that this was one of the reasons behind your angst with the 800.

Many thanks for your well wishes, I need those. The bewildering behaviour of my Z9 prior to the repairs was err frustrating. With this new lens and a new camera to collect tomorrow and check the day after, Nikon better deliver as for my much maligned technique :) it's been on the spot here for all to see.

Back