Disclosing Wildlife Locations On a Public Forum -Your Thoughts

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to throw in a different angle, if you do spot a bird that's out of range or simply unusual, isn't a good idea for that info to be included in a data set so it's area and numbers are better understood for conversation? Perhaps a selective sharing of the sighting is actually helpful in some cases. I feel as photographers and nature lovers we owe it to professional conservationists to help build up informed data.

As mentioned previously - the eBird system provides a world-wide public database of bird sighting data including locations. It has both desktop and mobile apps for entering bird sighting information as well as viewing the data. It's a project managed by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

As mentioned previously - the eBird system provides a world-wide public database of bird sighting data including locations. It has both desktop and mobile apps for entering bird sighting information as well as viewing the data. It's a project managed by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

And bird life SA have some great projects running as well. It's a question of balance, rat pack casual "I'm so clever" posting seems iffy to me, but something that's going to help increase a data set is something I'd compromise on.

Wow, I am amazed at the thoughtful and considerate replies ! It is so nice to see the respect for the wildlife we all love to photograph. Thank you all for your thoughts and further education on this matter.

I never share nor will I ever share locations on a forum or other social media.

The problem with the concept to share info with those you think you can trust is a simple one.
There’s allways at least one which happens to be not trustworthy.
Sounds bitter and it is, but I’ve seen that happen more than once.
It’s a bit like telling a secret to your best friend who passes that info to his best friend and so on.....
Before you know it that secret is a public secret reaching ‘a best friend’ who wouldn’t qualify to be your best friend at all.

In the Netherlands they have a site Waarneming.nl where people can pass info about sightings of rare species.
Resulting in literrally hundreds of photogs jumping in their cars to go to that location and shoot that species

a pic tells more than a thousand words...
(Shot within half an hour after the first sighting):oops:

OR

OR

OR

Wow, those pictures certainly do tell the story of how quickly word spreads and how determined it can be !!! Thank you posting the links.

I never share nor will I ever share locations on a forum or other social media.

The problem with the concept to share info with those you think you can trust is a simple one.
There’s always at least one which happens to be not trustworthy.
Sounds bitter and it is, but I’ve seen that happen more than once.
It’s a bit like telling a secret to your best friend who passes that info to his best friend and so on.....
Before you know it that secret is a public secret reaching ‘a best friend’ who wouldn’t qualify to be your best friend at all.

👏👏👏 Took the words right out of my mouth.

Reminds me of Benjamin Franklins quote - “Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.”

I certainly won't share on IG or FB (beyond, generally speaking, Province/State and if that) where I've photographed specific animals but I will share with a select group of friends in person (as I'm often shooting with them) if I've found something interesting. However, even with this I'm becoming increasingly selective. Once in the field, it's interesting to observe the behaviour of your fellow photographers. As with so many endeavours there is a code of conduct to be observed. With us, respect and distance to the animal are paramount. I expect that to be observed and will say something to folks if it isn't.

Just to throw in a different angle, if you do spot a bird that's out of range or simply unusual, isn't a good idea for that info to be included in a data set so it's area and numbers are better understood for conversation? Perhaps a selective sharing of the sighting is actually helpful in some cases. I feel as photographers and nature lovers we owe it to professional conservationists to help build up informed data.
you can always check with your local authorities. my local wildlife refuge had an office in the refuge that was usually open pre-covid where we could report rare sightings or injured animals. the state's fish and wildlife agency also has a guy who keeps track of rare sighting, though they're less concerned about birds than they are about the random bear or bobcat that crosses the northern border.

I refuse to give any specific location info on social media. I have a list of responsible people I will share info with privately and another list of "oh hell no" people. I've seen first hand what can result. A few winters ago there was a snowy owl irruption and word got out about a specific location. Within days there were more cars with out of state plates than locals and the photographers were obnoxious to the point they had photos taken of them harrassing the owls which were forwarded to the State Conservation Police (license plates were included!) Another instance a rather infamous local photographer set up a lawn chair under a Great Horned Owl nest and sat there for many hours every day to the point the owls left the area.
I certainly appreciate tips from friends but have never shared any info when asked not to. There is one particular spot where osprey dive that I was told of (in reality I had found it on my own the year before!) but I was also asked not to share the location with anyone. The location can only accomodate one or 2 photographers at a time so a large crowd would only lead to problems.

Yes, it is far too often that so many have no respect for the wildlife . Nice to see that other would report the dangerous behavior. Again, it is so refreshing to hear these reports of how you go respect and protect the animals.

Never, never, never!!!! Years ago I took a wildlife-oriented group on a hike to a remote area during which I showed them a rare orchid in bud. When I went back a few days later to photograph the flower there was naught but a hole in the ground. Months later one of the people on that hike mentioned that she had one of those orchids in her garden. I learned my lesson and have never again disclosed the location of anything.

Oh that is horrible ! I guess nothing is sacred anymore and what one wants one takes .

The so called Utah Monolith attracted so much attention in a week that it has resulted in incredible damage to the environment: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/12...5QXlEUFgk-tsb5eZ18YjxTTfa03ZkebPKyxmioWhpxKqU

Sad, what happens.

I'm in agreement of most here. The well known spots I will share and with some trust / respect I will share other info but only if I know that person. But honestly part of the fun of wildlife photography is finding it, and having the least amount of interaction as possible. I learned this many years ago when I was out deer hunting, I was up in a stand and I had a doe and 3 fons walk within 20 feet of me... they had no idea I was there... they played, fed, and bedded down... the interaction from them was one of the most special wildlife experiences I've ever had. I ended up watching them for over 2 hours, until they slowly walked back into the woods at dusk.

I'm in agreement of most here. The well known spots I will share and with some trust / respect I will share other info but only if I know that person. But honestly part of the fun of wildlife photography is finding it, and having the least amount of interaction as possible. I learned this many years ago when I was out deer hunting, I was up in a stand and I had a doe and 3 fons walk within 20 feet of me... they had no idea I was there... they played, fed, and bedded down... the interaction from them was one of the most special wildlife experiences I've ever had. I ended up watching them for over 2 hours, until they slowly walked back into the woods at dusk.
That's a great point. I think the reason I do wildlife photography is exactly for that one-on-one experience with an animal. With every person added to the scene, the enjoyment drops down a notch.

But Phil, burros and goats are not generally considered wildlife.... 🤡

Very true Rassie. There are "wild" white-tailed deer but they're so common no one cares about knowing where they can photographed - we just step out into the yard.

There's a few unusual critters such as the Ring-tailed cat - but those are nocturnal so the light is usually not good for photos. :D

There is a way keep your reports hidden from the public on ebird, at least there used to be. I haven't reported in quite a while. That way it is recorded for science but won't alert the throngs. I have completely retreated from the birding community for all of the reason previously stated in this thread. There is a Snowy Owl on a rooftop in Seattle at the moment and there are hordes of people there daily interrupting its daily rest, which is imperative for its survival.

It's interest the perspective people have on this topic and I feel it's also related to population densities and accessibility. I have given and received tips on locations of a few birds within my local area on Instagram mostly via DM to people that are of the same interest as I and have no issues with that. Also, we've discussed general area sightings of birds.

However, for me and a local perspective we're lucky to come across maybe two or four other photographers at any one time in a location (except maybe a well known tourist attractions/events) and i feel this is down to the our population densities etc.

I see photo like those recently shot a Conowingo Dam etc. and see the number of people there and it does my head in... I simply would not go at the same time.

So I guess the ability to stress the animal with lower populations are less due to the numbers of potential people that may go there, but for me, I'm definitely in the camp of the moment and experience sitting quietly in nature and observing animal go about their day without negative influence by man.

This brings out the teacher in me! I will not give you the answer! I will do everything I can to help you find the answer for yourself. I will share all knowledge, techniques, and tricks I have learned and hopefully you will not only find the answer yourself but you will develop the passion for pursuing the answer and you will appreciate the process. If you just have the answer you haven't learned anything.

We have to be mentors to those pursuing the same passions we are. Share the knowledge, but make them find the answers for themselves. If they are not willing to follow the process then they don't really have the passion for the activity.

I believe this is the focus of this forum and why I appreciate being a part of it.

I live in the sparsely populated middle of the USA, Kansas. I have a quartet of not-that-far-away wildlife refuges so whenever I post a photo from there, I cite it, including broadly the location I found it because that's what those locations are for - the animals and those that love them. Otherwise I just use what county I was in for public posts.

I suspect that there is a big difference between those who live in very populated areas and those that don't.

I share some of my sighting locations in great detail, BUT some have more detail of location than others, some only hints.
The Pink Robin site I shared here "https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/morning-outing-290920.2700/" had great detail but only by downloading the linked location file, did not have a great leap in attendance after posting.
During my visits to that site there were easily over 1 hundred people that walked through the site, only about 5 actually heard or saw the bird or asked what I was photographing.
Only one other photographer turned up whilst I was there, but he was there after visiting other sites on the mountain not because of my site information.

There will always be problems sharing locations, I have seen this with orchids, not so much with wildlife but I am only a beginner with birds so my experience is limited.

Troubles come with "development", "tourism", "social media" and the intense "I must have" attitude of some, fortunately most of the issues are covered over by nature in a short time span, others not so.

I will share with others but if I find that that trust is being abused or if there is little reciprocal sharing then I will not share with them again.

Seeing images of such large crowds very scary & sad.
A Kenya Photographer had informed me what goes on in their parks & I can't believe wildlife photographers could have such low respect for the animals they shoot.
So nice to read above post with the respect you all have for animals.

Having watched people banging pots and pans to wake up sleeping owls, I don’t tell others where I see things either. That is unless I have seen them around and know what kind of person they are.

The worst I’ve seen is people invading other peoples property to get shots, parking all over destroying lawns, gardens etc just for a photo, so sad.

Seeing images of such large crowds very scary & sad.
A Kenya Photographer had informed me what goes on in their parks & I can't believe wildlife photographers could have such low respect for the animals they shoot.
So nice to read above post with the respect you all have for animals.
Don't get me on to that rant. Main drag in Mara is the worst, but the triangle is better controlled and conservancy areas better still. I was in Amboseli in Feb and guide behaviour was awful. Meru is well regulated and Tsavo East has low vehicle density (I'll see about 5 other vehicles on a day) so it's not all bad. The problem is trophy hunters who want everything ticked in a week. A driver here will typically earn 3-400 dollars a month, and when they can put 200 in their pocket for a couple of days guiding they'll try to get you your shots at any price and when there isn't control by rangers they're aggressive and unprincipled. It becomes a habit and when I went to Mara a few months ago in the hope of less people it was a real challenge to get the driver to change. Very strong words needed and repeatedly needed. There's a difference between a photographer who collects trophies and one who is a nature lover who wants record the stunning beauty and dynamics of the world to share.

Squawk I was told about drivers & how bad some are. Easy to do for the money yet it's the bad Photographers that are the problem as they want that behaviour.
I heard migrations were the worse & so over crowded. Poor animals.
Their actions are so disrespectful & not sure how they could call themselves wildlife photographers.
As you mentioned I was told about the well controlled areas & those type of Photographers avoided those places.

Never! I only give vague locations to mine. such as "Central Washington". Especially when the subject is nesting birds or the like.
The Audubon Society has several web pages on etiquette that are pretty much common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back