diy cfe-b cards

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

so i got the contraption and it seems to work ok but in-camera performance looks just like the cfe-b cards for both the T705 and the 970 EVO+, which is to say, it cannot run without buffering, with both lossless and he* (you will see the buffer creep down to 0 and then some sputtering. it can *almost* keep up with HE*, but it does not keep up. if it could keep up, the "r"emaining counter would never get to 0)

settings are visible in case anyone spots issues. af disabled, flicker disabled, iso set to manual, 1/3200s.

i may do some benchmarking of this setup out of camera just to see how far the current fast cards are from desktop modules, but so far, all evidence suggests the z9 cannot currently sustain 20fps indefinitely and the likely culprit is the camera, not the cards.

i'm still wondering if there is only one pci lane in use here. my seat-of-the-pants tests suggest it can sustain about 15 fps, maybe a tad slower, which works out almost exactly to one pci lane's worth of bandwidth (note this would be similar to like a Raspberry Pi 5, which supports nvme with a single lane)

View attachment 85141
Are you sure the contraption doesn’t have some limits? I was looking at these for backup options. I thought they had some.

Are you sure the contraption doesn’t have some limits? I was looking at these for backup options. I thought they had some.
these devices have no circuits. they are simply (electro-)physical adapters.

am i sure? no, i don't think i'd go quite that far.

we might get some better feel if i can get some benchmark numbers using my pci-to-cfe-b adapter card.

but all my results are consistent. ALL the high end cards, including the lexar diamond which i measured at 1666.42MB/s and that should pretty comfortably support 20fps lossless.

i spent many, many hours trying to get my four sabrent rocket 4.0 2230 drives to the current fw level.

i had four of these drives, 2 x 512GB, 2 x 1TB, and i managed to get only half of them updated. in all cases they were all one rev behind in fw.

i will say that my pc does not like those particular drives connected in any way other than usb (which isn't a method i can use to flash).

my system won't boot with those connected via pci to m.2 adapter, nor via pci to cfe-b adapter, nor in a motherboard m.2 slot.

for a while there i started to think it was just my system, but i confirmed that i could use a different m.2 module in the pci to m.2 adapter in any of the pci slots.

i don't know if these drives are "bad" or what. they work when used via usb and in the camera, but this inability to work in this way and my inability to get their fw up to date makes me trust them less and highlights a risk with the diy approach. i think this will all be better on thunderbolt systems since i understand we can flash thunderbolt connected devices, and there are lots of thunderbolt enclosures, and now even thunderbolt cfe-b readers that we can use

i’ve decided to do one last performance related test. there are some intel optane m.2 modules on fire sale and they have incredibly low latency. i’ve ordered on of these and will try it in the m.2 to cfe adapter in-camera

i actually have a little expectation that if these run at all that it’ll run somewhat faster in camera than anything we’ve seen before since while i think the camera is the bottleneck, these should reduce the time the camera is waiting between operations

Intel OPTANE SSD P1600X Series 118GB M.2​

Last edited:
optane in-camera test is a bust. green light goes on and never goes off. GUESSING it doesn't get enough power. works in a card reader in the same rig.

suggestions welcome, but seems like it's a bust

INTEL SSDPEK1A118GA : 118.4 GB
FW: U5110550

Back