Do you agree with the judges?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I violate your rules often on Facebook. I post many photos of my wife there that I would not dream of posting here.

Why?

Because I am losing her, millions of brain cells at a time. This is for me and her friends to celebrate the lady I have loved for more than fifty years.

They love the pictures and I know they are not worthy of a professional. In this, I am happy to be an amateur.
THAT is a totally different situation and I agree with you totally!!!!!! That is the way is should be for FAMILY. Nothing more important than family.

I was addressing sites showcasing a photographer's best images and demonstrating their skills as a photographer......whether for paid income or bragging rights.

You have a really lovely portfolio, love the frogs
Ahhhh.....thank you so much! I don't "do" social media or drive traffic to my website. It is really a labor of love. Sometimes I look at the website and think "WHO created all these images?" LOL!

Ahhhh.....thank you so much! I don't "do" social media or drive traffic to my website. It is really a labor of love. Sometimes I look at the website and think "WHO created all these images?" LOL!
You have a very diverse range of great photos, they reflect the love of wht you do, you get around that's for certain.
Your web site is logical and very user friendly.

So may i ask what your main kit consists of especially when traveling.

You have a very diverse range of great photos, they reflect the love of wht you do, you get around that's for certain.
Your web site is logical and very user friendly.

So may i ask what your main kit consists of especially when traveling.
Thank you for your kind comments.

My kit has evolved over the years. My all time favorite set up was the D5 and D850. I could do ANYTHING comfortably with those 2 bodies. I'll get there with the Z9.....but it is definitely taking a lot more work on my part.

Wildlife/Africa: Was D5 and D850...now Z9. Lenses: was 600mm f4 E with or without 1.4 tele and 80-400 AF-S Now 600mm F4 E with and without 1.4 tele and Z100-400 with or without Z1.4 tele

Architecture: Was D850 Now Z9 Lenses now: Z's 14-24 and 24-70 f2.8's and 100-400

Macro: was D850 now Z9. Lens unchanged....105 f2.8 micro But I don't use do macro much at all.....

IR....still have a converted D7000...... am selling it.

Thank you for your kind comments.

My kit has evolved over the years. My all time favorite set up was the D5 and D850. I could do ANYTHING comfortably with those 2 bodies. I'll get there with the Z9.....but it is definitely taking a lot more work on my part.

Wildlife/Africa: Was D5 and D850...now Z9. Lenses: was 600mm f4 E with or without 1.4 tele and 80-400 AF-S Now 600mm F4 E with and without 1.4 tele and Z100-400 with or without Z1.4 tele

Architecture: Was D850 Now Z9 Lenses now: Z's 14-24 and 24-70 f2.8's and 100-400

Macro: was D850 now Z9. Lens unchanged....105 f2.8 micro But I don't use do macro much at all.....

IR....still have a converted D7000...... am selling it.
Thank you for sharing, very interesting, your photos say a lot.

I am a F2.8....... F4........... lover, 70-200 F2.8 FL, plus 1.4 tc, 300 F2.8 VR II plus 1.4 and 2x TC, SOLD the 600 F4 and i rent or borrow a 600 f4 when ever needed, I substitute with a 200-500 in good conditions.

Sold the D4s D5 bought 2x D850, sold one D850 last year and got a Z9 with a 50mm 1.8 s and use FX glass with adapter, i don't want to invest in Z glass just yet till i see the tangible advantages the Z9 may bring to my photography.
There isn't anything i cant achieve with a D6.

Like you said just so easy to do anything and everything so comfortably with the D5 D850.

I have found the Z9 needs much more care, work, caution but doesn't really make my photos better.....at this point that i have seen.

I violate your rules often on Facebook. I post many photos of my wife there that I would not dream of posting here.

Why?

Because I am losing her, millions of brain cells at a time. This is for me and her friends to celebrate the lady I have loved for more than fifty years.

They love the pictures and I know they are not worthy of a professional. In this, I am happy to be an amateur.
You're doing it the way it should be done. Unless you're a pro, to me contests are for inflating (or deflating) egos . In my opinion, a good photograph is one that has meaning to you or illustrates something you want to show or one you want to mount on the wall. We all have preferences, what one person likes another may hate and vice versa.

I think judging in competitions especially in a club environment has a lot of benefits. Open or international competitions are simply next level that challenges you to work and do better, if that's what you want.

We have one of if not the largest clubs in Australia, each month we have a competition,
each months competition the subject can be any one of the subjects on the calendar, example macro, back light, Juxta position, landscape, nature, macro, etc etc
You may enter a set subject listed on the calendar or you can simply put one image into the open competition, or one in set one in open, basically what ever you like.

Each monthly competition has a reputable highly experienced judge that CONSTRUCTIVELY talks about each entry, whats good about it, what it means, what colud be done better, the point is the entrant learns somthing about their own work, as well as seeing hundreds of other images judged again for the good the bad the ugly.

We have seen many novices join our club and after 3 to 4 years being amongst hundreds of talented helpful people see the novice grow in skill and develop their artistic capability to the point where they are winning awards even some in the PSA regulated competitions of America.

Many enjoy the challenge of club competitions, others don't do the competitions, all enjoy the club social aspect and friendship, learning from the large pool of uniquely skilled people.

We have "Get to know your Camera" days every 3 months for the beginners, expert or highly experienced uses of cameras spend 4 hours showing anything and everything about your camera and lens, settings technique etc, we have 3 levels of editing you photo days, for $20 including some lunch like sandwiches tea and coffee you get 6 hours of professional class room like lessons using PS and LR using your own Lap top or you can share one from the club, its done every 3 months, we have a guest speakers each week, people offering photographic trips to Africa, Madagascar, Asia, the Artic etc, we have Nikon, Canon Sony Sigma etc all come along during the year and do presentations with hands on gear on display yes you can touch and feel even the latest gear that you may still be waiting delivery on.

Entering competitions is optional, many elect to enjoy the social aspect and go on the monthly group outings.

Above all, Judges are not always right, one can like the work this month next month a different judge may not.
But i find no one gets fragile about it they simply learn something each month.
Competitions in the main are meant to have you challenge your self, or learn more, and enjoy the growth path, competitions are not for everyone either.
Constructive judging really helps at all levels to make what you do better, if your photos are to a standard of excellence then yes competitions may not be of interest.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
I would have selected it in 4, 3, 1,2 for my eye but that the thing about photo contest judging . It's all about the personal desire of those selected to judge. I have entered a few and won my first one this year, after trying several times. I just enjoying my hobby during retirement.
"Shoot the subjects that draw your eyes through the camera"

Pleasing your self and what you do with photography comes first at all times.

Competitions and having your work judged is a choice, for so many it builds confidence and provides inspiration.

Entering competitions can be a very positive means of finding or developing your style and technique say in composition as well as technicality.

Judges who choose and award just on what they like and don't like are not really good judges and serve no purpose..

A true judge simply can look at any photo in any subject and consistently evaluate the following......

a) a message, story connection for the viewer that evokes emotion, interest,
b) be technically sound, but not obsessively at the expense of the real power of a)
c) recognize a wow factor.

A judge should speak of the photo for its positives - negatives, highlight constructive ways to correct any errors or improve composition.

To be considerate to the author, a judge should start with a positive, then address the negative and finish with a positive along with constructive suggestions on how to improve the photo, this is also in order to minimize offending or discouraging the author.

Open international competitions, judging should be fundamentally or in principal the same, often just to a higher level of perfection and subject specification and technically.

The above is what is taught at photographic judging courses by recognized accredited associations here in OZ.

Only an opinion

Try the three-second rule! If it holds your attention for this length of time or more, it's a keeper. Otherwise don't bother entering it in a photo contest.
If it takes 3 seconds for me to decide on a single image, it's not good enough. :) Comparing two very good images often takes more time. But there are images I keep as part of telling a story. Every image does not need to be a feature image - you need supporting images as well. It's easy to get so focused on making 5 star images that you forget to gather supporting material.

A version of this I use when judging is to look at a contact sheet of 20 images. I still review each image, but a strong image usually jumps out compared to the others. That approach does not catch important details, but it does highlight composition, color, simplicity, lighting, and clean backgrounds.

I use a funnel approach both for judging and my own selects. My initial goal is to eliminate the images with a major flaw and those that don't stand out or show something special. Then I look closer within the group that remains to identify Selects that will be edited. Selects might be chosen based on eye contact, a catchlight, wing or leg position, etc. Depending on what I photograph, I eliminate 99-100% of images where the head is angled slightly away from the camera for any reason. Crossed legs are usually grounds for deletion unless a tight crop will save it. Catchlights can be an easy edit if that is the only flaw. Cutting off something unintentionally (like a wing tip or a leg) or having an intersect (or overlap) is usually reason for a delete or not choosing as a Select.

Hard, as they're all different types of subject. I see most responders here would put #4 as 1, but for me it needs a bit more contrast. I would vote 2,1,4,3 - but iI think it's totally subjective. They're all good!

I've never understood the need to enter photo contests. I have nothing against anyone doing so, I just don't understand the need.

In the interest of honesty, I did participate in one once in a local, but rather large club, a long time ago. I watched as one of the judges (who had a photo entered in the contest) awarded himself perfect points while scoring others lower than himself. I left and never returned; nor have I seen a reason to be in a photo contest at any level since then.

I make images for me, and share them in the hope that others will enjoy them also.

Why?

I hope that you continue to add photos of her and that you have a very long time in which to do so. Family trumps all else. You have my best wishes.

I've never understood the need to enter photo contests. I have nothing against anyone doing so, I just don't understand the need.

In the interest of honesty, I did participate in one once in a local, but rather large club, a long time ago. I watched as one of the judges (who had a photo entered in the contest) awarded himself perfect points while scoring others lower than himself. I left and never returned; nor have I seen a reason to be in a photo contest at any level since then.

I make images for me, and share them in the hope that others will enjoy them also.
Sounds like sour grapes. Its a thrill being recognized and having your photo on a magazine cover, calendars, newspapers, TV weather shows, magazine articles, Nikon tutorial books and other general photo contests.

What took place is unprofessional and unethical.

Don't let one bad experience spoil what is largely a excellent thing for photography.

Many organized competitions stipulate a Judge is not permitted to enter a competition they are involved in judging.

As a rule a judge is not permitted to judge their own image in a competition, That's a serious NO NO.

Competitions are not for all but for many who get wonderful joy and learn from the experience that enhances their love and skill sets in the art of photography.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
I judge a number of contests and images every year. The main reason people participate is they want to get an idea of how their images are viewed by others. Sometimes that is recognition, but in many cases it's also for an objective perspective. I know one good photographer who always enters at least 1-2 new ideas when participating in a competition - something that is unusual or unconventional rather than just a pretty or well done image.

If you participate in a competition, you enter with the assumption that judges each have different experiences, preferences, and hot buttons. PPA probably does the best job of reaching consensus. There are a lot of contests that reflect the perception of a single judge - and that implies more variable perspectives and results. The same image may have wildly different scoring or evaluation with a single judge.

I do think it is normal for a judge to not participate in a competition they are judging - even if it is just abstaining from voting on their own images. There are some exceptions for gallery exhibits where the judge may be skilled enough to be one of 20 or one of 100 accepted entries and prizes are not awarded by the judge. Judging winners - first, second and third place - is very subjective as often the candidates are very close. Even using pure scoring is hard to reconcile without discussion or debate when a single winner needs to be selected.

I judge a number of contests and images every year. The main reason people participate is they want to get an idea of how their images are viewed by others. Sometimes that is recognition, but in many cases it's also for an objective perspective. I know one good photographer who always enters at least 1-2 new ideas when participating in a competition - something that is unusual or unconventional rather than just a pretty or well done image.

If you participate in a competition, you enter with the assumption that judges each have different experiences, preferences, and hot buttons. PPA probably does the best job of reaching consensus. There are a lot of contests that reflect the perception of a single judge - and that implies more variable perspectives and results. The same image may have wildly different scoring or evaluation with a single judge.

I do think it is normal for a judge to not participate in a competition they are judging - even if it is just abstaining from voting on their own images. There are some exceptions for gallery exhibits where the judge may be skilled enough to be one of 20 or one of 100 accepted entries and prizes are not awarded by the judge. Judging winners - first, second and third place - is very subjective as often the candidates are very close. Even using pure scoring is hard to reconcile without discussion or debate when a single winner needs to be selected.
"Many organized competitions stipulate a Judge is not permitted to enter a competition they are involved in judging."

Many competitions means Many and Not all as well.............

Here in Oz we usually don't see judges entering a competition their Judging, we are a small tribe of 25 million living on an island that is about as big as the USA LOL, we tend to all know each other very well, LOL

if it is accepted that they can enter a comp then they must as you say abstain from judging on their own work.

We have a strong club competition each month and it is driven for learning and sharing, open competitions like nationals and internationals are run often under different rules or criteria compared to our club comps often one judge only.

We run A B grade in our club, you have to earn a certain amount of points to graduate to A grade, many of our really skilled photographers do our club comps as well as open and internationals........... they can be awarded a distinction for the number of acceptances internationally and of course distinction awards for prizes won such as silver Gold Bronze honorable mention, if your award card gets full enough you can be given some letters to put behind your name as a accredited photographer, a bit like doing a Uni degree LOL.
Example You are now John Smith AIPP, PPE, APSA etc etc.........very satisfying for those driven.

Its all horses for courses but great if you want to be challenged and drive your creative skills.......

Only an opinion

Back