Do you gimbal your 800pf?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've gone down the rabbit hole of tripod/gimbal options for my 800pf. I think I've finally settled on the PMG 34 series tripod and katana jr. gimbal head. It's a 2 thousand dollar investment so I thought I'd ask here first, if the gimbal really makes a big difference with a lens like the 800pf?

I can and have been handholding the lens for periods of time, but definitely need more breaks than I did with the 500pf. I shoot primarily birds and mammals, with 80% stills, 20% video. My old travel sized gitzo + ball head are just not cutting it anymore.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I try to use tripod and gimbal with the 800 when possible. I have found that use of a ,tripod and gimbal helps with image sharpness.

I use a Gitzo systematic 3 series tripod with a Wimberley 200 gimbal.

I also have a RRS monopod with a Wimberley 100 mini gimbal. The monopod does not necessarily guarantee a more stable platform but it does help with managing the lens/camera. The monopod makes carrying things around easier and in some situations it can be stabilized effectively especially if I am seated.

I shoot my Z 800 mm PF handheld a lot with a Z9 or Z8. I also shoot it on a tripod (RRS TVC 24L) generally with a Flexshooter Pro head, especially if I add the Z 1.4x TC. The Flexshooter Pro head is a bit of a hybrid between a gimbal and ball head. I saw one on a photo trip and decided to get one. I‘ve liked it with my Z9 and Z 800 mm PF.

I also have a full RRS gimbal. I find myself preferring the Flexshooter Pro to it for wildlife.

I shoot my Z 800 mm PF handheld a lot with a Z9 or Z8. I also shoot it on a tripod (RRS TVC 24L) generally with a Flexshooter Pro head, especially if I add the Z 1.4x TC. The Flexshooter Pro head is a bit of a hybrid between a gimbal and ball head. I saw one on a photo trip and decided to get one. I‘ve liked it with my Z9 and Z 800 mm PF.

I also have a full RRS gimbal. I find myself preferring the Flexshooter Pro to it for wildlife.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the Flexshooter head...

The vast majority of the time when I am hiking I am carrying two bodies, one with the 800 PF and the other with the 180-600 attached on a dual harness. If I am traveling to a static destination such as an airshow, a particular beach, etc. then it might be affixed on a tri/monopod. I've used both gimbals and flexshooter pro. The Flexshooter is good and easy to use, though it is not a gimbal (not as smooth) and has a more limited ROM. My choice for gimbals for years has been wimberley.

I have a heavy Gitzo tripod with a Wimberley gimbal which I use with the 800 PF if I'm driving to a location or local. My travel tripod, when I fly, is a Gitzo series 3 carbon fiber tripod and a RRS BH-55 ball head. I then us the Wimberley sidekick to give me a gimbal-like mount for the 800 PF and I've also use this setup extensively with my 400 f2.8. A true gimbal is better, but this setup works remarkably well for me.

I shoot my 800 PF mainly hand held. That said, if I'm gonna be in one spot for a long time, I'll setup with my tripod and FlexShooter Pro ball head with the quick release lever to get it loose quickly for BIF handholding.
I used to use a Wimberley WH-200 but since trying to downsize/lighten up equipment(getting old sucks), I've switched to the FlexShooter.
Good luck

Does a gimbal make a difference for the 800PF?

For image quality, I would say no in 99% of situations. When I'm using the 800PF I'm often between 1/1000 and 1/8000 shutter, which is plenty sharp even when handholding.

For bodily fatigue? Sure, but not as much as other lenses obviously. I can handhold the 800PF without issue. It's not until the 400/600TC that I find myself wanting a tripod or gimbal.

I certainly wouldn't spend $2K on a tripod/gimbal setup just to use with the 800PF. I'd spend $300 on a monopod setup, or $1000 max on a tripod setup.

I use it hand held or on a monopod with a tilt head (Sirui L-10) or on a video head (Sachtler ACE XL). The very fast and accurate autofocus with subject detection of the Z9 makes shooting hand held possible. With my DSLR lenses I often used manual override for the focus with subjects.

The video head works very well and provides smoother panning and better access to the camera's controls as compared to my gimbal heads. At a weight of 3.7 lb it is a little bit heavier but that is compensated by the much lighter 800mm PF lens when compared to a 600mm f/4 with or without a a teleconverter.

The 800mm PF lens with the Z9 balances at a point about one inch forward of the foot and so I do not need a long lens plate and can use a replacement foot, the $50 Haoge LF-Z48, with its Arca-Swiss groove (and a Niceyrig adapter with the video head).

The internal image stabilization of the mirrorless camera makes a great deal of difference and so a less stable platform can be used for longer exposures and even when shooting video. I first saw this with the Olympus MFT E-M1 camera and a 300mm lens where I could take macro shots at 1/10s hand held and have a perfectly sharp image. This would not have been possible with a DSLR camera.

The video head works very well and provides smoother panning and better access to the camera's controls as compared to my gimbal heads. At a weight of 3.7 lb it is a little bit heavier but that is compensated by the much lighter 800mm PF lens when compared to a 600mm f/4 with or without a a teleconverter.
Would you say that shooting video with a gimbal is not possible or just "not as good" as a fluid head?

At first I was able to hand hold the Z9/800PF combo. With age and strength limitations, I now use it with either the Promaster SP532K/GH26 Gimbal head for fixed location shooting. If on a short walk, I will use the MPV432+ monopod and the SPH45P ball head with the Induro sidekick gimbal mount. This equipment set works within my budget- age, and physical limitations/requirements allowing me to get more and better shots. I seldom do video. You may choose different brands to meet your needs, but these basic set-ups can cover a lot of what many people will need.

I use 800PF on Z9. I am very happy when I can use my Gitzo gimbal (GHFG1) in my (floating) hide because I am there a few hours and sometimes in a difficult position. The gimbal also helps in having as little movements as possible. When walking around I am very happy with the VR assistance and don't take extra weight with me .

A gimbal is not going to be as smooth for panning with video and this will be apparent in the film clip and why videographers use a special head and spend a lot in doing so.
I bought the Gitzo dampened gimbal and it is pretty good as a gimbal head and I liked using it with a heavy 600mm f/4 lens and camera setup for shooting stills. A video head that mounts to a tripod bowl is engineered for smooth panning. Doubtless there are many youtube videos demonstrating the differences.

For me it has never been ideal with a gimbal head to access the camera body controls which are often blocked and so I need to decide which side of the camera to block which is hardly ideal. With a video head there is nothing blocking access to the camera or the lens.

My Sachtler ACE XL is rated for a load of 17.6 lbs and the norm is to keep the actual load at around 50 percent or about 8 lbs. The 800mm PF and Z9 have a total weight of 8.1 lbs and so is not overloading the head. My first 600mm f/4 lens weighed more than 13 lbs and with a DSLR made for a load of about 16 pounds or double that of the PF lens and Z9.

I've been shooting hand held the past 4, almost 5 years. Tripod is only for video work and with a fluid head.

Still hand hold with the Z9 and 800PF the past 14 months about 90-95% of the time. If I'm going to hunker down in a spot for extended periods of time waiting or need to track subjects like short eared owls until the come closer I'll use a monopod with a Wimberley MH-100 monogimbal. That combo is a no brainer and everyone with a 5 pound lens or more should have that monogimbal with a monopod in my opinion it that good

I have a monopod with MH-100 but I used it probably once. I move around a lot though - easily covering 5km+ in a single outing. I find that going 100% hand held gives me more freedom. Zero problems with sharpness - stabilization on a Z8+800PF is really good.

I've gone down the rabbit hole of tripod/gimbal options for my 800pf. I think I've finally settled on the PMG 34 series tripod and katana jr. gimbal head. It's a 2 thousand dollar investment so I thought I'd ask here first, if the gimbal really makes a big difference with a lens like the 800pf?

I can and have been handholding the lens for periods of time, but definitely need more breaks than I did with the 500pf. I shoot primarily birds and mammals, with 80% stills, 20% video. My old travel sized gitzo + ball head are just not cutting it anymore.

Any advice would be appreciated!
I hand hold my 800mm 98% of the time. I admit that sometimes I get tired and drop down to put my elbow on my leg for support (often the case anyway to get low for the shot). When I don’t, and I need to be able to move, I use the speed shooter harness instead of the gimbal. I have the Katana Jr. gimbal but have not used it since I bought the harness.

When I use the 800mm as a walk around lens, I do not use my tripod. However, if I have a specific shot in mind and/or need to attach a TC, I find that I can not hold the lens still enough to get a sharp image. At such a long focal length and shooting at 1120 mm with the Z 1.4x TC, any movement is magnified so much that the images are not sharp enough for me at usual hand held shutter speeds. So I use a tripod under those circumstances. Of course, I am sure that others can hold the camera steadier than I can!

Although I can handhold the 800, much of the time I am focused on a perched bird waiting for it to take off. Sometimes this can be several minutes. Without using the Wimberly gimbal, there is no way I could hold on the bird and catch it as it takes off. I also use the small Wimberly with a monopod, and that works in a similar manner when there is something to lean the monopod against, like on a boardwalk with rails.

Like @EricKlees I hand hold my Z9 and Z800. For video Eric is correct the pros I know use quality fluid heads if using support. The fluid head can also be great for stills.

I have a wimberly and a wimberly mono gimbal and a FlexShooter Pro Lever Black Ball Head and good tripods sitting in the closet. I thought I would use these a lot with D6/D850 and 600 f/4E but did not. I tested them all to with Z9 and Z800 to see what worked when I was doing static tests of the lens when I first got it and in case I want to use a tripod sometime in the future. The Flex Shooter Pro was my favorite.

I also have a Whistling wings speed shooter harness set up and it actually works very well and more portable than a straight tripod or monopod but that is another thing that I got for the 600 f4/E and tried it with Z9 and Z800 but it sits in the closet since for me all these support options slow me down from the type of always on the move "run and gun" bird photography I do. I am photographing birds for ID in a wide range of topography and habitats, on foot with subjects appearing from all angles, in bushes, in the air etc.. https://www.whistlingwingsphotography.com/speed-shooter-harness

Strictly hand-held. I’m a run-and-gun type shooter. After previously owning a 500mm f/4 G (which weighed a ton) and having to shoot that with a monopod, then going to the 500PF for ease of use, I started drooling when the 800PF came out. I shoot with a Z8, and the combo weighs about the same as a D500 with a 200-500 attached, but it feels much lighter because it’s far better balanced. There’s one caveat; I’m 6’8” and about 320 pounds, so “light” is very much a relative term. 😂

Back