Do you save your camera and lens boxes?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Do you save your camera and lens boxes

• Yes, they help resell value

Votes: 148 83.6%
  • Yes I am a pack rate

Votes: 21 11.9%
  • A few, mostly larger, more expensive items

Votes: 19 10.7%
  • When I remember

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • As long as my spouse (or other) does not toss them

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • No don't see the value

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • No don't have the value

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Other please explain

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I save nearly all my boxes, including smaller ones for batteries and cable releases. Perhaps I am a pack rat but I think then come in handy when I want to sell used items. The all boxes, expect the boxes for very large lenses, are in large totes in the basement crawl space.

Definitely keep all boxes!

Rich, perhaps add ‘proof for insurance claims’ to your list. The box is also a good place to keep a copy of the purchase receipt.

… David

Last edited:
I save all my boxes for 2 reasons. 1st and foremost is for resale value. 2nd is it's the best, most secure box/package to send a body or lens to Nikon for cleanings/service/repairs.

I even keep the boxes they were shipped in with the packing material. Easy enough of I'm already keeping the box of the camera and lenses

I recently sold some equipment to fund new equipment. I' not sure if it increased the price but I do think it helped sell the stuff. I keep my camera and lens boxes and original paperwork. If nothing else, it does help reinforce that I take good care of my equipment. Cameras and lenses are tools. I do not baby them but I take good care of them and all remained in perfect working order.

Definitely keep all boxes!

Rich, perhaps add ‘proof for insurance claims’ to your list. The box is also a good place to keep a copy of the purchase receipt.

… David
I keep receipts in a folder in my desk draw (after filing them with my insurance company to get all risk insurance). I now keep the warranty card in the box.

I don't understand it but I learned long ago that used gear sells better and at a premium with the original packaging, strap, manual, etc. It is what it is. I've got a large moving box full of boxes :confused:
I believe this to be true. Perhaps it is much less likely that a stolen camera / lens would come with the original box, warranty card, etc.

I did until I moved and then they all went to the garbage! I have some of the newer items but not the big glass. I'm sure I'll keep those lenses for years. I've heard when most people purchase a used camera from a store most don't ask for the box. Kinda weird if true.

Last edited:
Keep the boxes for resale… that and there’s nothing I love more than taking up closet space with a box of empty boxes.

I will say though, the boxes are useful for keeping all the camera/lens "extras" organized, like manuals, cables, paperwork, lens cases, etc.

Last edited:
I don't sell old camera equipment. Partly, I tend to hold on to my equipment until it isn't worth much. And partly, when I get rid of equipment that has value, I pass it on to friends or family that want it. I do the same with my old cars. I don't really know where it came from, but I dislike the modern-day approach of monetizing every aspect of one's life and selling my used equipment feeds into that bias. I don't have any qualms about buying used, nor do I look askance at those who sell to me. I guess it's just one of my many personality quirks.

With a large family in the house, there is little to no room for storing the boxes. I tend to pass my older gear to other family members (adult children and grandchildren), so the value of the boxes is minimal to me. When I have sold items, I have not had an issue without the boxes. I can understand the arguments for keeping them, but have not had a problem when selling those items not passed to family.

Guilty as charged.

Yes - I keep all the old boxes along with materials that came with the camera or lens. I found it's easier to keep the manual, cables, and other odds and ends in the box than to try to sort them out over time. The warranty is attached to the receipt and kept in a warranty file.

I normally sell gear with the original box and materials. It does serve as proof that it was purchased new and I was the only prior owner. It also provides good packing materials when shipping to the buyer.

I have directly discussed this with KEH. While they don't pay extra for the box per se, they do give a little more money and list gear that comes with a box differently on their website.

All these boxes do take a lot of space. I have a cabinet specifically for boxes. If space was at a premium, I would get rid of the boxes - or at least fold them and discard the contents.

Back