Do you use the lightroom calibration sliders (and what do they even do)?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My preset in the calibration tab is
Shadows - 0
Red - Hue -0 Sat -0
Green - Hue +11 Sat +18
Blue - Hue -0 Sat +23

Depending on how the WB came out, you will tweak the blue down some
I was just wondering if these settings to match Z8 work with different Nikon colour profiles, Vivid, natural, etc.?

My preset in the calibration tab is
Shadows - 0
Red - Hue -0 Sat -0
Green - Hue +11 Sat +18
Blue - Hue -0 Sat +23

Depending on how the WB came out, you will tweak the blue down some
I'd tried to do this and felt like I couldn't get anywhere close. By what approach did you decide that this was a good match?

I'd tried to do this and felt like I couldn't get anywhere close. By what approach did you decide that this was a good match?
I shot standard and neutral jpg images and it was very close, closer to Standard then Neutral for me with my Raw images. I never shoot vivid, too cartoonish for me for wildlife but it's a preset and you will need to tweak it some depending on how the WB is in the image. It's not a set apply and forget but I only need to do minor adjustments, usually the blue slider. It could be the difference in monitors. I use LG 4k HDR10 IPS panels that are 99% color accurate.

I shot standard and neutral jpg images and it was very close, closer to Standard then Neutral for me with my Raw images. I never shoot vivid, too cartoonish for me for wildlife but it's a preset and you will need to tweak it some depending on how the WB is in the image. It's not a set apply and forget but I only need to do minor adjustments, usually the blue slider. It could be the difference in monitors. I use LG 4k HDR10 IPS panels that are 99% color accurate.
I added your settings to my Linear import profile and they add just that bit of color pop I have been looking for. I moved Calibration up in my editing flow (ie moved it up in ACR), and this process to me gives way more accurate colors than Camera Settings. So thank you.

I added your settings to my Linear import profile and they add just that bit of color pop I have been looking for. I moved Calibration up in my editing flow (ie moved it up in ACR), and this process to me gives way more accurate colors than Camera Settings. So thank you.
Is there a way to add these to the camera settings import so that I get the camera settings plus this tweak, or does this need to be done manually every time if I want to import with camera settings?

Is there a way to add these to the camera settings import so that I get the camera settings plus this tweak, or does this need to be done manually every time if I want to import with camera settings?
Yes but it’s a preset and not an import profile so it has to be “Applied”. No big deal as you choose the preset on import. That’s what I do.

How is it on faces?
I think you have to judge for yourself. I know you do lots of portrait work and I would not be as discerning. It's a global setting change but I also think it's where you start from. If you start from say Camera Settings Standard it might be fine but not from another. I start from a Linear Profile and it's excellent.

I think you have to judge for yourself. I know you do lots of portrait work and I would not be as discerning. It's a global setting change but I also think it's where you start from. If you start from say Camera Settings Standard it might be fine but not from another. I start from a Linear Profile and it's excellent.
I always use Camera standard.
Wil try it tomorrow.

I was thinking about the difference of using HSL sliders and Calibration sliders, because the description in Mark Denny's video was kind of heuristic. What do you think about this:

HSL - it targets pixel in the picture which have only specific color information present:
  • for primaries, e.g. Red - Red only pixels where R=100 (where x is an integer nearing 100) and G/B = 0 (or less then x where x is a small integer number)
  • for composite colors of two primary colors e.g. Yellow (R+G) - Yellow only pixels where R=G=100 and B=0
  • for composite colors of two primary colors with no equal amount of primaries e.g. Orange - Orange only pixels where R=100,G=64 and B=0
Calibration
  • Red primary - all pixels red component
  • Green primary - all pixels green component

It starts to get into the weeds, but maybe I get it? If I took a random color, a certain orange for example, it would be 255, 155, 0 in RGB, in other words the color is made up of 100% red, 67.4% green, 0% blue. That same color in HSL would be 38.8, 100, 50. In other words a hue angle of 38.8 degrees on the 360 degree ROYGBIV color circle, but 100% saturated at 50% lightness. Both the same color.

So even though the color looks orange, it still has red, green, and blue components. As every color does because red, green, blue are considered the additive primary colors that can make any color in various combinations. If I display my orange and go into calibration and change green, the green component of every color will change, not just colors that look green to our eyes. So the orange should change because the green part that contributes to us seeing orange has changed. I believe If I go into hsl and change green, only colors that look green to our eyes will change. Photoshop gives finer control over the range of hue angle impacted and there one could click posterize to totally swap one hue for another, but not in lightroom.

So I think as stated in previous posts, calibration changes every color, while hsl only the "local" hue.

Last edited:
Back