Does Alcohol in lens wipes damage coatings?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ado Wolf

Zeiss lens wet wipes come recommended by my photographers including Steve. I was about to buy a pack when I noticed they contain alcohol.

Doesn’t alcohol damage the different costings Nikon adds to lenses to make them dust and water repellent?

I just want to be 100% sure before I purchase any. Until this point (30 years of photography) I only cleaned with dust blowers and a clean dry microfiber cloth.

Thanks in advance and happy weekend!

I would never use a lens wipe with alcohol in it. I've never seen that myself. But alcohol is a harsh solvent that i would not doubt attacks the coatings on the lens elements. The same reason you never ever use alcohol on a cell phone or tablet screen. It breaks down the oleophobic coating that prevents the screen from taking fingerprints

I probably use lint free microfiber cloths with Zeiss lens cleaning fluid. I spray on the cloth then clean, never spray directly to the lens.

But I've only ever needed to use a wet cleaning like this is it on the rain. Other wise, i only ever use a blower and if needed a lens brush with a blower

Last edited:
Data sheet - on BH page it says no ammonia so maybe that's the bad ingredient.
1706269408548.png

How many recall a few years back when Nikon's engineering department said not to use the ages old method of using condensed breath as a cleaning agent. They quickly retracted the statement. But I figure if the coatings are that delicate I'll avoid alcohol solutions.

I'm comfortable with Zeiss wipes and similar alcohol wipes. You need to be able to pick something to moisten and clean lenses. Ammonia is not a good choice for plastics and coatings. Pure distilled water would work, but is inconvenient and slower to evaporate. Alcohol is used for sensor cleaning because of its evaporation rate.

Zeiss lens wet wipes come recommended by my photographers including Steve. I was about to buy a pack when I noticed they contain alcohol.

Doesn’t alcohol damage the different costings Nikon adds to lenses to make them dust and water repellent?

I just want to be 100% sure before I purchase any. Until this point (30 years of photography) I only cleaned with dust blowers and a clean dry microfiber cloth.

Thanks in advance and happy weekend!
I’ve used Zeiss wipes on my lenses for years and have never had a problem, with either the lens coatings or the camera. Since they’re made specifically for optical products I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.

I’ve used Zeiss wipes on my lenses for years and have never had a problem, with either the lens coatings or the camera. Since they’re made specifically for optical products I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.
Same here, I've used Zeiss wipes and for the last few years Nikon wipes for lens cleaning and haven't had any problems with lens coatings.

It might be superstition but I never put any drops directly on the lens that I fear might weep into the area where the lens meets the housing. I imagine weather sealing should prevent any infiltration but I still fear it.

But yes, premoistened wipes labeled for camera lenses, or drops labeled for camera lenses on the cloth but not on the lens.

Last edited:
I used to use 100% ethanol with no issues over long periods of time, but I don't clean other than the breath method more than once a year or so. I just don't find it necessary, but I do use Zeiss fluid now when I do.

I avoid any liquid products on lens surfaces and use a blower for dust and then a lens pen (carbon black) followed by a blower for condensation spots/splashes. This seems to have worked well over 30+ years without any visible damage to the surface/coatings. When I used to actively cover sports I recall one motocross event when my gear and I were sprayed with a whole bunch of mud. The vast majority ran off the optics though some dried on the surface. I simply used a microfiber rag soaked in some tap water to blot (not rub) the visible mud off followed by the lens pen method. No damage to the front element. Surprisingly, they are tougher than you think though they can be scratched and personally, I would stay away from liquids/solvents because they could migrate internally or degrade the seals.

I would think breath would be worst, given the digestive enzymes and acids in saliva. If it does no harm the lenses are probably pretty robust.

Lens coatings are tougher than you think :)

I see people worry about different cleaning methods harming the coatings all the time, but never see any evidence of it actually happening. I have seen damaged coatings - usually the result of something in the environment getting on the lens, never from a lens cleaning product.

Besides, Nikon actually had some lens wipes like the Zeiss ones - I purchased a big box of them and still have them. And yes, they contain isopropyl alcohol just like the Zeiss wipes (in fact, I'm pretty sure they are just rebranded Zeiss wipes). I've used both Nikon and Zeiss wipes for years with no ill effect.

It might be superstition but I never put any drops directly on the lens that I fear might weep into the area where the lens meets the housing. I imagine weather sealing should prevent any infiltration but I still fear it.

But yes, premoistened wipes labeled for camera lenses, or drops labeled for camera lenses on the cloth but not on the lens.
Generally my concern as well when a lens needs some fluid in the cleaning process. Years ago I learned to put one drop of the cleaning fluid I use, Lensclens, in the center of the lens and gently wipe with those old disposable tissues that Kodak used to sell. And I wipe near where the edge of the lens, but by then there is almost no chance of fluid being able to penetrate where the lens is held in place. But my lenses need fluid to clean so infrequently so I am not too worried.

--Ken

How many recall a few years back when Nikon's engineering department said not to use the ages old method of using condensed breath as a cleaning agent. They quickly retracted the statement. But I figure if the coatings are that delicate I'll avoid alcohol solutions.
yah, wasn't the concern you'd promote growth of bacteria and stuff that way

I am no scientist, but when something in the environment, an aggressive substance like salt water drops or animal saliva etc., gets on your front lens element without you noticing quickly, it will have time to etch into the lens coatings.
If you wet clean your front lens element however, be it with condensed breath and micro fiber cloth or a Zeiss lens wipe, you only apply the moisture to the lens surface for a very short time and then wipe it off. For a substance to harm a lens coating in such a small time frame, it would have to be a very strong solvent.

b.t.w. regarding using condensed breath and a micro fiber cloth being potentially harmfull due to digestive enzymes and acids in saliva, I don't believe these actually transfer or carry over to the condensed air when freely breathing out, I think it is simply the moisture in the air that condenses due to the warm temperature of your breath.
I would not advice licking your front lens element though... ;)

Well...I am a scientist...breathing on your lens...or licking it even (which I've done but don't recommend...for reasons of taste) will not cause any reaction with your lens coating. It's designed to protect the glass, and unless you are using hydrofluoric acid...you ain't gonna put a dent in it. You're much more likely to damage it by not brushing solids off first. I've used t-shirts, tissues, my sweatshirt, and all sorts of other stuff and never put a mark on one of my lenses. Mind you, I only do that stuff if there's not other choice, but I've been in those situations. I used to treat all of my gear like it was delicate, but I have learned that it is not (especially newer stuff). Don't court danger by doing reckless stuff, but don't be scared either. My take anyhoo.

Back