Does Alcohol in lens wipes damage coatings?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I use the Zeiss wipes in the field but at home I use Zeiss solution in a spray bottle with a microfiber cloth. Good idea to use a blower or at least a soft brush before using the moist cloth. I toss my microfiber cloths after a couple weeks of use.

The real problem is having grit on the lens surface that is dragged across the element when cleaning.

How many recall a few years back when Nikon's engineering department said not to use the ages old method of using condensed breath as a cleaning agent. They quickly retracted the statement. But I figure if the coatings are that delicate I'll avoid alcohol solutions.
In a rapid panic when I noticed pitch on my lens from trying to hike through bushes and bramble to reach a good spot for stage rally, then heard the car coming, I licked my lens. Lol. Worked better than even an iso prep pad. But it does now make me wonder what that did to my lens, lmao

Oh, just one other additional caution about alcohol based lens wipes. Do not use them on acrylic or eyeglasses (made of polycarbonate).

On a number of occasions I've watched opticians spray an alcohol-based lens cleaner on polycarbonate eyeglass lenses and then wipe with a microfiber cloth to clean them without any adverse impact.

I would like to start a collection to sue Zeiss. Just kidding, but I don't think the back of the package would make such bold statements as below if they weren't safe. Lots of lawsuits would have followed by now and I think they have been around a while.

1706315130100.png

That's a new one for me. Got anything to document that?
Just don't use regular glass cleaners containing ammonia ...
POLYCARB1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

POLYCARB2.jpg

POLYCARB3.jpg

For once, surely adequate justification for using a protective filter.
I respectfully disagree, unless you purchase a very expensive and coated filter. Otherwise, you're just putting cheap glass in front of expensive glass which makes no sense.

As for using Zeiss wipes, I've been shooting 40+ years and they're a life saver IMHO. I shoot regularly in harsh conditions on the beach where camera and lenses are subject to salt spray and blowing sand. When I say salt spray, I don't mean actual water. The air is thick with salt and it gets deposited on EVERYTHING when the wind is coming off the ocean. It's a constant battle to keep a lens clean and clear, resulting in me cleaning my lens many times an hour. I NEVER use a microfiber cloth, etc. because they collect blowing sand and can scratch coatings, but I've easily used 20-30 Zeiss wipes during a shoot of 2-3 hours before. I use them because they are sealed, therefore unable to collect sand, grit, or salt and they dry almost immediately. When I get home I clean everything (tripod, camera bodies, everything in camera bag) with a damp cloth to remove salt spray because it will cover even stuff that was never taken out of the bag. After salt spray is cleaned off I reclean all glass with Zeiss wipes to make sure they're ready to go the next day. It's a pain, but salt spray is insidious and will find its way into the smallest cracks/crevices. Sometimes, I think Zeiss should send me thank you notes because I've probably sent many of their kids through college just with my purchases of their wipes, LOL.

I'm a big user of Zeiss wipes for reasons I've explained elsewhere in this thread. If you also use a lot of wipes, you might want to check the prices in the link below. You can purchase the wipes MUCH cheaper than B&H and others charge. B&H charges like $32 for 200 wipes. Buying in bulk from Amazon the prices are far less expensive - $32 for 600 wipes, $19 for 400 wipes.

Zeiss Wipes - bulk pricing

I respectfully disagree, unless you purchase a very expensive and coated filter. Otherwise, you're just putting cheap glass in front of expensive glass which makes no sense.

As for using Zeiss wipes, I've been shooting 40+ years and they're a life saver IMHO. I shoot regularly in harsh conditions on the beach where camera and lenses are subject to salt spray and blowing sand. When I say salt spray, I don't mean actual water. The air is thick with salt and it gets deposited on EVERYTHING when the wind is coming off the ocean. It's a constant battle to keep a lens clean and clear, resulting in me cleaning my lens many times an hour. I NEVER use a microfiber cloth, etc. because they collect blowing sand and can scratch coatings, but I've easily used 20-30 Zeiss wipes during a shoot of 2-3 hours before. I use them because they are sealed, therefore unable to collect sand, grit, or salt and they dry almost immediately. When I get home I clean everything (tripod, camera bodies, everything in camera bag) with a damp cloth to remove salt spray because it will cover even stuff that was never taken out of the bag. After salt spray is cleaned off I reclean all glass with Zeiss wipes to make sure they're ready to go the next day. It's a pain, but salt spray is insidious and will find its way into the smallest cracks/crevices. Sometimes, I think Zeiss should send me thank you notes because I've probably sent many of their kids through college just with my purchases of their wipes, LOL.
Yup. The good filters are very expensive ! The cheap filters really negatively impact the good qualities of good lenses.

I have a lot of Break Through Photography filters uv/clear/ND/CPL/Dark CPL etc.. I bought them back in my days playing with water etc. with slow shutter speeds. They are amazingly color neutral and do not impact light level unless that is intended ie. ND. They are very good and very expensive !

I also used them on my long lenses back in the day. As lens coatings etc. got far better I have stopped using them for protective filters espeically on long glass with hoods that provide most of the impact protection @Steve did some great tests impact protection of filters.

The only filters I carry anymore are CPL and even those get used maybe once a year or less.

I have kept around a lot of great filters just in case my interests wander back in the future after all they do not take up much space and resale value is quite low :)

Clarity is one spray liquid I’ve used for 10 years after finding it removed salt spray better than the Zeiss spray. When I travel I use 2 small atomizing spray bottles…one with Zeiss and one with Clarity. I picked up the empty spray bottles at Aliexpress for less than $1 each.

The cloths I use are called MagicFiber and do a great jobs after blowing off any possible grit or dust with a Rocket blower.

Thanks to all the positive feedback. Given how many use it and no one seem to have had issues, I will go ahead and buy a pack. As many have said, I will use it for emergencies and not daily use.

PS: I always use a blower first to make sure, no dust particles remain on the glass, that may cause scratches when wiping clean.

I agree with others that alcohol wipes do not damage lens coatings. However, if you are still reluctant consider trying Hoodman Lens Cleanse wipes available from B&H and elsewhere. They are plant based, non alcohol wipes that include a wet wipe and a dry wipe for each application. I've used them for years. Another benefit is that they do not leave any streaks.

Yup. The good filters are very expensive ! The cheap filters really negatively impact the good qualities of good lenses.

I have a lot of Break Through Photography filters uv/clear/ND/CPL/Dark CPL etc.. I bought them back in my days playing with water etc. with slow shutter speeds. They are amazingly color neutral and do not impact light level unless that is intended ie. ND. They are very good and very expensive !

I also used them on my long lenses back in the day. As lens coatings etc. got far better I have stopped using them for protective filters espeically on long glass with hoods that provide most of the impact protection @Steve did some great tests impact protection of filters.

The only filters I carry anymore are CPL and even those get used maybe once a year or less.

I have kept around a lot of great filters just in case my interests wander back in the future after all they do not take up much space and resale value is quite low :)
I agree. I use the 100mm square Breakthrough filters. For ~ 15 years before Breakthrough I used Singh Ray square 100mm square filters. I liked the Singh Ray filters but I like the Breakthrough better. Neither have color cast issues, but I liked the fact that Breakthrough uses Schott glass versus the resin that Singh Ray uses.

With the Singh Ray square filters I just used the Cokin P holder, but that was a horrible system. I procrastinated for several years but I finally bit the bullet and purchased the Wine Country filter holder system. It's somewhat ridiculously overpriced but I have to admit it does an excellent job. It comes with its own polarizer, which I was a bit concerned about, but after testing it, I found no color cast at all. The Breakthrough filters I currently use are the 3xND, 6x ND, & 10xND, plus a 2 stop grad. I use the 3x & 6x quite a bit, but I've only used the 10x one time, in conjunction with 3x. If I did it all over again, I would probably not purchase the 10x.

If you have an interest in the Wine Country holder system, here's the link - Wine Country Camera

Clarity is one spray liquid I’ve used for 10 years after finding it removed salt spray better than the Zeiss spray. When I travel I use 2 small atomizing spray bottles…one with Zeiss and one with Clarity. I picked up the empty spray bottles at Aliexpress for less than $1 each.

The cloths I use are called MagicFiber and do a great jobs after blowing off any possible grit or dust with a Rocket blower.
I'm not familiar with Clarity, but it sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. Where do you purchase it?

Zeiss lens wet wipes come recommended by my photographers including Steve. I was about to buy a pack when I noticed they contain alcohol.

Doesn’t alcohol damage the different costings Nikon adds to lenses to make them dust and water repellent?

I just want to be 100% sure before I purchase any. Until this point (30 years of photography) I only cleaned with dust blowers and a clean dry microfiber cloth.

Thanks in advance and happy weekend!
I've always wondered this myself and I will use one in a pinch but usually prefer to use lens cleaning solutions made specifically for camera lenses.

I agree with others that alcohol wipes do not damage lens coatings. However, if you are still reluctant consider trying Hoodman Lens Cleanse wipes available from B&H and elsewhere. They are plant based, non alcohol wipes that include a wet wipe and a dry wipe for each application. I've used them for years. Another benefit is that they do not leave any streaks.
After blowing off with a rocket blower and inspecting I have not had to use a brush in years.

I have used the Hoodman Wipes for a long time. It is what one of my favorite lens pros uses. He is a real glass nerd who is a regional rep for Tamron and does a lot of classes on lenses for Tamron and others. They are a wet wipe then a dry wipe double system.

Last edited:
Back