Does Alcohol in lens wipes damage coatings?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Lens coatings are tougher than you think :)

I see people worry about different cleaning methods harming the coatings all the time, but never see any evidence of it actually happening. I have seen damaged coatings - usually the result of something in the environment getting on the lens, never from a lens cleaning product.

Besides, Nikon actually had some lens wipes like the Zeiss ones - I purchased a big box of them and still have them. And yes, they contain isopropyl alcohol just like the Zeiss wipes (in fact, I'm pretty sure they are just rebranded Zeiss wipes). I've used both Nikon and Zeiss wipes for years with no ill effect.
Where can one find these Nikon wipes?

Oh, just one other additional caution about alcohol based lens wipes. Do not use them on acrylic or eyeglasses (made of polycarbonate).
Alcohol can damage certain anti-glare and possibly blue light coatings on polycarbonate lenses. Best to use soap and water or a water based eye glass surfactant. Additionally it can cause cracking in acrylic surfaces. There are a plethora of deionized water based cleaners which are safe to use on all optical surfaces.

Alcohol can damage certain anti-glare and possibly blue light coatings on polycarbonate lenses. Best to use soap and water or a water based eye glass surfactant. Additionally it can cause cracking in acrylic surfaces. There are a plethora of deionized water based cleaners which are safe to use on all optical surfaces.
Yup ... my favorite way of cleaning glasses was recommended by one of the head opticians at our local Costco eye center. While they gave away free refills of cleaning fluid there she recommended using dawn dishwashing soap and then rinsing and after drip drying for a moment blotting the lens dry with a clean microfiber cloth. It just works.

This is from Nikon's Z 70-200mm f/2.8 user manual

"• Removing dust is normally sufficient to clean the glass surfaces of the lens.
• The fluorine-coated front lens element can be cleaned as described below.
- Smudges, fingerprints, and other oily stains can be removed using a soft, clean cot-
ton cloth or lens cleaning tissue; clean from the center outwards using a circular
motion.
- To remove stubborn stains, wipe gently using a soft cloth lightly dampened with a
small amount of distilled water, ethanol, or lens cleaner.
- Any drop-shaped marks left from this process on the water- and oil-repellent sur-
face can subsequently be removed with a dry cloth.
• When cleaning the rear lens element, which is not fluorine-coated, remove smudges, fin-
gerprints, and other oily stains using a soft, clean cotton cloth or lens cleaning tissue
lightly dampened with a small amount of ethanol or lens cleaner. Wipe gently from
the center outwards in a circular motion, taking care not to leave smears or touch the
lens with your fingers.
• Never use organic solvents such as paint thinner or benzene to clean the lens.
• Neutral Color (NC) filters (available separately) and the like can be used to protect the
front lens element.
• If the lens will not be used for an extended period, store it in a cool, dry location to
prevent mold and rust. Do not store in direct sunlight or with naphtha or camphor mothballs"

I use Zeiss lens cleaning spray with a clean microfibre cloth. The instructions on the bottle say: "suitable for all glass and plastic spectacles (patricularly effective for high quality coated precission lenses)".

After an air show the front lens element is coated in a thin layer of oily aviation fuel residue, only thing I found to clean this off was Zeiss cleaning spray or wipes.

Some camera manufacturers advise against using alcohol to clean their lenses.

Nikon advises against using any alcohol-based cleaners on their lenses.

Here is what Nikon offer https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product-archive/lens-cleaner/lens-cleaner-kit.html

Canon recommends using their own Canon lens cleaning solution specifically designed for their lenses.

Zeiss wipes are a high tech ammonia free formula that safely and quickly cleans all lenses and sports optics. Especially designed for anti-reflective, multi-layer coatings.

Bottom line, Nikon say no to any alcohol use, its a safe comment, as its to hard to define how much alcohol or what actual ingredients is in all the different manufactured products therefore a blanket comment NO is most suitable safe comment.

Detergent cleans, the alcohol just evaporates and drys the surface, or does the alcohol clean as well ? who knows and does it matter as long as it doesn't damage the coatings which is unlikely with a creditable product.

Generally the alcohol content level of cleaners is so small it doesn't effect things is my understanding, i mean detergent and water make up maybe 97% and the 3% ? alcohol for evaporation purposes makes up the rest, you sort of get the drift ?.

I use Rosco lens and glass cleaner https://us.rosco.com/en/product/lens-cleaner
i got a big bottle from my camera store, i refill a small pump bottle as needed.

I will use Zeiss wipes for traveling on a plain as its not a fluid. Other friends use Zeiss wipes all the time, no issues.

Someone else may buy a red hot deal on E bay from a cheap supplier that has alcohol and even ammonia in it who knows, its best from a manufacturers stand point to CYA and say No alcohol from a manufacturers perspective and offer their own known content product, its just to hard to trust or define what product out there is good or bad.

Canon say use their lens cleaner is smart, at least they know what they offer is not potentially destructive.

Isopropyl alcohol is used in a lot of things and who knows if its bad, it certainly cleans the lenses elements above all evaporates quickly.

Based on history and wide use the Zeiss wipes they so far work very well and are incredibly handy as i said especially for travel.

FWIW

only an opinion

Last edited:
Lens coatings are tougher than you think :)

I see people worry about different cleaning methods harming the coatings all the time, but never see any evidence of it actually happening. I have seen damaged coatings - usually the result of something in the environment getting on the lens, never from a lens cleaning product.

Besides, Nikon actually had some lens wipes like the Zeiss ones - I purchased a big box of them and still have them. And yes, they contain isopropyl alcohol just like the Zeiss wipes (in fact, I'm pretty sure they are just rebranded Zeiss wipes). I've used both Nikon and Zeiss wipes for years with no ill effect.
100% agree, i have never had an issue with the Zeiss or Rosco product, i use the Zeiss wipes traveling and still have about 200 years worth left of the one bottle of Rosco fluid primarly having isopropyl alcohol, well to my knowledge anyway LOL.

I'm a big user of Zeiss wipes for reasons I've explained elsewhere in this thread. If you also use a lot of wipes, you might want to check the prices in the link below. You can purchase the wipes MUCH cheaper than B&H and others charge. B&H charges like $32 for 200 wipes. Buying in bulk from Amazon the prices are far less expensive - $32 for 600 wipes, $19 for 400 wipes.

Zeiss Wipes - bulk pricing
Check out Walmart. They have a box of 225 Zeiss wipes for $11.98. Sorry, I just did the math, and I guess 400 wipes for $19 is a better deal, but Walmart's are everywhere.

When I get a new lens the first thing I do is put a Nikon NC Filter on it. Solves the issue about worrying about lens wipes. I have been using Nikon and Zeiss wipes for years with no problems.

Long time lurker here. I shoot music photography, which shares many of the challenges of wildlife photography in that I am chasing Bands In Flight in low light hi ISO situations. I've had many adult beverages spilled on me over the years, and have had Jack and Coke pooled in the hood of my 70-200. Dumped it out, absorbed up what was left with cotton T-shirt (black, not camo) and cleaned up any residue with a Zeiss wipe. That lens is about 15 years old and renders awesome on my z-9. I've got the z version of the 14-24 and 24-70 but can't part with that g version 70-200.

On a side note, I've got a couple of Steve's guides, and have gained tons of info on this site that I can use in my field from all y'all, and for that I'm thankful!!

If you are worried, you can choose not to use alcohol frequently, but choose professional cleaning agents. Then use a microfiber cleaning cloth, the effect will also be very good. You don't have to worry about these two things damaging your lenses.

I only use Lens Clens #1 Industrial Optical Cleaner (coated optics) with lens cleaning tissue (from Sensei) - nothing better - recommended by Moses Peterson.
A small bottle like this (50ml) lasts a long time
tempImageR0rQwh.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back