Does anyone like this idea

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Since HE* is so close to lossless Raw many people (myself included) use it record our images. It is more efficient so it takes around 1/2 the space. Won't be nice if I could convert all my lossless raws (from D850, D5, D6, D500, ...) into HE* files. That would free up TeraBytes of space :)

Not a fan. Can HE work on things like Color Balance, and bringing out detail in dark pics (don't know enough about HE to know). But my opinion is mostly based on - Memory is CHEAP. So I want the maximum control that I get with RAW images. If the image size is shrunk, you are losing something. Not sure what, but something.

I also use HE* and haven’t noticed a difference in quality. The idea of converting old images to the format but unfortunately it would be a lot of work to make it happen so I don‘t see editing companies offering support if there was a way to accomplish it.

Not a fan. Can HE work on things like Color Balance, and bringing out detail in dark pics (don't know enough about HE to know). But my opinion is mostly based on - Memory is CHEAP. So I want the maximum control that I get with RAW images. If the image size is shrunk, you are losing something. Not sure what, but something.
HE can't but i have no issues with shadow recovery with very good detail with HE*.

Though I'm also not a fan of cloud , NAS storage is super cheap. A 6 bay Synology NAS with 6 4TB Ironwolf drives (24TB) cost me a little less than $1200

Last edited:
Though I'm also not a fan of this idea storage is super cheap. A 6 bay Synology NAS with 6 4TB Ironwolf drives (24TB) cost me a little less than $1200
I don't know how much memory you need, but I buy memory as I need it, as the price keeps going down. 4TB drive is under $300. By the time I need more it will probably be 200, and then 100.

HE can't but i have no issues with shadow recovery with very good detail with HE*.

Though I'm also not a fan of this idea storage is super cheap. A 6 bay Synology NAS with 6 4TB Ironwolf drives (24TB) cost me a little less than $1200
If you set that up in RAID for redundancy you don’t end up with 24TB. Even then, it’s a single copy backup so for redundancy you would need the equivalent storage in at least one other location. Not everyone is going to find $1200+ cheap to store their photos.

I use 2 TB versions of those, have about 6 of them. I really like them but there are some reliability issues mentioned in some reviews. If you aren’t already doing it, you should be replicating that drive to another or using another method of backup. It’s also recommended to have an off site copy if the images are of any significance to you. I have had a few hard drives fail in the past and you don’t want that to cause you loss of many images.

I got a deal on the drives. The NAS was $600 and the 6 4TB Ironwolf drives were $200 each hence the $1200 for my setup. This was 2 years ago. That's why i just bit the bullet then. Cheap and no need to storage for years to come

If you set that up in RAID for redundancy you don’t end up with 24TB. Even then, it’s a single copy backup so for redundancy you would need the equivalent storage in at least one other location. Not everyone is going to find $1200+ cheap to store their photos.
I'm a systems admin for a large US bank. I understand how my NAS works.

I have 2 drives as health drives. If the NAS sees the breath of a drive degrading, it will auto backup to 1 off the 2 health drives and reject the failing drive. Once replaced, the NAS will then move the data to the new drive.

I was just explaining what my NAS had total, not usable free space. I also have 12TB of internal system storage.

I use 2 TB versions of those, have about 6 of them. I really like them but there are some reliability issues mentioned in some reviews. If you aren’t already doing it, you should be replicating that drive to another or using another method of backup. It’s also recommended to have an off site copy if the images are of any significance to you. I have had a few hard drives fail in the past and you don’t want that to cause you loss of many images.
Don't really have a need for off site storage. If my house burns down i have bigger issues ava the cost and potential security issues, no thanks. I have everything on Internal storage and backed up on the NAS. Plus, cost of off site storage will eclipse the NAS cost, it's it's cheaper with the NAS

Last edited:
I run 4 bay OWC thunderbay 4 system - 4 drives, all the same size. Right now I am finding good 16TB drives around $20-24 / TB or $350 for 16TB. 4 drives for a raid system for 48TB is $1400 for drives and with a duplicate raid system for backup, the price is closer to $3000. If I could get a batch program to convert my old NEF files to HE* and I could save (say) 10 TB which might be $500 worth of storage space.

Don't really have a need for off site storage. If my house burns down i have bigger issues ava the cost and potential security issues, no thanks. I have everything on Internet storage and backed up on the NAS. Plus, cost of off site storage will eclipse the NAS cost, it's it's cheaper with the NAS
I keep a duplicate system off site (bank vault). Also includes all our important records

If you aren’t already doing it, you should be replicating that drive to another or using another method of backup. It’s also recommended to have an off site copy if the images are of any significance to you. I have had a few hard drives fail in the past and you don’t want that to cause you loss of many images.
Ya, doing that for my whole computer with iDrive. https://www.idrive.com/

Don't really have a need for off site storage. If my house burns down i have bigger issues ava the cost and potential security issues, no thanks. I have everything on Internet storage and backed up on the NAS. Plus, cost of off site storage will eclipse the NAS cost, it's it's cheaper with the NAS
If you have everything backed up on internet storage it sounds like you are using off site storage.

I'm a systems admin for a large US bank. I understand how my NAS works.

I have 2 drives as health drives. If the NAS sees the breath of a drive degrading, it will auto backup to 1 off the 2 health drives and reject the failing drive. Once replaced, the NAS will then move the data to the new drive.

I was just explaining what my NAS had total, not usable free space. I also have 12TB of internal system storage.
But for local storage, you have a gold plated solution, and given your job I'm sure you know it. I'm perfectly happy with data on non-RAID external drive, backup of those drive(s) to slow cheap Time Machine drive, and cloud storage. Three copies of the data. Much less expensive and the performance I see as a user accessing photos is determined by how fast the primary drive is (a directly attached SSD is quite fast). If the primary drive fails, I don't have a business critical need to get the data back any faster than I can restore to a new drive from the Time Machine backup.

This is not to say your setup is not cool :)

That's not what off site storage is. It's literally off site as in not in your house, not PC. So people mean something like cloud storage in case of theft or something like a fire
Off-site simply means the data is kept off site, it does not specifically mean physical media. You said you have everything on internet storage which would imply external cloud, but maybe that is a type and you meant to type internal storage and backed up on your NAS.

Back