Does the Z6ii/Z7ii even have the capability for better AF with a firmware update?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Better focus acquisition, better eye tracking, better animal AF, I can't see why all this cannot be added to the Z6/7 IIs firmware update.
They are all software based, and that second processor should easily able to process it.

The performance between Z6/7 Is and IIs is not that significant, which means that second processor is really not being pushed to its limits.

No one is talking about Z9 performance because that is hardware based, but with Nikon finally having the focusing/tracking algo figured it out, it becomes easier to fine tune it for the Expeed 6 processor and bring some of it to the IIs version.

Perhaps the recent Canon announcement that the next R5/R6 firmware update will include AF improvements that are in the R3 is a glimmer of hope that Nikon can do the same for the Z6II/Z7II, providing improvements that are in the Z9.

With the recent update in the 1st gen z6 and z7 bringing its AF on par with gen 2 versions is promising for gen 2 future update. I feel confident that the eventual 2.0 update for gen 2s will be very big. However, obvious limitations will keep it far from a Z9 but it’s definitely possible to be much much better then current firmware.

If only Nikon can provide us with with some assurance that a new firmware is being worked on I think it'll work to their advantage - otherwise, some might be bailing out to other brands

If only Nikon can provide us with with some assurance that a new firmware is being worked on I think it'll work to their advantage - otherwise, some might be bailing out to other brands
Kenny,
This is your prerogative, and decisions like this are tightly correlated with your investment in the current lenses you own. I just purchased a refurbished Z7II during their 11% off sale. The camera came in at $2575 after taxes and had zero clicks. Between my wife and I, we have a Z7, two Z6IIs, and now a Z7II. In addition, we had a pair of D500s (one sold and one to go). I only shoot wildlife and landscapes. Other than small flitty birds (which I rarely photograph), the Z6/Z7 bodies are more than up to the task. Maybe it's my choice of subject or the places I shoot, but these cameras focus no worse that my D500/D850 bodies.
With Nikon's recent history of containing to upgrade firmware, I am confident that the AF in the Z-II series bodies will just get better. When you consider that they have historically put their best AF in lower tiered bodies (like D850 & D500), I'd be surprised if the Z9 AF algorithms do not trickle down into the next gen cameras.
If, on the other hand, you do not have $20,000 + in gear, it might make sense to shift systems... some say the grass is greener and other say they regret their move.
cheers,
bruce

I moved from a Nikon Z7II system to a Canon R5 system in March. I shoot a lot of birds, stationary and in-flight, landscapes, sunrises, sunsets, travel, occasional product and interest stuff and a portrait here and there. It was not an easy decision as I’d been using Nikon for a long time. I guess the top two reasons I jumped were lack of Z mount lenses I wanted (I didn’t like the FTZ adapter) and the much better tracking and eye AF of the Canon. I can definitely say my keeper rate of anything moving is way better with the Canon. I also no longer chase rumors and press releases. Rather, I have a collection of RF lenses from 14 to 800mm that I’ve been using since shortly after I went down this road. It was the day I posted all my Nikon gear for sale that I realized I was really tired of forum and social media posts about upcoming firmware hoping for improvements and roadmap posters of upcoming lenses. I just wanted to take photos. I’ve been doing that with the R5 since March.

Last edited:
Kenny,
This is your prerogative, and decisions like this are tightly correlated with your investment in the current lenses you own. I just purchased a refurbished Z7II during their 11% off sale. The camera came in at $2575 after taxes and had zero clicks. Between my wife and I, we have a Z7, two Z6IIs, and now a Z7II. In addition, we had a pair of D500s (one sold and one to go). I only shoot wildlife and landscapes. Other than small flitty birds (which I rarely photograph), the Z6/Z7 bodies are more than up to the task. Maybe it's my choice of subject or the places I shoot, but these cameras focus no worse that my D500/D850 bodies.
With Nikon's recent history of containing to upgrade firmware, I am confident that the AF in the Z-II series bodies will just get better. When you consider that they have historically put their best AF in lower tiered bodies (like D850 & D500), I'd be surprised if the Z9 AF algorithms do not trickle down into the next gen cameras.
If, on the other hand, you do not have $20,000 + in gear, it might make sense to shift systems... some say the grass is greener and other say they regret their move.
cheers,
bruce
Bruce…your experience with the Iis parallels mine…for me BIF are better than my D7500…they’re certainly not as good yet as the Z9 or A1…but they don’t cost nearly as much either…and Nikon has a pretty good record t improving firmware. We wonkt bet Z9 performance but some of that is hardware and we should see better AF based on processor cycles and available firmware storage limits. I’m not expecting Z9 like… ut then I’m not paying for it either. We af also IMO likely to see a Z7III or Z8 with the Zo processor to help amortize the development of the Expeed 7…and as much of the Z9 capabilities as can be met without impacting the Z9 demand…and they’ll sell a lot more of that module than the Z9. In the meantime…I will just continue to struggle along with my ‘inadequate’ Z7II I guess.

Bruce…your experience with the Iis parallels mine…for me BIF are better than my D7500…they’re certainly not as good yet as the Z9 or A1…but they don’t cost nearly as much either…and Nikon has a pretty good record t improving firmware. We wonkt bet Z9 performance but some of that is hardware and we should see better AF based on processor cycles and available firmware storage limits. I’m not expecting Z9 like… ut then I’m not paying for it either. We af also IMO likely to see a Z7III or Z8 with the Zo processor to help amortize the development of the Expeed 7…and as much of the Z9 capabilities as can be met without impacting the Z9 demand…and they’ll sell a lot more of that module than the Z9. In the meantime…I will just continue to struggle along with my ‘inadequate’ Z7II I guess.

The interesting piece that bodes well for an AF performance boost are the dual Expeed 6 processors which is the same processor as the D6. I wouldn't expect huge gains but there's still some meat left on the bone left for improvements.

The interesting piece that bodes well for an AF performance boost are the dual Expeed 6 processors which is the same processor as the D6. I wouldn't expect huge gains but there's still some meat left on the bone left for improvements.
also, since the 3.4 update for the gen i seems to have brought the AF to the same level as the gen ii, some stating better, it seems very likely there is a decent amount of potential left in the gen ii bodies.

Not knowing anything about how AF technology works and its dependency, all who own a Z6ii or Z7ii are hoping that Nikon releases a firmware update that will deliver fast autofocusing for sports/BIF, etc....but is the hardware in these models even capable of delivering fast AF such as that found in the Sony A1, or Z9?

With Nikon's Z9 advertised AF capability, and if it's good as they say, Nikon already knows what it takes, so the question will a firmware update is all that's needed, or would there need to be a new III model of the Z6/Z7?

Since not everyone can afford a Z9, and some might not like the bulkiness of it, I'd say Nikon would be smart to introduce another camera body with same AF as the Z9.
Forget the autofocus, can it do 10bit internal with a firmware upgrade

We would all like instant gratification but remember how long Z9 users had to wait (are still waiting) to get their camera. Imagine considering the size of the Z6/7 user base how long the wait would be for a Ziii. I have both a Z6 and Z6ii but I prefer to shoot either the D500 or the D850. Since I can’t program the buttons on either Z to react like the focusing system on both DSLRs I loose time rotating dials ( mostly in the wrong direction) on the Zs and miss shots. One would think that would be an easy firmware upgrade for the Zs cameras.

Back