Does this type of image work?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Trying to convey the coyote's camouflage. Do you like it?
DSC_0803s.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I do! I'm looking at it on my phone, so perhaps it is better on my computer, but maybe if the coyote was sharper? A personal choice...in my view the coyote is still your main subject.

I guess you may want the grass in front to be in focus to highlight the camo?

On my d500, I've programmed the pv button for spot focus to help me with situations like this. Or use manual. A mirrorless with animal eye af might grab focus on the coyote, but I don't have one (yet).

But I favor photos that include the animals environment and habits as part of the composition, so my personal answer is yes, this kind of photo works!
I'm a beginner, but discussions like this help me learn.
Alan

I do! I'm looking at it on my phone, so perhaps it is better on my computer, but maybe if the coyote was sharper? A personal choice...in my view the coyote is still your main subject.

I guess you may want the grass in front to be in focus to highlight the camo?

On my d500, I've programmed the pv button for spot focus to help me with situations like this. Or use manual. A mirrorless with animal eye af might grab focus on the coyote, but I don't have one (yet).

But I favor photos that include the animals environment and habits as part of the composition, so my personal answer is yes, this kind of photo works!
I'm a beginner, but discussions like this help me learn.
Alan
I also have a photo where the coyote is sharp. I thought maybe the blur would help the camo work. Thank you!

Two new ideas, B&W and a sharp coyote:
DSC_0803s-1.jpg
DSC_0804s-1.jpg

Does anyone think more or less contrast would help?

Absolutely it works! It challenges the viewer to look and see what’s there. It’s part of a coyote’s DNA to sneak up on prey. In this case….the viewer.. 👍👍

It doesn't really work for me. If I was trying this, I'd go with more DOF, to get the grass AND the coyote in focus if possible. I think the out of focus coyote just looks like an out of focus shot, versus showing camouflage in action. That said, if I had to pick one thing in focus it would be the coyote, not the grass.

Not for me. For me, it not about contrast or B&W. Adjusting those don't help. I agree with Dan. One eye, clear of grass and discernable would work. The 2nd image in Post #10 is close.....just not quite there. For me, focusing manually works best for that shot......unless eye detect is REALLY good. Just an opinion.....

I photograph a lot of deer and shoot images like this quite a bit when I'm trying to tell a story of their camouflage and how well they can blend in with their surroundings. Usually, I will have a more wide shot of the area and one zoomed in close on the animal to relate part of the story. Absent the context of the shots, these images tend to not to stand alone very well. Also, one tip you may want to try next time this opportunity presents itself is manual focus so that some part of the animal peeking from behind cover is in focus or at least "close enough" focus. I have found with my deer images, the ones where the eye, ear, nose, whatever part of the critter is showing is in something close to being sharp then the rest of the image is received better otherwise, folks may think it was a mistake and wondering why you're showing them a blurry photo.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

Trying to convey the coyote's camouflage. Do you like it?View attachment 74921
Another thought here…… what did you start with size wise? Can you de-crop the image to present more of the coyote? We’ve all seen the tiger stalking through tall grass and this is similar in that regard. Work with it a little more and see what you get….. maybe contrast and sharpening?

The OP poses an interesting question. For me, and I stress it's just my point of view, the sharper coyote works better and gives me a better sense of what I'm looking at. In general, though, you probably need to consider "Does this work?" for what audience and what purpose. A judge in a wildlife photo contest would probably skip over it because you can't clearly see the eyelashes on the coyote. ;) The average viewer on social media might spend something like 2-3 seconds before swiping to the next shiny object. I suspect this image will be way to subtle for them. It demands the willingness to spend some time on it. For me that's a good thing!

In my view, the OP asked if this type of image works, and I think yes, at least for many. Having a vision of what I want out of a photo is helping me make better ones. Gradually, they are getting more successful.
For this one, if it were mine, I'd prefer one eye really sharp and unobstructed to connect the viewer to the coyote. To get that, since the coyote was probably motionless, I'd have slightly moved my shooting position to increase the odds of getting that. This is a common problem with stationary birds in foliage.

Back