Does this type of image work?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The sharpened image of the Coyote certainly works for me. I was in a similar situation in the past - it was so well camouflaged that I didn't see it while walking close by along a trail until she started howling when a fire truck with sirens blaring went by in a nearby street.

Should a similar opportunity present in the future there are things you can do that would possibly improve your image. First; getting lower or even sitting on the ground would put you on line with the coyote’s head/eyes. You’re looking at a downward angle which may diminish the “hunting predator theme”. I notice the tall grass in front of the coyote is in sharp focus, the coyote not so much. Recent Nikon cameras have a manual focus enhancement called “focus peaking”. This is the exact situation it was designed to aid. When manually focusing a red/blue or white “halo” surrounds the area in focus. Your auto focus hit the grass and that is what you got. The grass. I suspect your D3500 does not have this feature but you can still manual focus without the peaking aid…. Put an object in a field of tall grass and practice manually focusing through the growth…..

Should a similar opportunity present in the future there are things you can do that would possibly improve your image. First; getting lower or even sitting on the ground would put you on line with the coyote’s head/eyes. You’re looking at a downward angle which may diminish the “hunting predator theme”. I notice the tall grass in front of the coyote is in sharp focus, the coyote not so much. Recent Nikon cameras have a manual focus enhancement called “focus peaking”. This is the exact situation it was designed to aid. When manually focusing a red/blue or white “halo” surrounds the area in focus. Your auto focus hit the grass and that is what you got. The grass. I suspect your D3500 does not have this feature but you can still manual focus without the peaking aid…. Put an object in a field of tall grass and practice manually focusing through the growth…..
The getting lower is a great idea. I am sometimes lying down prostrate to get a better angle. Steve talks about this (changing position to get more in line ) in a recent video. It was very helpful to me.

Unfortunately this coyote was on a hill above me, so this wouldn't work. Still hoping for an opportunity where the coyote is on level ground with me so I can get that smooth background.

Back