Emergency beacons, do you carry one?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Terry

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm in the process of building an overlanding vehicle. My hope is to be off the grid shooting.

I'm looking at devices like the Garmin Inreach Mini for a way to call for help when the cell phone is out of range.

Curious if folks are using this technology and any kind of feedback you can provide.

You should have at least 2 ways of communicating and signaling distress without the need for cell towers (in addition to distress flares and other signalling devices -- yes like a mirror) and you should match your solution to the places you are travelling to - and your ability to carry such devices.

Apple have added Emergency SOS via satellite to text emergency services when you're out of cellular and Wi-Fi coverage to their latest phones and watches.

BUT -- for me this is not good enough or as useful as the ACR EPIRB or PLB we use off-shore and when travelling to far off places. The advantage of these is that you register your details with the relevant authority in your country, who after receiving a distress alert forward the alert to the relevant authorities for your location -- and when they include GPS they transmit your location as well as data. I have one in my life-jacket, my personal marine radio includes one and we have a separate one we carry onto the boat or in our vehicles.

I currently use an Icom IC-M94DE "…the world's first marine VHF hand portable radio with an integrated AIS receiver as well as DSC and GPS" - which with a waterproof rating: IPX7 (1m for 30 minutes) is reasonably weatherproof - but we keep ours in waterproof pouches that also help them float. Prior to this I used a Cobra HH600 DSC Handheld VHF Radio -- the "essential" functionality is GPS & DSC.

AND you can also buy/rent a sat-phone -- which is the ultimate back-up -- particularly when combined with data/internet service. I use this in africa and other places. You need to be able to have line of sight to the satellites and this can be tough when in high mountains or down deep valleys - but if you or a party/group member is mobile then a short hike normally works.

Last edited:
I always take my Garmin InReach (older one, before the mini came out). In addition to emergency SOS via satellite you can set it up so that it will ping your position and allow people to follow you along your route. It also has text capabilities.

I'm in the process of building an overlanding vehicle. My hope is to be off the grid shooting.

I'm looking at devices like the Garmin Inreach Mini for a way to call for help when the cell phone is out of range.

Curious if folks are using this technology and any kind of feedback you can provide.

For same application I have an Iridium Extreme cased in Pelican and with its own powerbank. Never had to use it in distress situation but got pizza delivered where there is simply no cell.

Having worked and recreated in remote places for over 50 years and participated in a number of searches I'll add my two cents worth. All too many people go to out-of-the-way places without proper knowledge, preparation or equipment with the attitude "I'll just call for help" if they do something stupid or needlessly endanger themselves and get in trouble. My opinion: If you, or your companions, can't get yourself out don't go. There are a lot of waterfalls I really want to photograph but won't -- because at my age I might not be able to get into the right spot for a good photo and back out safely. It's the height of irresponsibility to get yourself in a predicament and then ask someone else to possibility endanger themselves to get you out.

I'm a firm believer in charging for rescues since it appears that most people who call for a rescue could and should have helped themselves and didn't. All you have to do is read the reports of the backcountry rescues in the remote and wilderness areas in the northeast to get a plethora of examples. I've never carried a cell phone or emergency locator beacon and never will, I'll stay at home on the couch watching M*A*S*H reruns first. Yeah, I may die out there some day and I'll die doing something I really enjoy.

Last edited:
plb and inreach. we’re a bit weird, we use a pair of garmin alpha 200is for inreach so we can track our dogs and they work as stand alone gpses. the handsets can also track each other and we can use the inreach capability to msg each other. while the minis are popular, consider a larger unit with standalone gps capability like the gpsmap 66i.

Last edited:
Having worked and recreated in remote places for over 50 years and participated in a number of searches I'll add my two cents worth. All too many people go to out-of-the-way places without proper knowledge, preparation or equipment with the attitude "I'll just call for help" if they do something stupid or needlessly endanger themselves and get in trouble. My opinion: If you, or your companions, can't get yourself out don't go. There are a lot of waterfalls I really want to photograph but won't -- because at my age I might not be able to get into the right spot for a good photo and back out safely. It's the height of irresponsibility to get yourself in a predicament and then ask someone else to possibility endanger themselves to get you out.

I'm a firm believer in charging for rescues since it appears that most people who call for a rescue could and should have helped themselves and didn't. All you have to do is read the reports of the backcountry rescues in the remote and wilderness areas in the northeast to get a plethora of examples. I've never carried a cell phone or emergency locator beacon and never will, I'll stay at home on the couch watching M*A*S*H reruns first. Yeah, I may die out there some day and I'll die doing something I really enjoy.
Amen to that! I hear and read regularly of “hikers” taking on one of the Adirondack 46, clad only in shorts, T-shirt, and sandals, then falling or getting stuck and calling for help. NY DEC spends a lot of time and money pulling these numbskulls out.

Personally, I never carry a PLB, mainly because I typically travel with a buddy or in small groups, where someone else already has backup comms available. Safer that way, for many reasons, especially for geezers like me. 🤓

Last edited:
I've been using my Zoleo for a couple of years now. I like their pricing model better than Garmin.

Zoleo

It can be used either stand alone or through your cell phone. Through the phone is nice for texting and seeing the local weather.

Last edited:
also remember, even if you call for help, it's not going to arrive fast, if at all. self rescue should always be the first plan. but also keep in mind it's much better for anyone who may come looking for you to know where you are instead of LOOKING for where you might be. the more time they spent out there, the higher risk to them.

I only ever travel solo, whether hiking or in my Jeep or anywhere else. Much of that is beyond cell service. And although I am a stickler for preparedness, accidents can happen nevertheless. I take a Garmin GPSMAP 66i with me, which is a combo of GPS mapping, sat messenger, and emergency beacon. The emergency feature, for me, is strictly for absolutely dire emergencies where I cannot physically walk/drive/etc out of the situation under any circumstances (aka: I've broken both legs and am laying immobile in a ditch). And the sat messenger is, for me, intended for things like: 'my Jeep broke an axle and I need to contact a friend to call an off-road recovery company to tow me out.' I've never had to use either.

The few times I've encountered problems in the wilderness, I generally had the tools necessary to solve them without needing the beacon. Carrying a beacon isn't enough, in my opinion. Gotta pair that with self recovery tools (in the case of an overland vehicle... winch & winch kit, tow strap, shovel, tool kit, spare fluids, etc) and survival gear (water, shelter, first aid kit, firestarters, etc).

But nevertheless, I like the peace of mind that comes from having a way to call emergency services in the event of an actual, serious emergency. And the Garmin was the best choice for the sort of stuff I do. I have it mounted above the dash, within easy reach, in my Jeep when I'm in the backcountry. And I clip it onto my backpack when hiking. Lightweight, multi-function. My only complaint with the 66i is that it doesn't use regular AA batteries like my old Garmin did. It's USB-rechargable, which is fine for in the Jeep where there's an easy charging access, but less ideal deep in the backcountry on a multi-day hike. But that's the only real downside.

Also, there's the helpful ability with Garmin sat subscription to only pay for the months you need it. So if you're only going out a few months out of the year, you don't have to pay for the whole year.

Before the Garmin, I was using a SPOT X beacon. The subscription was about the same price, but it didn't offer as many features as the Garmin. You couldn't send custom sat messages, only ones pre-programmed in. And no GPS mapping capability. It was a lot cheaper, though, for the initial purchase. So that has it's appeal as well.

I appreciate the replies. My background is former EMT, current volunteer firefighter and 40+ year photojournalist. I've seen first hand how people get themselves into sticky and sometime deadly situations. I plan to carry recovery gear, trauma kit etc but a serious medical emergency can stike no matter how prepared you are. I also like the fact you can check in with a family member and they can send welfare checks to the device.

I believe in being prepared which is the reason I carry a tourniquet on my belt. It's amazing how fast you can bleed out.

I've taken gunfire multiple times and been wounded once. Regardless of the fact you might be in a major metropolitan city that ambulance probably isn't going to get to you in time if it a serious bleeder. This is why I'm doing my homework before venturing off grid.

That said if you haven't taken a stop the bleed course as well as a CPR course you should. The ability to control bleeding or provide quick quality CPR is the difference between life and death.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

A few years ago we purchased a Spot GEN device for my wife's parents who decided to move to a remote mountain location with limited communications when they were in their 80's. It was simple for them to use and we did all of the programming and setup for them. It had 3 buttons, one for we are safe, one for we need help but it is not an emergency, and an emergency button that would contact emergency services. It did not allow two way communication. We could program who received the messages when the first two buttons were pressed. It was very easy for them to use. I know Spot has a number of newer devices available. Whatever you carry needs to be something that anyone in your party can use in an emergency.

Woody, I'm with you on your “don’t get into trouble you can’t get out of” advice. Too many people assume that they can make any kind of mistake and help will swoop in without fail. I have to say, however, that I strongly disagree about leaving communications gear at home.

Communications gear is a tool, just like a knife or gloves or a first aid kit. Carrying a cell phone (or beacon in this case) does not cause someone to behave irresponsibly. It's the attitude of the user that creates issues.

Every ship from the too-small pleasurecraft shuttling drunken Jimmy Buffet fans around the Keys to the most tightly-run warship carries beacons and communications gear. The Navy isn't going to leave their gear behind because they are competent seamen, nor would they leave the gear behind because they're just puddling around a shoreline.

Bonus analogy: we put our seatbelts on every time we get in the car. It doesn't matter if we're going around the block--you do you best in every situation, and don't roll the dice unnecessarily.

By the same token, we should all carry communications gear as a lifeline for dangerous situations. It won't always help, and we shouldn't alter our behavior with the expectation that someone will ride to our rescue with the press of a button. But when I'm a mile from my car as the sun goes down and I wreck my ankle on a tree stump that jumped out at me, you can bet I'm going to call in the cavalry rather than spend the night pulling out the cold-weather gear and energy bars. And even if I only had a minor mishap, I'll be calling my wife to say "I'm a couple miles out from the car and I just turned my ankle. I'm OK to walk, but I'm going to be late. I'm currently at trail marker XX headed to my car at <GPS coordinates>."

Please, Woody, bring a cell phone with you when you're out in the wild. You're going to be a responsible hiker anyway. You might as well have an ace in the hole.

I appreciate the replies. My background is former EMT, current volunteer firefighter and 40+ year photojournalist. I've seen first hand how people get themselves into sticky and sometime deadly situations. I plan to carry recovery gear, trauma kit etc but a serious medical emergency can stike no matter how prepared you are. I also like the fact you can check in with a family member and they can send welfare checks to the device.

I believe in being prepared which is the reason I carry a tourniquet on my belt. It's amazing how fast you can bleed out.

I've taken gunfire multiple times and been wounded once. Regardless of the fact you might be in a major metropolitan city that ambulance probably isn't going to get to you in time if it a serious bleeder. This is why I'm doing my homework before venturing off grid.

That said if you haven't taken a stop the bleed course as well as a CPR course you should. The ability to control bleeding or provide quick quality CPR is the difference between life and death.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

What truck are you building? What are you doing to it?

Please, Woody, bring a cell phone with you when you're out in the wild. You're going to be a responsible hiker anyway. You might as well have an ace in the hole.
Few of the places I go have cell phone service, even one of my favorite places which is only four miles from our house as the crow flies. Eight years ago I slipped on ice, fell on my camera and broke six ribs on the left side -- about a mile and a half from the car which made for a slow painful walk out and drive home (spent two nights in the hospital since I was coughing up a bit of blood). I realize how quickly a severed femoral or brachial artery can result in death but am willing to take that risk just as I'm willing to risk ventricular fibrillation or anaphylaxis from an insect sting. Everything we do is subject to a certain level of risk and if we're not willing to accept that risk we shouldn't participate in that activity. With that, I'll get off my soapbox.

Last edited:

I am curious what vehicle are you using as your platform?

The truck is a Ram Power Wagon. I'm putting an ARE DCU topper/canopy on it. I want to stay as vehicle based as possible with as little setup/teardown as possible.

Hope to explore places like Big Ben with Death Valley on my list as well.

Finally got the truck, canopy should be here in a week or so and then the building begins!

The truck is a Ram Power Wagon. I'm putting an ARE DCU topper/canopy on it. I want to stay as vehicle based as possible with as little setup/teardown as possible.

Hope to explore places like Big Ben with Death Valley on my list as well.

Finally got the truck, canopy should be here in a week or so and then the building begins!
I’m in the final stages of trying to decide on the vehicle I want to build as well. Actually headed out the door to do some shopping. I live in TX and enjoy Astro photography as well and Big Bend is on our list for first places to go. Where do you live? I’m outside of Dallas.

I’ve been using a Garmin inReach Mini for almost 3 years. I like it. I like that I can turn off the monthly service for periods of time. Here’s a good comparison of products, features and prices.

I’m in the final stages of trying to decide on the vehicle I want to build as well. Actually headed out the door to do some shopping. I live in TX and enjoy Astro photography as well and Big Bend is on our list for first places to go. Where do you live? I’m outside of Dallas.

I'm in Terrell. Good luck on the search. I ordered a Ford Lairet Tremor (been Ford guy all my life) and after months of hearing "waiting to be scheduled" I looked elsewhere. The Power Wagon is nice in that most everything you need is factory installed. 2" lift, lockers front and rear, winch etc. I'm not big into huge aftermarket suspension mods etc.

Let us know what you got. The new Sequoia looks good too.

Back