Emergency beacons, do you carry one?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I always take my Garmin InReach (older one, before the mini came out). In addition to emergency SOS via satellite you can set it up so that it will ping your position and allow people to follow you along your route. It also has text capabilities.
I have been doing this for years with an older InReach (built by Delorme) and it works well.
I am always looking for a substitute though because the Garmin interface and operation is very cumbersome and poorly thought out.

I'm in the process of building an overlanding vehicle. My hope is to be off the grid shooting.

I'm looking at devices like the Garmin Inreach Mini for a way to call for help when the cell phone is out of range.

Curious if folks are using this technology and any kind of feedback you can provide.
Here in Australia cellphones etc are usually out of signal.
Although you can get a cellphone booster something like the InReach is essential...🦘

I was with a small group hiking from Yosemite Nat'l Park to Lake Tahoe in the Carson Iceberg Wilderness. One hiker in the group lost footing on the trail, and broke every bone in her ankle. We were probably 8 miles from a road in any direction. I had an InReach and another group member had a Spot. The SOS's resulted in a Civil Air Patrol fixed wing aircraft, which arrived in about an hour, and after he waggled wings upon seeing us and flew off, the California Highway Patrol helicopter and EMT crew arrived about 45 minutes later. Fallen hiker had her ankle stabilized and was in a hospital in Tahoe before the rest of us made it to the evening's planned campsite. Don't leave home without one.

I am amazed at all of the excellent information and advice already posted to this blog entry.

I will add my own recommendation that deals with maps, compasses and basic outdoor skills and knowledge. I am 79 and grew up when electronic stuff was pretty much non existent, especially for outdoor activities. Those venturing in the outdoors knew they had to have topographical maps with them, the ones with contour lines, water features, etc on them, and they had to know how to read them and use a compass (and the sun and shadows) to determine directions. When my wife and I did hiking in Colorado or any other place, I always bought a topo map for the area where I would be hiking even if it had marked trails. Our practice still applies to everyone who ventures out today as far as I am concerned. Paper topo maps and compasses are needed. Get them before you start your trip. Do not rely just on electronic devices or electronic maps as some may fail or some may not be 100% accurate. And you must invest time to learn how to read them and use them properly. For me that took place in the Boy Scouts and US Army. I do like the recommendations of taking some sort of electronic signaling device on any adventure hike or outing asa Plan B or C device.

I am amazed at all of the excellent information and advice already posted to this blog entry.

I will add my own recommendation that deals with maps, compasses and basic outdoor skills and knowledge. I am 79 and grew up when electronic stuff was pretty much non existent, especially for outdoor activities. Those venturing in the outdoors knew they had to have topographical maps with them, the ones with contour lines, water features, etc on them, and they had to know how to read them and use a compass (and the sun and shadows) to determine directions. When my wife and I did hiking in Colorado or any other place, I always bought a topo map for the area where I would be hiking even if it had marked trails. Our practice still applies to everyone who ventures out today as far as I am concerned. Paper topo maps and compasses are needed. Get them before you start your trip. Do not rely just on electronic devices or electronic maps as some may fail or some may not be 100% accurate. And you must invest time to learn how to read them and use them properly. For me that took place in the Boy Scouts and US Army. I do like the recommendations of taking some sort of electronic signaling device on any adventure hike or outing asa Plan B or C device.

Well said and very true. I carry two GPS devices, one of them is an InReach and I also use my phone's GPS to plot my location on third party maps on the phone such as Alltrails. i do this out of curiosity more than a specific need.

It is remarkable how the three different GPS's will show three different locations for me on their respective maps at the same time. They are off by fractions of a mile versus miles but that can be alarming in the mountains. At times they will lose connectivity entirely so maps are a great backup resource.

After I retired I worked as a fly fishing guide for several years and would download and print out 8x10" topo maps of the back country. I haven't guided for about 15 years but still have a file folder stuffed with topo maps stashed in my car between the driver's seat and the console and still refer to them from time to time.
Thanks again for your comments.

I wish paper maps were more readily available theses days.
Like cellphone coverage - Electronic maps are just not available in the places I like to go...🦘

I wish paper maps were more readily available theses days.
Like cellphone coverage - Electronic maps are just not available in the places I like to go...🦘
You can find the maps online from GAIA, Alltrails etc. There seems to be a lot of sources.
Just download them and print them. Unless the map is trail specific I usually just download the map and select the section of the map that I want and then print that.

Once I'm back in a canoe next spring even though lots of it will be in view of a major city's skyline I'll be carrying something (likely Garmin InReach) other than relying on my cell phone; should have it now for the non wilderness hiking I'm doing since I do it almost exclusively alone and I've checked a few times and found zero cell coverage. This thread was a good reminder that I've forgotten that cell phones are not the tool needed!

Reactions: Roy

USGS maps may also be available at State Land Grant Universities and/or State Geological Service offices, USFS and NPS sites.

I'm in Terrell. Good luck on the search. I ordered a Ford Lairet Tremor (been Ford guy all my life) and after months of hearing "waiting to be scheduled" I looked elsewhere. The Power Wagon is nice in that most everything you need is factory installed. 2" lift, lockers front and rear, winch etc. I'm not big into huge aftermarket suspension mods etc.
Sending you a private message.

Let us know what you got. The new Sequoia looks good too.
I drove a Chevy Silverado ZR2 yesterday, along with a 2019 Land Cruiser and a 2022 Ford F150 Tremor. I would love to take a Sequoia out but not many out there and the ones that are dealers are selling for significantly over MSRP which is a no go for me.

Back