Favorite North American wildlife & locations?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Abinoone

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Many of us spend winter months thinking about potential destinations and target species to photograph in the year ahead, and I was wondering what yours might be. What are your favorite photo subjects, and where are your preferred spots to find them? I fully realize that discretion often is the better part of valor, so please feel free to be general in your descriptions of favorite destinations, although not so general that it’s meaningless (“Yellowstone” is fine but “Wyoming” or “out west” isn't terribly helpful). If you’re OK divulging details, please feel free.

I’ll start:

1. Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge in the spring and fall for migratory waterfowl, and general scenics. It’s a spectacular place full of history and beauty.
2. Yellowstone NP, particularly in the fall. Often crowded during the summer, I especially like early fall when crowds begin to thin, and elk and bison are in rut. Pronghorn also are an interesting target subject, an occasional moose is welcome, and those cute little pikas are fun as well.
3. Alaska in late summer/early fall during salmon runs, for brown bears. I especially like spending time on the Katmai coast - a naturalist and wildlife lover’s dream. Sea otters and other marine life in the surrounding waters are bonuses.

Three regions here in Texas are favorites for me: south Texas, the Gulf Coast and the Texas hill country provide a hugely diverse and exotic bird population. We have the luxury of several private ranches that provide unique opportunities for great photography. On my current wishlist is a trip to Arizona. Lots of places I’d love to visit but old age and monetary concerns are very limiting factors for me.

In winter Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge in Tennessee is a good place for Sandhill cranes and sometimes whooping cranes and pelicans. Generally November-February. It doesn’t get the recognition of other places but it’s been good to me. I have seen a lot of reptiles in the Scuppernong area of North Carolina.
How do you explore this area? By canoe? Trails? I'm about 130 miles NE of there............

I don't have any massive locations like everyone else to share, no national parks or big refuges. But to me, Ed Levin County Park in the Bay Area is all I could want from a photography location. From late fall to early spring, bald eagles fish the lake in the morning along with kingfishers, cormorants, herons, and pelicans. The pelicans wait for the cormorants to catch a fish and then attack them, hoping to score a meal. And from early spring to early fall, White tailed kites nest in the hills and perform spectacular food exchanges with the hills in the BG. Cooper's hawks also nest there and bring back food to their young often. And, GHO's and red shouldered hawks both nest in the eucalyptus trees as well. Golden eagles and red tailed hawks fly in the hills above. It sounds like a lot for a relatively small park, but they really are all there.

How about Custer State Park in south Dakota, near Mount Rushmore - pronghorn, elk, bison, mouuntain goats, and more on a nice drive. All with the added bonus of being within a two hour drive of Devil's Tower in one direction and the South Dakota Badlands in another. Many things to do and see in the area. Also, Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado for moose, mule deer, elk and more plus nearby Estes Park where the elk come downtown and hang out at the golf course. You can also check posts by MalcolmP for what is available. And you are not too far from Poudre Canyon with Bighorn and other things.

Last edited:
I currently don't have the time to travel to these destination type places for wildlife photography, so I stay local. So far, the Laurel Highlands in western PA will be my go to for spring and summer. I've only been once but it has an amazing diversity when it comes to breeding songbirds including many of my favorite Warblers. It's only an hour away, but it's a guarantee that I'll see many beautiful species that only pass through my location on migration.

I have many persistent fantasies of trips to south Florida in the winter, SE Arizona's sky islands in the spring, Medicine Bow Bend in Rocky Mountain NP for White-tailed Ptarmigan and Beartooth Pass on the WY/MT border for Black Rosy Finch, the midwest for the spring warbler migration, but... there's no place like home.

California's Central Valley wildlife refuges are no more than 2 hours away and host many tens of thousands of wintering waterfowl and the raptors that follow them; in the spring also 2 hours away, the Sierra Nevada has numerous nesting birds and in the fall, Kokanee Salmon at Lake Tahoe bring out the Black Bears at Taylor Creek. The Sierra Valley north of Lake Tahoe has spring-fed marshes with nesting waterfowl and Sandhill Cranes in the spring, and wintering raptors. The east side of the Sierra Nevada is famous for fall foliage and a select few resorts have feeders that bring high-mountain birds to easy viewing.

The American River Parkway here in Sacramento County is rich with wildlife: deer, coyote, bobcat, jackrabbit, otters, beavers, Bald Eagles, Osprey and occasionally Mountain Lion; the river itself is winter home for Bufflehead, both Goldeneyes, the occasional Common Loons and rarities like Long-tailed Duck or White-winged Scoter.

Close to home means I can plan multiple trips around the weather instead of hoping for the best and taking whatever the weather and lighting throws at me. Travel to distant destinations gives me better species diversity but my best photographs are close to home.

Last edited:
I have many persistent fantasies of trips to south Florida in the winter, SE Arizona's sky islands in the spring, Medicine Bow Bend in Rocky Mountain NP for White-tailed Ptarmigan and Beartooth Pass on the WY/MT border for Black Rosy Finch, the midwest for the spring warbler migration, but... there's no place like home.

California's Central Valley wildlife refuges are no more than 2 hours away and host many tens of thousands of wintering waterfowl and the raptors that follow them; in the spring also 2 hours away, the Sierra Nevada has numerous nesting birds and in the fall, Kokanee Salmon at Lake Tahoe bring out the Black Bears at Taylor Creek. The Sierra Valley north of Lake Tahoe has spring-fed marshes with nesting waterfowl and Sandhill Cranes in the spring, and wintering raptors. The east side of the Sierra Nevada is famous for fall foliage and a select few resorts have feeders that bring high-mountain birds to easy viewing.

The American River Parkway here in Sacramento County is rich with wildlife: deer, coyote, bobcat, jackrabbit, otters, beavers, Bald Eagles, Osprey and probably Mountain Lion; the river itself is winter home for Bufflehead, both Goldeneyes, the occasional Common Loons and rarities like Long-tailed Duck or White-winged Scoter.

Close to home means I can plan multiple trips around the weather instead of hoping for the best and taking whatever the weather and lighting throws at me. Travel to distant destinations gives me better species diversity but my best photographs are close to home.
Good call on Taylor creek, hoping to go there next year.

Three regions here in Texas are favorites for me: south Texas, the Gulf Coast and the Texas hill country provide a hugely diverse and exotic bird population. We have the luxury of several private ranches that provide unique opportunities for great photography. On my current wishlist is a trip to Arizona. Lots of places I’d love to visit but old age and monetary concerns are very limiting factors for me.
Would love to visit Texas for wildlife! A Texan photographer friend of mine just opened his own ranch (Hackberry Farm) near Dodd City, and offers photo tours and workshops. Very appealing.

The American River Parkway here in Sacramento County is rich with wildlife: deer, coyote, bobcat, jackrabbit, otters, beavers, Bald Eagles, Osprey and probably Mountain Lion; the river itself is winter home for Bufflehead, both Goldeneyes, the occasional Common Loons and rarities like Long-tailed Duck or White-winged Scoter.

Lots of wisdom in finding favorite spots close to home, especially when you live in such a resource rich area!

How about Custer State Park in south Dakota, near Mount Rushmore - pronghorn, elk, bison, mouuntain goats, and more on a nice drive. All with the added bonus of being within a two hour drive of Devil's Tower in one direction and the South Dakota Badlands in another. Many things to do and see in the area. Also, Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado for moose, mule deer, elk and more plus nearby Estes Park where the elk come downtown and hang out at the golf course. You can also check posts by MalcolmP for what is available. And you are not too far from Poudre Canyon with Bighorn and other things.
I’ve heard many great things about Custer State Park - in fact, I believe that it’s one of Steve’s favorite spots.

Reactions: JAS
In winter Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge in Tennessee is a good place for Sandhill cranes and sometimes whooping cranes and pelicans. Generally November-February. It doesn’t get the recognition of other places but it’s been good to me. I have seen a lot of reptiles in the Scuppernong area of North Carolina.
Sounds interesting. The only thing I know about Hiwassee is that it’s the location of a very famous prehistoric Native American site, Hiwassee Island, now unfortunately underwater from damming.

It has been a while since we were there but here is an uncropped shot from our visit (Sep 2013). Taken from inside the car. Still seeing good things from there.

BCG.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

How do you explore this area? By canoe? Trails? I'm about 130 miles NE of there............
During winter the area you can explore is restricted unless you can get some of the private property owners to let you on their land. So most people will start at the visitor center gazebo. There are also some areas nearby like a boat launch at the river and the Hiwassee Bridge that will have critters at times. Usually the pelicans will hang out in one of those areas.

I tend to stay “local” (within 3-3.5 hour drive for a day trip), around New England and adjacent New York. There are literally dozens upon dozens of conservation area and refuges scattered throughout this region.

Some of my favorite spots are:
• Montezuma NWR in Seneca Falls, NY
• Sachuest Point NWR in Middletown, RI
• Parker River NWR in Newbury, MA
• Mississquoi NWR in Swanton, VT
• CT Audubon Coastal Center in Milford, CT
• Rocky Neck State Park in Niantic, CT

I have a list of about 15 other places scattered throughout New England that I plan on visiting at some point, and I’m planning a trip to Bombay Hook NWR (and maybe Blackwater NWR) on the Delmarva Peninsula, but that will be a “stay a few days” trip. There are also around a dozen places within an hour of my house that I visit quite often.

I tend to stay “local” (within 3-3.5 hour drive for a day trip), around New England and adjacent New York. There are literally dozens upon dozens of conservation area and refuges scattered throughout this region.

Some of my favorite spots are:
• Montezuma NWR in Seneca Falls, NY
• Sachuest Point NWR in Middletown, RI
• Parker River NWR in Newbury, MA
• Mississquoi NWR in Swanton, VT
• CT Audubon Coastal Center in Milford, CT
• Rocky Neck State Park in Niantic, CT

I have a list of about 15 other places scattered throughout New England that I plan on visiting at some point, and I’m planning a trip to Bombay Hook NWR (and maybe Blackwater NWR) on the Delmarva Peninsula, but that will be a “stay a few days” trip. There are also around a dozen places within an hour of my house that I visit quite often.

I can second Parker River. That is my local NWR and I'm there just about every weekend.

I don't have any massive locations like everyone else to share, no national parks or big refuges. But to me, Ed Levin County Park in the Bay Area is all I could want from a photography location. From late fall to early spring, bald eagles fish the lake in the morning along with kingfishers, cormorants, herons, and pelicans. The pelicans wait for the cormorants to catch a fish and then attack them, hoping to score a meal. And from early spring to early fall, White tailed kites nest in the hills and perform spectacular food exchanges with the hills in the BG. Cooper's hawks also nest there and bring back food to their young often. And, GHO's and red shouldered hawks both nest in the eucalyptus trees as well. Golden eagles and red tailed hawks fly in the hills above. It sounds like a lot for a relatively small park, but they really are all there.
Oh man, I'm so glad to know this. Outside of LA the Bay Area is the place I most frequent. Thanks!

I've only gotten to take one real extended wildlife photography trip and that was to Yellowstone, Jackson WY and Custer Stat Park. Of those the place I would most like to go back to is Custer.

There are though, especially considering it's LA - some surprisingly good local spots that offer quite a lot of opportunity (mammals mostly excluded). These are Sepulvda Basin, Malibu Lagoon. Bolsa Chica in Huntington Beach, San Joaquin in Irvine and San Jacinto In Lakeview.

Further afield I've come to love Merced NWR and outside of LA it's the place I get to the most. And when I have work in the Bay Area I always try to get out to Point Reyes.

Bosque in late autumn
Denali National Park, back country area near Wonder Lake in last August, early Sept
Yellowstone as you mentioned, esp in the late Sept and early August after the crowds have left.
McAllen area (ranches) for song birds

Someone mentioned Huntington Beach. There's another Huntington Beach in Murrell's Inlet South Carolina (near Myrtle Beach) that is great for wildlife. There is a small entry fee but you'll see plenty of heron, egrets, anhinga, cormorants, and depending on time of year spoonbill and wood stork - among other types. Definitely a good place to go.

Someone mentioned Huntington Beach. There's another Huntington Beach in Murrell's Inlet South Carolina (near Myrtle Beach) that is great for wildlife. There is a small entry fee but you'll see plenty of heron, egrets, anhinga, cormorants, and depending on time of year spoonbill and wood stork - among other types. Definitely a good place to go.
I follow someone on IG who posts regularly from there and many times I've had a moment of 'that shot was from Huntington?!?' before realizing it was the SC Huntington. Lol.

I follow someone on IG who posts regularly from there and many times I've had a moment of 'that shot was from Huntington?!?' before realizing it was the SC Huntington. Lol.
Yeah, I've posted images on IG and tag it to Huntington beach and have had photogs message me and ask me where I saw the species until I tell them it's SC. The photos usually are also tagged with South Carolina so they just got too excited.

My current favorite location is the Okefenokee Swamp. There is something special about being in a canoe, away from people, and having the time to be patient viewing and photographing wildlife, macro, and landscapes. I find it to be a great location both in late October/November and February-April - warm enough for active alligators but cool enough to avoid mosquitoes and yellow flies. It's one of the top 10 wildflower locations in Georgia highlighted by pitcher plants and orchids. It's a top location for alligators as well as snakes, frogs and turtles. And it's good for bears, deer, otters, raccoons, and a lot more warm blooded animals. Fall color with the rust of the cypress foliage is among the best I have seen for color.

I usually pair Okefenokee with a trip to St. Augustine Alligator Farm (spring only), Jekyll Island, or Harris Neck NWR. You can book a guided tour for sunset on the water on the eastern side (Suwanee Canal). Canoe rentals are available but you need to be off the water about 1-2 hours before sunset unless you are on a tour or staying on a reserved overnight platform in the swamp.

I'd put West Virginia - New River Gorge and Blackwater Falls areas - as a close second. I think of these areas as being similar to the Great Smoky Mountains, but with few crowds and better water features.

Back