Favorite North American wildlife & locations?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

While I love elk, I can’t agree with your sentiments about the wolves. They were purposely reintroduced to Yellowstone, and have done wonders to help restore the ecological balance to the ecosystem. Prior to their reintroduction, elk herds had grown to the point that they were seriously degrading the environment through overgrazing. While there are now fewer elk in YNP, they are still very numerous and easily photographed there...

Great Idea to have this thread! In Ohio, the area on the south/west shore of lake Erie is great yaar round but especially in spring. Oak opening metro park In Toledo has the only recurring nesting site for Lark Sparrow, Howard marsh in Bono has the only nesting yellow headed blackbird in Ohio, Ottawa is a great site for trumpeter swans and bald eagles, and Magee Marsh..well, a world famous boardwalk for warblers in May. I will let those living in Clevland to tell us about their winter visitors. Killdeer plane and Centerville for short year owls in winter, Shawnee forest and Hope Lake in SE Ohio for warblers in April, and Shawnee lookout and Miami whitewater in the SW for warblers in spring. Fernald preserve in the SW for ducks, bald eagle and SEO in winter. If you plan a trip, message me and I will provide details.... or go to my Flickr account and look for the Geo Tags on the images for exact location.
I second Bolsa Chica, I would add Lake Hodges (Rancho Bernardo) in February to see Western/Clark grebe courtship (movie attached) and later, grebe feeding chicks. In florida, I second St Augustine Rookery, add Orlando Wetland park (new boardwalk is great), Circle B, Fort DeSotto.

Last edited:
I don't have any massive locations like everyone else to share, no national parks or big refuges. But to me, Ed Levin County Park in the Bay Area is all I could want from a photography location. From late fall to early spring, bald eagles fish the lake in the morning along with kingfishers, cormorants, herons, and pelicans. The pelicans wait for the cormorants to catch a fish and then attack them, hoping to score a meal. And from early spring to early fall, White tailed kites nest in the hills and perform spectacular food exchanges with the hills in the BG. Cooper's hawks also nest there and bring back food to their young often. And, GHO's and red shouldered hawks both nest in the eucalyptus trees as well. Golden eagles and red tailed hawks fly in the hills above. It sounds like a lot for a relatively small park, but they really are all there.
I'm only 3 hrs away from this place, thanks for sharing! I'll definitely check it out.

Joe - what is the best timing for South Dakota - I have this area on my list. Thanks!
We were there in mid to late September. Saw lots of elk, bison, pronghorns. Plus we saw mountaing goats heading out the backside of Custer over towards Mount Rushmore. The scenery photography was also great.

I live in Central coast, California. In San Luis Obispo coastal area we have a host of shore birds year round: Great Blue Herons, Black Crowned night herons, curlews, brown and white pelicans, ducks and egrets. Many small birds around the trails and during migration we have whale watching. During the winter, we have a moarch butterfly grove that's home to 10s of thousands of butterflies every year,, and up the coast the elephant seals will breed and birth pups.
About 3 hours away, at Merced National Wildlife Refuge, you'll have huge flocks of Sandhill cranes, geese and pelicans.

I'd love to hear from some fellow British Columbia residents here.

My current locations are:
Pitt Lake for beavers year round and Ospreys in the summer
Boundary Bay for raptors in the winter
Sea to Sky highway for sea lions and seals.
Squamish for eagles
Harrison River for eagles during the salmon season.
Bears can be found almost anywhere around me in the spring/summer.

I prefer furry critters to feathered critters and I'm always looking for suggestions.

While I love elk, I can’t agree with your sentiments about the wolves. They were purposely reintroduced to Yellowstone, and have done wonders to help restore the ecological balance to the ecosystem. Prior to their reintroduction, elk herds had grown to the point that they were seriously degrading the environment through overgrazing. While there are now fewer elk in YNP, they are still very numerous and easily photographed there, but if you’re looking for other locations, there are quite a few, depending on where you are. Some regions have reintroduced elk - for example, there’s a fairly large herd in central Pennsylvania, as well as in the Smokey Mountains. These eastern herds have no natural predators, so they have little fear and are easy to spot.
I agree 100% with Abinoone regarding both wolves and the elk population in both Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs. I live in Gardiner, MT, which is within walking distance of the North Entrance, and I'm in the park photographing the animals 4-5 days a week. I can tell you elk are numerous both inside and outside the parks. Wolves serve a very important purpose and their reintroduction in 1994 and 95 has done much to restore the ecological balance to the ecosystem, as Abinoone has said. According to the 2023 edition of the Yellowstone Resources and Issues Handbook, published by the National Park Service, "Yellowstone provides summer range for an estimated 10,000 to 20,000 elk from six to seven herds, most of which winter at lower elevations outside the park." Additionally, that same guide states that "[E]lk are the most abundant large mammal found in Yellowstone." The loss of elk population was primarily the doing of humans when it was decided that the elk population was so large that the herds had to be "culled" (read, "killed"), which ended in the 60s, but today Montana still permits limited and controlled hunts of Elk outside the park. There is no doubt that the wolves hunt elk but the elk population is today stable or even possibly increasing, according to the guidebook. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but this is an issue raised here and is a matter of significant concern in Yellowstone.

As for the availability of elk to photograph on the east coast, again, as Abinoone has said, there are herds in central Pennsylvania outside Benezette and also in North Carolina just outside Cherokee at the Oconaluftee Visitor Center and also in the Cataloochee Valley of North Carolina.

Elk are my favorite when it comes to wildlife. Prior to the invasion of wolves in Yellowstone and Grand Teton they were easily found and photographed in both of these parks. Sadly, this is not the case, today. Rocky Mountain NP seems to be the place in the fall if you want big bulls in your viewfinder. However, even this could change as I understand that wolves are to be introduced in Colorado. If any of you here in Backcountry have recommendations for elk photography, I would appreciate information. White Tail Deer are another favorite and here in Texas there are ranches that welcome photographers, though the cost is considerable. The Rio Grand Valley is great for birds.
Wolves are apex predators who help maintain the balance of the ecosystem. Without Wolves, prey animals, such as deer, undergo population explosions that diminish vegetation cover, leading to increased erosion and even disruption of river channels. In short, Wolves are essential to the success of the ecosystem.

Wolves are apex predators who help maintain the balance of the ecosystem. Without Wolves, prey animals, such as deer, undergo population explosions that diminish vegetation cover, leading to increased erosion and even disruption of river channels. In short, Wolves are essential to the success of the ecosystem.
Farley Mowat's book Never Cry Wolf cites native wisdom that the wolf keeps the caribou strong.

Squamish for eagles

I prefer furry critters to feathered critters and I'm always looking for suggestions.
Muncho Lake for Stone Sheep (a thinhorn subspecies).

ovidas02.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I agree 100% with Abinoone regarding both wolves and the elk population in both Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs. I live in Gardiner, MT, which is within walking distance of the North Entrance, and I'm in the park photographing the animals 4-5 days a week. I can tell you elk are numerous both inside and outside the parks. Wolves serve a very important purpose and their reintroduction in 1994 and 95 has done much to restore the ecological balance to the ecosystem, as Abinoone has said. According to the 2023 edition of the Yellowstone Resources and Issues Handbook, published by the National Park Service, "Yellowstone provides summer range for an estimated 10,000 to 20,000 elk from six to seven herds, most of which winter at lower elevations outside the park." Additionally, that same guide states that "[E]lk are the most abundant large mammal found in Yellowstone." The loss of elk population was primarily the doing of humans when it was decided that the elk population was so large that the herds had to be "culled" (read, "killed"), which ended in the 60s, but today Montana still permits limited and controlled hunts of Elk outside the park. There is no doubt that the wolves hunt elk but the elk population is today stable or even possibly increasing, according to the guidebook. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but this is an issue raised here and is a matter of significant concern in Yellowstone.

As for the availability of elk to photograph on the east coast, again, as Abinoone has said, there are herds in central Pennsylvania outside Benezette and also in North Carolina just outside Cherokee at the Oconaluftee Visitor Center and also in the Cataloochee Valley of North Carolina.
You are a very fortunate man to live in Gardiner. My roots are in the east, but I would dearly love to spend at least a few months in the YNP area someday.

Squamish for eagles

Khutzeymateen Grizzly Bear Preserve!

Although unlikely to happen my lifetime, I would like to see wolves reintroduced into the midwestern and eastern states (aside from WI and MI) for a variety of reasons, not the least of which would be to control the explosive populations of white tailed deer. Deer/vehicle collisions alone cause billions of dollars of property damage annually, and not a few human deaths. But unfortunately, there’s a widespread fear of wolves, and ignorance about their positive benefits to environmental health.

You are a very fortunate man to live in Gardiner. My roots are in the east, but I would dearly love to spend at least a few months in the YNP area someday.
I come from NY with stops all along the east coast. Last year, after visiting Yellowstone for years 2 weeks at a time decided to move here for a year. I’ve loved it. I haven’t decided whether to stay or move on to another adventure come April. Still working on it, but Yellowstone remains a strong contender.

Although unlikely to happen my lifetime, I would like to see wolves reintroduced into the midwestern and eastern states (aside from WI and MI) for a variety of reasons, not the least of which would be to control the explosive populations of white tailed deer. Deer/vehicle collisions alone cause billions of dollars of property damage annually, and not a few human deaths. But unfortunately, there’s a widespread fear of wolves, and ignorance about their positive benefits to environmental health.
Wolves have reintroduced themselves in very small numbers in northeast California, widespread public reaction in this ranching area is TBD. Fingers crossed.

I don't have any massive locations like everyone else to share, no national parks or big refuges. But to me, Ed Levin County Park in the Bay Area is all I could want from a photography location. From late fall to early spring, bald eagles fish the lake in the morning along with kingfishers, cormorants, herons, and pelicans. The pelicans wait for the cormorants to catch a fish and then attack them, hoping to score a meal. And from early spring to early fall, White tailed kites nest in the hills and perform spectacular food exchanges with the hills in the BG. Cooper's hawks also nest there and bring back food to their young often. And, GHO's and red shouldered hawks both nest in the eucalyptus trees as well. Golden eagles and red tailed hawks fly in the hills above. It sounds like a lot for a relatively small park, but they really are all there.
Thanks for the advice! I'll be in the area next week and will check it out.

Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge near Outer Banks of North Carolina is my all time favorite. Largest Black Bears in the world, Red Wolves, Owls, River Otters, Coyotes, Falcons, Hawks and more
I would like to pick your brain sometime about ARNWR. I’ve had it in my list for years and would like to go in 2024.

I tend to stay “local” (within 3-3.5 hour drive for a day trip), around New England and adjacent New York. There are literally dozens upon dozens of conservation area and refuges scattered throughout this region.

Some of my favorite spots are:
• Montezuma NWR in Seneca Falls, NY
• Sachuest Point NWR in Middletown, RI
• Parker River NWR in Newbury, MA
• Mississquoi NWR in Swanton, VT
• CT Audubon Coastal Center in Milford, CT
• Rocky Neck State Park in Niantic, CT

I have a list of about 15 other places scattered throughout New England that I plan on visiting at some point, and I’m planning a trip to Bombay Hook NWR (and maybe Blackwater NWR) on the Delmarva Peninsula, but that will be a “stay a few days” trip. There are also around a dozen places within an hour of my house that I visit quite often.

Hey have you been to Hammonassett in Madison?
It is pretty much in between Milford and Rocky Neck and thought to be the best location by many in CT. Marsh, woods, ocean, fields, on spring and fall migration routes.
Really amazing at times

Back