Finally a monopod.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This trio -- RRS quick release arca swiss thingy, Gitzo series four carbon monopod and the Wimberly monopod gimbal -- has been in my B&H cart for a very, very long time. The loctite (blue) is applied to both monpod mounting platform and arc swiss quick release. I had both the Gitzo and the RRS monopod in the basket (clearly hadn't made a decision :) ) and nicely the Gitzo was on sale by about $140 cad, making my decision easy.

I share as I find most product advice comes down to 'this is what I use' (which is very useful) posts, so, this is what I'm going to be using. Gawd, it's going to take some practice so I don't drop the gear! :)

mono .jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I have the budget version of that setup in a Benro Supadupa carbon monopod and a Weyllan PH3. They’re pretty nice to hike around with compared with a tripod! Total weight is about 810 grams/1.8 lbs.
Yah, I couldn't believe the monopod was in the shipment box; so light!

Yah, I couldn't believe the monopod was in the shipment box; so light

I think that Gitzo and Wimberly is about the best of that setup you can get hands on. I like how when you place that setup over your shoulder it sits well so nothings digging in and kind of distributes the weight so it’s very comfortable for walking, and keeps the whole setup from bouncing around or hitting stuff.

I mostly only use tripods for nighttime stuff these days or autocapture.

Now I foun something more for you to do.

You can switch out the screw type quick release clamp for a RRS lever system. You have to send the pieces to Wimberley and they will put it together for you for next to nothing.

I use the same monopod, but 5 sections, with a Sirui head is very useful and convenient . In addition with the rather heavy telephoto lenses to not having to carry the weight of camera and lens with arms and shoulders you can use very slow shutter speeds, for example to keep blocks lower or to emphasize rain/snow. With the 600 I can shoot at 1/4 sec. ;)
If you shoot with the camera attached to the monopod you lose some immediacy in framing your subjects, but with a little practice you have many other advantages

I have a meFoto tripod where one leg screws off to become a monopod when screwed to the removed centre column. With the wimberley monogimbel it works really well with the Z8 and z180-600 attached. I’m tempted by that Gitzo monopod.

Do you like the MH100? I bought it a few years ago when everyone was talking about it. But I found it awkward to use with big lenses as you are always fighting the weight pulling to one side. I find using a small, lightweight gimbal like the Jobu Jr 3 Deluxe to be a far better shooting experience when using 600/4 lens. Smoother movement and weight is balanced over the monopod.

You can switch out the screw type quick release clamp for a RRS lever system. You have to send the pieces to Wimberley and they will put it together for you for next to nothing.

Or you could just do it yourself. ............Plus Wimberley is a long way from OZ. ;)

Mh-101.jpg

Do you like the MH100? I bought it a few years ago when everyone was talking about it. But I found it awkward to use with big lenses as you are always fighting the weight pulling to one side. I find using a small, lightweight gimbal like the Jobu Jr 3 Deluxe to be a far better shooting experience when using 600/4 lens. Smoother movement and weight is balanced over the monopod.
Same experience I had and ended up with the RRS version which is built like a tank and far more easier for me to mount the lens on due to the condition of my arms.
IMG_1799.jpeg
IMG_1798.jpeg

Good choice! I use the Wimberley MH-100 on a Benro monopod and am a very happy user. For added safety, I still often tether my Z8-600TC to my Cotton Carrier vest. I prefer the screw mount on the Wimberley for balancing adjustments; I can loosen it enough to slide fore and aft without total release of the lens foot from the gimbal.

I think that Gitzo and Wimberly is about the best of that setup you can get hands on. I like how when you place that setup over your shoulder it sits well so nothings digging in and kind of distributes the weight so it’s very comfortable for walking, and keeps the whole setup from bouncing around or hitting stuff.

I mostly only use tripods for nighttime stuff these days or autocapture.
If I ever get back to being able to shoot big mammals I think the tripod will get more use; or I finally accept the advice of sitting still in one place for bird photography :) Cheers!

Yah, well they aughta make the version available from the get-go. Ain't sending anything off for conversion now given what the turn around time will be :) Love the idea of the added 'security' of a quick release lever though.

Using the same head with a GM5561T monopod. Works very well. Tip: always make sure that the lens foot is properly clamped (into the head clamp) in order to prevent disaster...
Yah, playing around mounting the gear yesterday and realized I'll be easily twice as paranoid careful with 'connections' using the mono as I already am using the tripod.

Yah, well they aughta make the version available from the get-go. Ain't sending anything off for conversion now given what the turn around time will be :) Love the idea of the added 'security' of a quick release lever though.
I’m not sure the quick release adds much quickness vs just turning a dial a few quick turns and the plate comes off. Seems like it’s only saving a second in this application.

You can probably witness mark the knob/plate so when it’s full tight you can easily visually see if it gets turned at all.

I have a meFoto tripod where one leg screws off to become a monopod when screwed to the removed centre column. With the wimberley monogimbel it works really well with the Z8 and z180-600 attached. I’m tempted by that Gitzo monopod.
It wasn't cheap (and given the barely noticeable in the hand feather weight I don't dare calculate the cost per gram :) ), but the quality is superb at first tinkering.

Haven't used it yet in the field. For what it's worth, standing on my balcony and in my living room practicing Steve's instructions for using a monopod I didn't get a sense a pull to one side; felt pretty balanced. Perhaps however it was me utterly focused on reminding myself that I could not let go of the monopod (eg it's not on a tripod) LOL Seriously, I think I'll be having a camera strap (as safety tether) around my neck at least for the first 100 days of use :)

I have the same monopod but didn’t like the Wimberley monopod head. I bought the RRS monopod head and love it.
Dang, been so long since I did my 'research' on this purchase; pretty sure I didn't know RRS had one. I will avoid checking it out, unless I find the Wimberley unsuitable :) Thanks!

Back