Finally a monopod.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Good choice! I use the Wimberley MH-100 on a Benro monopod and am a very happy user. For added safety, I still often tether my Z8-600TC to my Cotton Carrier vest. I prefer the screw mount on the Wimberley for balancing adjustments; I can loosen it enough to slide fore and aft without total release of the lens foot from the gimbal.
I found finding balance for the gear on the head incredibly easy (fast). Thanks.

Dang, been so long since I did my 'research' on this purchase; pretty sure I didn't know RRS had one. I will avoid checking it out, unless I find the Wimberley unsuitable :) Thanks!
You will probably be fine but for me especially with larger lenses it was really a struggle side loading into the adapter. With the RRS I just have to set the foot straight down into it.

I’m not sure the quick release adds much quickness vs just turning a dial a few quick turns and the plate comes off. Seems like it’s only saving a second in this application.

You can probably witness mark the knob/plate so when it’s full tight you can easily visually see if it gets turned at all.
Yah, less the 'quick' part of the quick release thingys and more the greater security of it not coming undone unnoticed as is possible with a knob. Just requires, of course, some normal vigilance, but well I'm quite capable of failing that on any given day :) Like your idea of the visual cue re marking the 'closed' position of the knob. Will do!

You will probably be fine but for me especially with larger lenses it was really a struggle side loading into the adapter. With the RRS I just have to set the foot straight down into it.
That is awkward so far; I'm using Steve's suggestion of having the camera laid down and bringing the foot to it.

I use this exact same setup for my Z9/180-600 lens. I find it to be very handy for wildlife shooting, and shouldering when walking around. I almost never remove the camera from this go-to setup. I recall getting this gimbal/monopod setup from the always great advice giver Steve Perry. No regrets.

I was thinking about getting a RRS monopod head based on the recommendations here. there are actually two versions one much more expensive. Anyone who uses those whih one should I be getting? the more sophisticated one is over $400.

I use this exact same setup for my Z9/180-600 lens. I find it to be very handy for wildlife shooting, and shouldering when walking around. I almost never remove the camera from this go-to setup. I recall getting this gimbal/monopod setup from the always great advice giver Steve Perry. No regrets.
Yah, I watched Steve's video on this when I got my 180-400 tc (four plus years ago?) and have been meaning to get it into my life since then :)

I was thinking about getting a RRS monopod head based on the recommendations here. there are actually two versions one much more expensive. Anyone who uses those whih one should I be getting? the more sophisticated one is over $400.
I had a very quick look (saw the pics on the site) and it appears one of them has the RRS quick release bracket included or built in?

So I finally mustered the confidence in all the connection points in this system to sling the 600tc on the Z9 perched on the end of the monopod over my shoulder. As Steve says in his video on the head, the side mount does allow the camera and lens to rest against one's shoulder blade/upper back taking much of the weight with little on shoulder where the mono rests. I'll still for long hikes with a distance to 'where' I expect to shoot expect I'll carry the gear in the cotton carrier (no hands definitely required for traipsing over brush and up and down river banks, etc) and then switch the gear to the monopod for any shooting or moving about when expecting to shoot wildlife.; and for trail or easy ground hiking I can see carrying the cam/lens with the monopod for good distances!
Again, while it was just around my living room and up and down my balcony, the side mount configuration makes for a dandy transport mode (certainly compared to using the tripod in the same way). Almost comfy :)

I have had the RRS monopod and Wimberley 100 setup for some time.

I have had problems with my technique. I have trouble holding things steady with the monopod and I actually can hold the camera steadier handheld. I use Holdfast straps so I am only holding the weight for brief periods while shooting.

I know there are better ways to hold the monopod I need to work on improving my technique. I do very well if I can sit on a log or bench and steady the monopod against my frame.

I have had the RRS monopod and Wimberley 100 setup for some time.

I have had problems with my technique. I have trouble holding things steady with the monopod and I actually can hold the camera steadier handheld. I use Holdfast straps so I am only holding the weight for brief periods while shooting.

I know there are better ways to hold the monopod I need to work on improving my technique. I do very well if I can sit on a log or bench and steady the monopod against my frame.
I'm with you on this. Have now held the kit for a total of maybe 10 minutes, but unsteady it most certainly feels. I was taking shots of stuff across the room (stationary items, of course) and getting sharp images at 1/40. Need to practice the techniques Steve outlines in his video -- angle of the monopod and pressing camera against forehead, etc. For the moment all I'm really worried about at all is not dropping everything! :) Oh, and I suspect things will feel steadier when the foot of the monopod is not planted on a hardwood floor! :)

I didn't like the way the camera and lens sits off to the side with that head, so I use a Kirk Monopod head and a Wimberly Sidekick. It keeps the balance right over the center of the monopod and folds up nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_8755 Large.jpeg
    IMG_8755 Large.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8756 Large.jpeg
    IMG_8756 Large.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 11
Same experience I had and ended up with the RRS version which is built like a tank and far more easier for me to mount the lens on due to the condition of my arms.View attachment 96288View attachment 96289
That is similar to the set up I use. My older head I bought used has a screw clamp. I like the weight directly over the monopod using the RRS MH-02.....not off to the side.

I have the less expensive version -- the only one available when I got it. I believe the difference between the two heads is that the more expensive one allows you to adjust the orientation of the clamp without needing a wrench. You might do this if you switched from a lens with a collar to one with no collar where you need to attach the camera to the head not the lens.

You can also switch the orientation of the clamp on the less expensive version, but to do so, you need a wrench. There may also be fewer available orientations with the clamp.

I have only used the head with lenses that have a collar. So I have not ever changed the clamp orientation. Both versions tilt similarly as far as I can tell.

Dang, been so long since I did my 'research' on this purchase; pretty sure I didn't know RRS had one. I will avoid checking it out, unless I find the Wimberley unsuitable :) Thanks!
Just keep in mind that RRS one he showed is not the same thing as the MH100. The RRS one is a more typical monopod head that only tilts forward and back, it doesn't mimic a gimbal like the MH100 does. I have the RRS monopod head but had too many instances of me not tightening it enough and it slamming forward. With the MH100 you can set a tension and have it balance and be free moving just like a gimbal. With the RRS type you either have it loose and keep your hand on the camera/lens to not let it droop or you have it tight and have to loosen the knob before tilting it. I haven't used it in a long time.

I didn't like the way the camera and lens sits off to the side with that head, so I use a Kirk Monopod head and a Wimberly Sidekick. It keeps the balance right over the center of the monopod and folds up nicely.
I continue to play with mine (yet to use it in the field) but I have no sense of the weight being off centre, at all, fwiw. Thanks.

Just keep in mind that RRS one he showed is not the same thing as the MH100. The RRS one is a more typical monopod head that only tilts forward and back, it doesn't mimic a gimbal like the MH100 does. I have the RRS monopod head but had too many instances of me not tightening it enough and it slamming forward. With the MH100 you can set a tension and have it balance and be free moving just like a gimbal. With the RRS type you either have it loose and keep your hand on the camera/lens to not let it droop or you have it tight and have to loosen the knob before tilting it. I haven't used it in a long time.
Forgive if this is a stupid question, but with the 'top of, centred over the monopod' heads are you able to 'balance' the gear as on a gimbal on a tripod; that I'm liking with the monopod side mount head -- can let go of the camera and it stays where I left it; and I treat the camera/lens re moving it as I do in a regular gimbal.

Forgive if this is a stupid question, but with the 'top of, centred over the monopod' heads are you able to 'balance' the gear as on a gimbal on a tripod; that I'm liking with the monopod side mount head -- can let go of the camera and it stays where I left it; and I treat the camera/lens re moving it as I do in a regular gimbal.
Perhaps....but unlike a gimbal on a tripod, you can never let go of a monopod! LOL!

Back