Finally a monopod.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Personally I would agree that it’s awkward weight-wise but it depends where and when. I got my wimberley monogimbel for use on an expedition ship in Antarctica back in 2020. Using the big Nikon f mount 200-500 required some support. Out on deck this combo, the monopod etc was absolutely superb! Truly. Other photographers came to check it out, as I was shooting albatross, other fast birds, and swinging down for seals, penguins and orca…amazing. The others seemed to be fighting their gear….me, loving it! Now sitting in my garden waving for birds, it’s not ideal with the inherent imbalance. But as I said, it does depend on use case.
And I just didn't experience the 'imbalance' at all functionally. Sure if I was to let go of everything I'd predict it'll fall to the side the camera and lens are on, but holding just the camera grip most of the time I had no sense of I was holding it against a pull to the weighted side -- I'm thinking (a dangerous thing for me to do, I know) there's some load bearing engineering physics going to some degree.

Update on the monopod and the wimberly mono gimbal -- I hiked for just over 10 km carrying the camera/lens on the monopod slung over my shoulder, yesterday. Only continuous hike with it was the 'walk out' of about 3km total; lots of stopping to shoot and moving on movement for the rest of the morning. I found it almost invisible over my shoulder, I had an empty pack on which added to gear being perched on my upper back weight distribution benefit -- at no point did I even consider the monopod itself digging into my shoulder, or even 'feel' the weight there. Also did some through brush and up and down big rocks and steep marsh and lake banks with the camera over my shoulder -- one hand for balance worked for me if needed, otherwise the second hand was holding the lens hood to keep the gear firmly on my shoulders. Ultimately if I was travelling very far I'd resort to re (back)packing the gear or throw it into my Cotton Carrier, but on the distances travelled yesterday it was a very 'easy' mode of transport -- didn't dream of having a small pocket camera once :)

As I mentioned in a replay, above, when shooting with this combo I simply did not notice (consciously thought about it more than once, as it was mentioned in this conversation by a few) any undue pull due to the weight mounted on one side; happily held the rig by the camera grip (with the other hand on top of the lens for the stability thing).

Only minor con is mounting and dismounting the gear from the monopod is not a tripod simple manouver, but if you're fine with putting the camera on the ground, it's a simple enough task, just one I made sure I concentrated on -- did not attempt to do so while 'holding' camera and monopod. I did remove and remount on the monopod a couple of times as I was convinced, as I got used to the feel of shooting with the monopod, that I could handhold more easily. Not the case and certainly holding and waiting for something to happen I was reminded was a frustrating and exhausting short term thing :)

QUESTION: what 'foot' do people use on their monopods. Mine currently is what I'd call the indoor floor foot that allows leaning around the 360 degrees of the foot. Not sure I liked that movement. Not sure it matters. Likely switch it out for a rock/ice claw thingy foot. Mine was buried in marsh and lake mud for long periods yesterday so something more fitting than what it ships with is in order; can't remember what's on my tripod -- just now I swamped out the 'came with' feet as I lost two of them in the bush in the first couple of months :)

Cheers!

I have never seen a foot for a monopod that looked stable enough for me to even consider it. Maybe one is out there - somewhere...... but with a 7+ lb lens and 3 lb camera on a monopod.....I wouldn't use a foot.

I have never seen a foot for a monopod that looked stable enough for me to even consider it. Maybe one is out there - somewhere...... but with a 7+ lb lens and 3 lb camera on a monopod.....I wouldn't use a foot.
By 'foot' I just meant the thing on the bottom of the monopod. Mine currently has what's in the first pic. Should likely switch out to one oft he other options (second pic is what's on my TRIpod at the moment, but have also used what's in the third photo in the winter; there's also a sharp version for rocky terrain.
foot.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
foot 2.jpg
foot 3.jpg

By 'foot' I just meant the thing on the bottom of the monopod. Mine currently has what's in the first pic. Should likely switch out to one oft he other options (second pic is what's on my TRIpod at the moment, but have also used what's in the third photo in the winter; there's also a sharp version for rocky terrain. View attachment 96520View attachment 96527View attachment 96528
I have the top foot and love the design. Makes the monopod very maneuverable if needing to lean or pivot. I have tried spikes and do not like them whatsoever.

I have the top foot and love the design. Makes the monopod very maneuverable if needing to lean or pivot. I have tried spikes and do not like them whatsoever.
Thanks for that input. I was trying to 'lean' the tripod and suspected the manoeuvrability of that foot was making that best possible; but at the same time I was wondering if it was making it less stable or firmly plantable into the ground.

Thanks for that input. I was trying to 'lean' the tripod and suspected the manoeuvrability of that foot was making that best possible; but at the same time I was wondering if it was making it less stable or firmly plantable into the ground.
I’ve used mine on rocks, snow, mud and just about any imaginable incline and really like that foot on all of them.

Back