First “freeze” with a Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I had a lockup problem with my Z8. Had to do a full reset. Unfortunately had not saved my settings so buggerd about for 30 minutes trying to get them back. Sent the camera to Nikon who couldn’t find anything wrong. At the end of the day it is a computer and may need rebooting!

Exactly. These devices are now enormously complex. Frankly, I am amazed that Nikon and others get such reliability out of their systems. It is quite possible for a cosmic ray to disrupt the electronics. A bit gets flipped somewhere, and the program goes off into the weeds. So long as the problem is fixed by removing the battery, I wouldn't worry about it unless the a problem happens frequently. That points to something definitely wrong rather than just a random bit of noise.

I have had two problems with my Z8 in 6 months. The first was a Delkin card that suddenly stopped working in the camera, although it would work everywhere else. I finally did a full-format on my PC and haven't had a problem since. The other was a lockup that wouldn't clear with the power button. I think I caused it by not following the instructions that say to turn off the camera when changing lenses. After all, I got away with it for years with every camera before the Z8. I dropped the battery out and reattached the lens and haven't had a problem since.

Never happened on my Z8, but it is a bit alarming that it has happened to more than one person here. (Especially given the two recalls they had to do with the first batches). I live in Tucson so I definitely shoot in the heat. However, I do not do high frame burst or video, so maybe that is a factor?
I was only using single shot, documenting the VIVID night light show preview before opening night, i was taking documentary record shots in JPEG Fine, the images where to be used purely for web site purposes for a client, so colour and vibe was the brief, i walked around taking hand held single shots of brightly lit subjects, a easy simple enjoyable shoot.

I did get through the evening shoot, temperature was around 12 degrees C, 8pm ish, the Z8 freeze and switching off completely and becoming unresponsive happened several times unpredictably a little bit over half way through the shoot about 20 minutes apart, since new 4 weeks ago the camera had taken only around 500 shots.

I mean i used my Z9 for over two years and it was in the early stage a ***** for a long time till it got progressively really ugly and ruined an expensive international intentional photographic trip for two, it settled after some stays in the Nikon Hospital and all the updates, i only recently sold it to swap it out for a Z8 as i don't do video or need the size and weight for hiking or traveling.

NOW i must have stood on a crack in the pavement, the Z8 is starting to do exactly the same things the Z9 did in the beginning, sadly for the Z9 things got progressively and seriously worse something i am now starting to wonder given the Z9 Z8 D and A will my Z8 progress to worse. I now AGAIN have serious trust issues as i still carry the scars of the costly Z9 issues of the past.

Side note: the Z8 battery in cool weather like 12 degrees C really ran down fast, noticeably so about 50% in one and a half hours of single frame shots taken, i need to buy more batteries, i knew they didn't last long but this was very much faster than expected.

PS, i have clearly ruled out any user cause, this was validated clearly in every way by Nikon with the Z9 experience, i have not done anything with the Z8 settings or programs other than turn it on and used it like a normal point and shoot camera so to speak in what is considered to be a very basic shoot application.

The card is a single Pro Grade Cobalt 320 gig card.

After the second Z8 freeze issue I recall wanting to look at some frames taken to make certain they haven't been lost, the button wouldn't respond or pull up the files.

The issue was also the same with the Z9.

I am paying top $ for a perceived to be a high end product, i am not the extension of QC operations in the field, or design fixes in the field. I don't care if the statistics say most units are fine, to me its the consequences of trust and any effected photographic outcomes that concern me.

Design or QC issues, at this level and price its unacceptable.

Luckily Nikon stand up and own things and do what they can to fix things, ( a saving grace) do i want these issues out of warranty ?, should i have to even tolerate theses issues, maybe i would if i knew things would be reliable after being fixed, sadly they seem to be reoccurring and in cases gathering the perception of being or becoming systemic to a degree.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
I had a Z7II that would lock up on me at the worst possible moments, wedding event. I sent the camera back to Nikon three times. They even asked me to send in my memory cards which I did. They didn't find anything wrong with the cards. Since they forgot to ask me to send the batteries and it was my third time sending it back they gave me a new body. They couldn't be 100% but they were 99% sure it was one of my batteries causing the issue. They suggested I discard the batteries and buy new. I did just that. I bought brand new Nikon batteries for the new Z7II body they sent me and haven't had a problem since. When I got the Z8 I bought an extra battery for it, a brand new Nikon battery. I've done a pet photo shoot, wildlife, photoshoot at the shelter and the northern lights (which were visible at my latitude) and I haven't had that problem. For now I'm inclined to agree about it being the batteries. As a side note, Steve is correct about memory cards when there is a problem with formatting them in camera. It's best to throw away the card and buy new. Not all batteries and cards are perfect even the battery that came in the box with the camera body. I now label my batteries so that if one is potentially causing a problem I know exactly which one it is. Yes, I change batteries during a shoot, I toss them in the bag etc. etc. with all the other batteries. I'm better organized now.
Never had the battery or camera issues with the DSLRS, i can see the logic in the battery's possibly being a cause in the Z 8 Z9.

I understand the Nikon battery cores are made in Japan, the cases are made in China and both are assembled in China.

I feel as a wild card that if the core of the battery materiel used has a blend of recycled materiel content it may be the cause for variable outcomes.

Some batteries may get hot while charging others do not, that's been my experience.

If the core material made by Nikon is pure and made from 100% virgin material it may work more reliably, as apposed to a battery that may have 30 to 40% say possible being a cocktail of different recyclable core battery material that may well have mild imperfections in the material or effects form blending materials, that may well cause vulnerabilities in the field or length of holding charge.

Sometimes for critical application components it cant all be around cost cutting or profits.

The suggestion of marking the battery used at the time of issue is a good idea.

Throwing out a $600 AUD CF Cobolt Type B express card each time you get a new camera is simply not an option.

I spoke with Pro Grade asking why the premium price of the silver 325 G Cobalt card, the answer, this card has significantly more formatting tolerance compared to that of the lower priced pro grade gold yet faster cards out today, simply put you can reformat the Silver Cobalt cards more than 10 times more often than any other Pro grade card with out effect.
Ok that eases the pain LOL.

I bought my 325 G Cobalt cards before the Z9 was even delivered on release, at the time $1250 AUD for twin cards matched pair, they more than handle 20 fps.

I will go and mark the battery in the Z8 used recently, but the Z8 is going into Nikon this week.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Back