First[and probably, last] mirrorless camera.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I just purchased a Nikon Z6lll, which will be used exclusively for wildlife photography. After years with film and digital cameras, I decided to bite the bullet and try mirrorless. My question is this. Do you guys actually read the Operator Manual in detail before attempting to photograph? I'm relying, at present, on instructions from Steve in each of his publications including the Wildlife Setup Guide. I'm sure that there will be times when I need to REFER to the Operators Manual without reading, in detail, the 76 pages available on the internet:mad:. My reluctance to hop on the mirrorless train is the teaching this old dog, and I mean OLD, all of this new stuff.
You're going to love that camera. Yes, the cameras are so similar, one can easily go from a DSLR to mirrorless, but definitely read the manual (and Steve's book) as well to discover wonderful new features in the new weapon. Looking forward to seeing your pics

Woody-
Correct. I watched a video on the Canon R5ii. The evaluator, Jan Wegener, figured out that always shooting in pre-capture was indicated because of the buffer size, CRAW and that pre=capture is in RAW. This is something that OM-1 shooters learned when the mk 2 version came out with a much larger buffer. For the Z6iii, Steve demonstrated that the camera has a basically unlimited buffer so you can essentially accomplish what pre-capture does by simply holding the shutter down when you think the bird may take off.

You need to spend time with a camera to understand these non-standard shooting styles and a camera evaluation that is very short on the camera manual won't get it.

Back