First photos Z9 + Z 400 f4.5 VR S

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

A wonderful collection again Lance.
Don't surrender that 2.8!

I'm passing on the f/4.5, as good as it appears to be and still sweating on my Z400 TC S to arrive as I have sold my 400FL recently.
Thank you very much, Marc. Much appreciated!

I really don't want to sell that glorious 400 f2.8E FL VR as it is a stupidly fantastic lens - I really must get out and use it more. :giggle: The 400 f4.5 is tempting but it is an extravagance that I don't need and would only get if I was silly enough to sell my 400 f2.8. The 100-400 is excellent anyway and is a handy zoom range.

Good luck with getting your 400 f2.8 + TC, it really looks the goods but I can't justify it at the moment due to the huge cost here in Australia as you would know. Looking forward to seeing your 400 f2.8 + TC shots on your stunning galleries. Cheers.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share some photos, Lance, and especially your impressions.

Do you have access to a 2x to shoot with the 400/4.5? I’m happy with my 500PF as well, but I’m intrigued by the 400/4.5 paired with both TCs. I’d expect the 500PF+1.4x to be better, but the Z 2x has a pretty good reputation, and I like the new Z lens control rings quite a bit.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share some photos, Lance, and especially your impressions.

Do you have access to a 2x to shoot with the 400/4.5? I’m happy with my 500PF as well, but I’m intrigued by the 400/4.5 paired with both TCs. I’d expect the 500PF+1.4x to be better, but the Z 2x has a pretty good reputation, and I like the new Z lens control rings quite a bit.
I do have the 2x TC and I will try to get some shots with it at some stage to see how it fares, although I can't promise anything as I have to give the lens back later in the week and there is inclement weather over the next few days right up until I have to give it back. :mad:

Got mine today as well. I just ordered 3rd July through Nikon webshop so it looks availability/pre-order list ist not as long as with 800PF or 400TC.
The 400mm 4.5 replaces my 500PF which I sold after having used it for 3years at a still good price about a week ago- used marked is not overloaded with 500PFs (yet?).
The markup for the 400mm 4.5 was just a few hundred Euros though...
Main motivation to get rid of the 500mm PF was the move to native Z lens, more light gathering/bokeh capabilities and the thought the 400mm focal length suits also better sport/soccer shooting which I also do. My "serious" wildlife lens still is the 600mm FL.
So the 400mm will be my walkaround or "bikearound" lens and I have the TC 1.4 to go with it, too.

Just a very short outing today as I couldn't get home earlier from work.
First impression is very positive - handling is much more comfortable on a Z9 vs the 500mm PF as the combo is shorter (w/o FTZ) and more importantly the center of gravity of the 400mm is much closer to the back/camera - it just feels like the Z9 and 400mm were made for each other :) .
The combo fits nicely on the passenger seat of my car as well as well - which might come handy for drive-by's.

AF/VR is completely silent which is also an improvement over the 500mm PF, and makes the z9/400 combo literally "noiseless" if you wish. From the short trial today I find the AF speed might be a tiny bit quicker/snappier as well and more conistent - which might also be down to FW2.1, however. Need to test this more but I'm happy with with the lens performance and think it will suit my needs.

Bokeh looks to be nice and smooth - also there I need more test also in more difficult / frontal light - I'd assume it performs stronger and keeps more contrast due to the lack of PF elements.

What I don't like is the lens foot - not that I'd see the need for a monopod or even tripod - but I like to use the foot as "handle" to carry the set.The Nikon one is too short and I'll replace it with Wimberley AP-501 which I ordered as well already.
It would also have been fantatstic if Nikon would have added a internal 1.4 TC into this lens as well - would have paid 1k EUR more for sure for this feature.
But this probably would have meant too much internal competition for the Z400TC 2.8 and upcoming Z600mm .
Nikon did such "error" once with the D700 / D3, right :)

I hope I find some time on the weekend to test the lens more thoroughly and also with the TC1.4
Some sample pics from this evening + 100% crops.

Z09_7370.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z09_7370-2.jpg
Z09_7360.jpg
Z09_7360-2.jpg
IMG_20220720_202227.jpg

Last edited:
Got mine today as well. I just ordered 3rd July through Nikon webshop so it looks availability/pre-order list ist not as long as with 800PF or 400TC.
The 400mm 4.5 replaces my 500PF which I sold after having used it for 3years at a still good price about a week ago- used marked is not overloaded with 500PFs (yet?).
The markup for the 400mm 4.5 was just a few hundred Euros though...
Main motivation to get rid of the 500mm PF was the move to native Z lens, more light gathering/bokeh capabilities and the thought the 400mm focal length suits also better sport/soccer shooting which I also do. My "serious" wildlife lens still is the 600mm FL.
So the 400mm will be my walkaround or "bikearound" lens and I have the TC 1.4 to go with it, too.

Just a very short outing today as I couldn't get home earlier from work.
First impression is very positive - handling is much more comfortable on a Z9 vs the 500mm PF as the combo is shorter (w/o FTZ) and more importantly the center of gravity of the 400mm is much closer to the back/camera - it just feels like the Z9 and 400mm were made for each other :) .
The combo fits nicely on the passenger seat of my car as well as well - which might come handy for drive-by's.

AF/VR is completely silent which is also an improvement over the 500mm PF, and makes the z9/400 combo literally "noiseless" if you wish. From the short trial today I find the AF speed might be a tiny bit quicker/snappier as well and more conistent - which might also be down to FW2.1, however. Need to test this more but I'm happy with with the lens performance and think it will suit my needs.

Bokeh looks to be nice and smooth - also there I need more test also in more difficult / frontal light - I'd assume it performs stronger and keeps more contrast due to the lack of PF elements.

What I don't like is the lens foot - not that I'd see the need for a monopod or even tripod - but I like to use the foot as "handle" to carry the set.The Nikon one is too short and I'll replace it with Wimberley AP-501 which I ordered as well already.
It would also have been fantatstic if Nikon would have added a internal 1.4 TC into this lens as well - would have paid 1k EUR more for sure for this feature.
But this probably would have meant too much internal competition for the Z400TC 2.8 and upcoming Z600mm .
Nikon did such "error" once with the D700 / D3, right :)

I hope I find some time on the weekend to test the lens more thoroughly and also with the TC1.4
Some sample pics from this evening + 100% crops.

View attachment 43157View attachment 43159View attachment 43160View attachment 43161View attachment 43162
Way cool shots

My wife's Z 400mm f/4.5 arrived this afternoon. I cleaned the contacts on her Z50 and her new lens and set up her control ring for EV and she took a short walk. Way over 90 degrees here and no birds in sight so she said she just shot random objects and came home to cool off. She said she loves it. She had tried my 500pf before I sold it and thought it was to heavy and she had problems getting the lens hood on and off. No such problems with this one :) Happy wife happy life :cool:

I took my Hejnar foot off my Z100-400 and put it on her new Z400 f/4.5 she likes it much better than the stock. Z100-400, Z 70-200 and the Z 400 f/4.5 all use the same foot !

I do have the 2x TC and I will try to get some shots with it at some stage to see how it fares, although I can't promise anything as I have to give the lens back later in the week and there is inclement weather over the next few days right up until I have to give it back. :mad:
Oh, the nerve...!!!

Nice images! I realize this might be used exclusively handheld by most, but for those that are interested, the Kirk LP-70 replacement lens foot listed for the Z 100-400 works perfectly on this 400, which isn’t listed yet on the Kirk website.

My copy was delivered last Monday. I didn't have much time to test it much. Today a kind wood pigeon perched on a pine branch 10 meters from my patio do do some preening and I had a chance to test 400 f/4.5 naked and with both converters. It took me no more than 5 minutes, so all the pictures were taken in very similar light. I shot all the pictures full open. First picture in each focal length has been lightly edited in Lightroom: some cropping, DeNoise Ai, some WB correction. Standard LC sharpening at 25 before DeNoise. The 100% crops prepared in Photoshop (826x550p) from unedited raw files. Third picture in each set is 100% crop jpg denoised in Topaz Denoise Ai at standard setting.
Ps I don't know why my last picture: 100% crop 400mm + 2x, cleaned in DeNoise - couldn't be added. Is there a limit of number of pictures per post?
400-f4.5.jpg
100%.jpg
100%-kopia-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
400X1.4-f6.3.jpg
1.4x-100%.jpg
1.4x-100%-kopia-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
400X2-f9.jpg
2x-100.jpg

Last edited:
I tested the 400 f4.5 + 2x TC on a couple of birds out my front window. So, I am shooting Z9 + 800mm f9 in lowish light due to rain and overcast conditions and thus relatively highish ISO. I used as low a shutter speed as I could to try to keep ISO's as low as I dared to go with a subject that may possible move and at this long focal length, any movement of subject is *noticeable*.

The 2x TC does take the edge off sharpness but it is still very useable. These birds are at about 6-8 mts from the camera so, no cropping required. 800mm for these photos is too close as I could not get the whole bird in the frame with a little room around it for "breathig space" and "correct" composition. Ideally, I would say that for a standard sized bird like these and a pigeon, you would need to be about 10-12 mts away to get a correct frame filling photo with a little room around it. For a larger chicken sized bird maybe 15-20mts away. I have not had the opportunity to shoot at longer distances with the 2x TC yet.

In this situation, I would shoot the lens bare and crop if required (see last photo). However, if I was at say 10-20mts away, I would use the 1.4x TC and crop if required. If I were at say 20-30mts away I would possibly use the 2x TC and crop if required or possible. Using a TC is never cut and dry as it depends on distance and ISO used etc and thus you need to weigh up the situation as to whether use a lens bare, with a 1.4x TC, or 2x TC, try to get closer or walk away from the shot.

Most of the seasoned long lens users here will already be well aware of all this but, for those that are considering this set up, 800mm is quite long and excellent long lens craft is required. 800mm and f9 wide open is no point and shoot option as it requires a steady hand, low shutter speeds to keep ISO down and a target that stays still. Any movement of camera, lens or more importantly, subject matter, is magnified even if you have VR and IBIS available. Due to the low shutter speeds involved here, I took many photos to get some decently sharp shots mostly due to subject movement.

No noise reduction is applied, but my usual post processing via Capture One Pro, adding a little saturation, and where required, maybe highlight/shadow, WB and levels. Open in Photoshop reduce for web size and sharpen a little.

Z9 + 400 f4.5 + 2x TC, 1/160s f/9.0 at 800.0mm iso1400

original.jpg

Z9 + 400 f4.5 + 2x TC, 1/160s f/9.0 at 800.0mm iso1800

original.jpg

Just to give context, this shot was taken the day before with the lens bare at about a 1/2 a meter longer distance than the last photo above.

Z9 + 400 f4.5 bare, 1/250s f/4.5 at 400.0mm iso1000 as seen in the post above

original.jpg

I tested the 400 f4.5 + 2x TC on a couple of birds out my front window. So, I am shooting Z9 + 800mm f9 in lowish light due to rain and overcast conditions and thus relatively highish ISO. I used as low a shutter speed as I could to try to keep ISO's as low as I dared to go with a subject that may possible move and at this long focal length, any movement of subject is *noticeable*.

The 2x TC does take the edge off sharpness but it is still very useable. These birds are at about 6-8 mts from the camera so, no cropping required. 800mm for these photos is too close as I could not get the whole bird in the frame with a little room around it for "breathig space" and "correct" composition. Ideally, I would say that for a standard sized bird like these and a pigeon, you would need to be about 10-12 mts away to get a correct frame filling photo with a little room around it. For a larger chicken sized bird maybe 15-20mts away. I have not had the opportunity to shoot at longer distances with the 2x TC yet.

In this situation, I would shoot the lens bare and crop if required (see last photo). However, if I was at say 10-20mts away, I would use the 1.4x TC and crop if required. If I were at say 20-30mts away I would possibly use the 2x TC and crop if required or possible. Using a TC is never cut and dry as it depends on distance and ISO used etc and thus you need to weigh up the situation as to whether use a lens bare, with a 1.4x TC, or 2x TC, try to get closer or walk away from the shot.

Most of the seasoned long lens users here will already be well aware of all this but, for those that are considering this set up, 800mm is quite long and excellent long lens craft is required. 800mm and f9 wide open is no point and shoot option as it requires a steady hand, low shutter speeds to keep ISO down and a target that stays still. Any movement of camera, lens or more importantly, subject matter, is magnified even if you have VR and IBIS available. Due to the low shutter speeds involved here, I took many photos to get some decently sharp shots mostly due to subject movement.

No noise reduction is applied, but my usual post processing via Capture One Pro, adding a little saturation, and where required, maybe highlight/shadow, WB and levels. Open in Photoshop reduce for web size and sharpen a little.

Z9 + 400 f4.5 + 2x TC, 1/160s f/9.0 at 800.0mm iso1400

original.jpg

Z9 + 400 f4.5 + 2x TC, 1/160s f/9.0 at 800.0mm iso1800

original.jpg

Just to give context, this shot was taken the day before with the lens bare at about a 1/2 a meter longer distance than the last photo above.

Z9 + 400 f4.5 bare, 1/250s f/4.5 at 400.0mm iso1000 as seen in the post above

original.jpg
'The 2x TC does take the edge off sharpness but it is still very useable.' - Exactly!

Back