First Z6II Impressions - AF Speed Test - A Update 11-29-2020

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If you get the battery grip, which I now have, be careful with the battery door. Rather flimsy. It came off the grip when I had it open and was a bugger to get back on. I couldn't tell if something had broke or if it just snapped out of the hinge and I didn't want to break anything while trying to get it back together, which in the end I did. :D

Steve, you said the FTZ adapter needs an update. Is that just for the 6ii or for both the cameras? I’m wondering if the update is okay for both versions of the camera. I plan to keep my Z7 but get the 6ii so can I use the FTZ adapter on both with the update? Also can you point to where I can find out how to update the adapter? Thanks.

As mentioned above, the update is for the Z6/7ii, although after the update the FTZ will still work on the older cameras. It's done through the firmware update menu of the camera with the FTZ attached - just like any other camera update so it's pretty easy :)

I thought about the Sony A9ll setup before I bought my D6..then the cost of the lens again...and I'm very happy with my 600E, I always did very well will the D5...so even getting bad reviews D6 has to be better...and it is...I shoot Harriers and Owls It grabs them much better flying through the grasses. Just have to find a high res body for sunny days, maybe another D850.

Thanks,
Chuck
I've had a D850 for three years (and its higher res IQ is just fantastic) and though I've deliberated long and hard about adding a Z body (and probably will in the future), I recently finally made the decision to add a D6 to my kit. I also shoot harriers and owls and am frequently grasping for more shutter speed in lower light conditions. Haven't even had the D6 for a week yet but initial impressions are highly favourable. Never had a single digit D series before either. I can say categorically I would not have abandoned my Nikon gear for a Sony A9II, despite its clearly outstanding ability. Following is an early test shot from this past weekend of a harrier with D6, 600mm f4 and 1.4TC, 1/3200, f5.6, ISO 1250. The background is weak but the eyes are tack sharp.
Northern Harrier.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

No real clue on the processor - if I had to guess it's probably done to split up multiple tasks as once - maybe more efficient (or maybe less reprogramming).

I think my biggest complaint right now is the frame rate - I'd like a live feed at something faster than 5.5 FPS.

So, fingers crossed.

The issue that I have is more complex: I shoot with both eyes open with left eye on the evf/ovf, right eye on a moving animal when panning on a Cheetah I end up having nausea. So for anything that moves I dont use the Z7. Just that I am hyper sensitive to motion sickness and if driving I only take a dslr with me.

I just read a more complete review of the Z 6II on DP Review--their review was tepid, at best. They basically said that there's really not much there for a current Z6 owner to trade up to. If you're making the leap to the Z line, it's better than the original, but only incrementally. That pretty much sums up my impressions as well.

The issue that I have is more complex: I shoot with both eyes open with left eye on the evf/ovf, right eye on a moving animal when panning on a Cheetah I end up having nausea. So for anything that moves I dont use the Z7. Just that I am hyper sensitive to motion sickness and if driving I only take a dslr with me.
I've tried it with both eyes open and - so far - it's been OK, no nausea. However, it was limited...

I am curious if the Z7II replaces the D850 if it performs equal to or better than the Z6II?

If like @Steve has say a D6 and a D850 do you need the D850 any longer with the Z7II? Does the Z7II and the D6 make a better combo?

I am curious if the Z7II replaces the D850 if it performs equal to or better than the Z6II?

If like @Steve has say a D6 and a D850 do you need the D850 any longer with the Z7II? Does the Z7II and the D6 make a better combo?
I'm actually thinking my Z7ii will replace most of D850 work. However, that's because I typically shot BIF with the faster cameras like the D6 or a9ii. If I didn't have those cameras, I probably wouldn't (partially) replace my D850 with the Z7ii.

(these statements are made under the assumption that the Z7ii will perform like the Z6ii, which I'm 90% sure is the case)

I'm actually thinking my Z7ii will replace most of D850 work. However, that's because I typically shot BIF with the faster cameras like the D6 or a9ii. If I didn't have those cameras, I probably wouldn't (partially) replace my D850 with the Z7ii.

(these statements are made under the assumption that the Z7ii will perform like the Z6ii, which I'm 90% sure is the case)
Now for a fun hypothetical....What if Nikon comes out with an updated D850 and throws in the D5 or fingers crossed D6 focus capability. What would you do then?

Now for a fun hypothetical....What if Nikon comes out with an updated D850 and throws in the D5 or fingers crossed D6 focus capability. What would you do then?
I fully expect them to, but I'm honesty kind of done with DSLRs. I have a pair of Sonys that can likely do anything the D850 replacement can (although, I can't say for sure yet), and the D6 for faster action when I want to shoot Nikon. I think about the only thing that would get me to buy the D880 (or whatever it's called) would be some kind of hybrid viewfinder setup (that Nikon DOES have a patent for). That might be interesting - mirrorless when you need it, then DSLR when you want those higher-performing cross-type sensors.

To me the thing that will keep more nikon shooters from migrating may be lenses....I'm hoping (pipe dream I know) they come out with a 600pf for z mount. The thing about the pf lenses for wildlife shooters is that they are small and light and really great value. Translate that into z mount and you have a lens that would have no competition from sony or canon..at least for now. Personally I'm hoping there is a d850 replacement with better performance, but that's only because I have a lot of f mount glass and nobody has a full suite of lenses for mirrorless yet...and they are crazy expensive right now anyway.

I fully expect them to, but I'm honesty kind of done with DSLRs.

May I ask what are the key drivers for you? 100% AF coverage? AF accuracy? WYSIWYG? 30fps? Weight? Just curious, you probably shoot in one day what I shoot in 6 months so curious about what are those elements that won you over.

May I ask what are the key drivers for you? 100% AF coverage? AF accuracy? WYSIWYG? 30fps? Weight? Just curious, you probably shoot in one day what I shoot in 6 months so curious about what are those elements that won you over.

Pretty much all of the above. 100% AF coverage is a big one for sure. However, with cameras like the a9ii, I also have up to 20 FPS blackout free as I shoot action - that's a game changer. It's also lighter and smaller with the same performance of a D6 (in some cases, better performance, depending on the metric) making it MUCH easier to toss a pair of mirrorless bodies into the bag for a trip than a D6 and gripped D850. For many of the places I go, it's a constant struggle to get all my gear on the little single engine planes. Smaller, lighter gear makes it so much easier.

I have a post where I go over some additional thoughts:

Bottom line though, after shooting mirrorless and going back to a DSLR, I feel more limited in what I can do (this happens more with the Sonys than the Zs at this point).

Technically yes, this is true. However the extended high shooting mode that gets you to the higher FPS is pretty much unusable for fast moving subjects due to the slideshow effect. This pretty much makes the max usable fps of the Z6 II 5.5 fps. We really don't need higher FPS, we need what is being displayed on the EVF to be displayed faster than it is currently capable of.

Keep in mind, Nikon's big dog DSLRs AF as fast as the do in part due to dedicated AF modules/processors. I had big hopes that this was to be in part why the second cpu was added to the second gen Z series but this doesn't seem to be the case thus far. I made the gamble of selling my D500 to fund a Z6/7 II after hearing of the dual CPUs but that gamble backfired it seems. Not a massive problem though as I'll be able to pick up a used D500 for what I sold mine for and I still have my D850 which is 9/10 of what my D500 was in regards to it's AF.

I don't agree that the limit on fps is 5.5 fps. I hosted a webinar last night with Nikon Canada Ambassador Michelle Valberg. She's using the Z6ii at a full 14 fps when the situation calls for it, and 10 fps when shooting 14 bit NEF's using High Extended mode. It's rare - almost never - that she drops back to 5.5 fps. Silent mode is a game changer photographing wildlife because the subject does not hear the shutter. Michelle is selling her D850 in favor of a Z7ii and Z6ii combination - both upgrading from the Z6/7.

It's a matter of learning to use the camera and taking advantage of what it does - and learning new skills if that's what it takes.

I don't agree that the limit on fps is 5.5 fps. I hosted a webinar last night with Nikon Canada Ambassador Michelle Valberg. She's using the Z6ii at a full 14 fps when the situation calls for it, and 10 fps when shooting 14 bit NEF's using High Extended mode. It's rare - almost never - that she drops back to 5.5 fps. Silent mode is a game changer photographing wildlife because the subject does not hear the shutter. Michelle is selling her D850 in favor of a Z7ii and Z6ii combination - both upgrading from the Z6/7.

It's a matter of learning to use the camera and taking advantage of what it does - and learning new skills if that's what it takes.

I haven't watched Michelle Valberg's recent video promoting the ZII cameras but I did watch her original Z series promo and interview when the original Z cameras came out. She repeated a lot of what Nikon marketing had to say in those interviews and promos and that was about it. I do respect her as a photographer but from what she showed in those first videos her style isn't exactly fast action which is what my comment was geared towards. Photographing a heron fishing is fine at 14FPS on a Z camera because the blackout/slideshow effect isn't an issue as there's no need for one to visually track the subject. It's also not a huge issue if you're only looking for 2-3 shots however once you need to follow a fast moving subject and you want a longer burst of images the slideshow effect comes in to play and one is constantly falling behind the subject until it falls out of the frame. In summary, the issue as I see it isn't so much what the Z cameras can do as far as FPS goes, the issue is the viewfinder blackout above 5.5FPS and trying to track fast moving subjects while watching a slideshow but if you're not tracking.

I am however willing to have my mind changed but everything I have seen thus far with people using the camera supports this argument. Is the Michelle Valberg video online or is this the video that was done by Nikonians and was viewable by subscription only?

I am however willing to have my mind changed but everything I have seen thus far with people using the camera supports this argument. Is the Michelle Valberg video online or is this the video that was done by Nikonians and was viewable by subscription only?

The webinar I am referring to was a through Nikonians for members only. She was part of the initial launch, but for this program she had time to use her Z6ii. The program included tracked subjects in flight as well as subjects that were easy to follow or not flying. Michelle is a wildlife photographer but not just a bird photographer. She's photographing loons, geese, moose, small mammals, and similar subjects - as well as small birds.

The thing about blackout or lag is that it does not apply to all situations. There are plenty of situations where frame rate is very important. It is possible to follow a subject in flight using High Extended - it's just a different technique. We also need to consider that mechanical shutter is no longer silent - and that can be problematic.

I tend to take the view that for wildlife, Silent Shutter with High Extended is my mode of choice, and if there is a problem with a specific subject, I would consider dropping back to Mechanical Shutter and a slower frame rate. Some subjects are tolerant of the sound of the shutter, but many more are spooked by it. I'll stick with the fast frame rate provided by silent shutter for wading birds, shorebirds, and similar subjects that I can follow and track.

Hello,

First post on this forum, but following Steves's channel for a while.

I do mostly Sports (Rugby) and wildlife photography (75%), the rest being street, travel, etc...

The D500 has been my workhorse for the last 3 years, together with a D750.
A year ago I traded the D750 for a Z6... the Z6 provided superb images, even at high isos.

But... for sports it didn't do it. Neither for BIF.
Too slow to wake up, too slow to acquire the target... despite having read Steve's precious book on how to setup the Z.

So when the Z6ii came out, I sold the Z6, hoping this new gear would be up to it.. but it seems it's not the case.
I really like the handling of these Z cameras but if they can't do what I expect, what's the point?

So now I'm really hesitating between this Z6ii and a new D850 that I can get for almost the same price.
Taking into account that this camera would be my "do it all" gear, paired with the D500 for sports and wildlife.

JL

Here's the thing. We've written about this in this forum before:
The Z6 or Z7 cameras should not be seen as a replacement for a D850 or D500. Both those cameras are more capable at tracking fast-moving subjects at high frame rates than the Z cameras. I had the Z6 until recently and a month ago replaced it with a Z6ii. I do believe the Z6ii is more or less equivalent to my previous D7500 in performance when it comes to tracking moving subjects, while significantly better than the D7500 in some other respects. The Z6ii should therefore also be roughly equivalent to the D750 in most respects.

I think many folks want to jump to mirrorless from the high performance D5/D500/D850 cameras, but right now there is no appropriate Nikon mirrorless camera that can realistically replace those DSLR's. I do believe Nikon will get there in the not too distant future with a really capable wildlife/sports mirrorless camera. In theory the dual processor in the Zii cameras provide some extra capability to now improve performance through firmware updates. I'm hoping to see Nikon continually improving the Zii performance with firmware upgrades like they did with the original Z models. I also don't expect Nikon to be able to improve the Zii performance to the point that the cameras equal the D5/D500/D850 series. Some folks in your position don't want to wait and therefore jump to Sony or Canon. If, however, you are willing to wait I would give it another year to see what Nikon comes up with. They have never in the past been unable to develop and continually improve new technologies to the point where they were the market leader.

The webinar I am referring to was a through Nikonians for members only. She was part of the initial launch, but for this program she had time to use her Z6ii. The program included tracked subjects in flight as well as subjects that were easy to follow or not flying. Michelle is a wildlife photographer but not just a bird photographer. She's photographing loons, geese, moose, small mammals, and similar subjects - as well as small birds.

The thing about blackout or lag is that it does not apply to all situations. There are plenty of situations where frame rate is very important. It is possible to follow a subject in flight using High Extended - it's just a different technique. We also need to consider that mechanical shutter is no longer silent - and that can be problematic.

I tend to take the view that for wildlife, Silent Shutter with High Extended is my mode of choice, and if there is a problem with a specific subject, I would consider dropping back to Mechanical Shutter and a slower frame rate. Some subjects are tolerant of the sound of the shutter, but many more are spooked by it. I'll stick with the fast frame rate provided by silent shutter for wading birds, shorebirds, and similar subjects that I can follow and track.

Unfortunately this doesn't change my mind. We're basically saying the same thing however from different perspectives and subjects. You're saying the EVF blackout doesn't matter to all situations and you' are indeed correct in saying that and that is ok for you. I'm saying that the blackout is too much of an issue for the way I shoot and that my D500 and D850 are better options.

My original post stated that the Z cameras can't compete with Nikon's top DSLRs when the action gets fast and erratic and that comment in my opinion (as well as many others who shoot the way I do) still stands.

Another way of putting it is this, if you are in H+ and the subjects you are trying to shoot keep falling out of the frame due to the blackout/slideshow as you are shooting longer bursts then you have to dial down to H which is 5.5FPS and for some shooters that isn't enough for them. This simply can't be argued.

I am A Nikon shooter for years, and have been playing with the Sony A92. I want the Z to be like the Sony. Most likely I will decide which Z I want for landscape and family stuff, plus Steve's AWESOME stacking video make the Z a no brainer for Stacked shots, the Nikon Z 24-200 is AWESOME so I will make a home for either the Z72 or the Z62. for wildlife it is Sony A92 and 200-600, plus the 1.4. I may trade in my Nikon 600 f4 and go all the way with a A7r4 and 600 f4 OSS. For sports it will be Nikon D500 and 200-400 and 0-200 2.8. Until SONY CATCHES UP WITH F4 ZOOM GLASS. By the way the Nikon 500 pf and D500 is incredible and I am blessed with having access to that combo.
Nikon has made some spectacular glass, 80-400. 200-500, 500pf, but the mirrorless camera options aren't as good a SONY, IMHO.
THE DREAM SET UP IS AN A92 AND A 500 PF.

As to the Z6II and Z7II, I now have both. They replaced 2 Z6s and a D500. I still have a D850 and a D500.

Things I like. I like the advantages of mirrorless. Silent shutter and wysiwyg foremost. I like having the histogram in the viewfinder. I like the I screen. Accurate focus with and without TCs. No fine tuning needed! In single point, they perform better and more consistently and accurately than the D500 or D850. No issues with battery life on the II series. Lighter weight. Love the ability to have more pixels with the Z7II .

Things I need improvement on. Tracking! It is more difficult to track moving objects in H+. No question easier with the D850 and D500. No issues tracking in H, ie 5.5 fps.

Low light. Both the Z6II and Z7II do well. Not seeing alot of difference yet, but have only shot the Z7II for 1 shoot, lously light type day, ie snow.

Things I would like Nikon to do. Programmable function buttons that mimic the D850 and D500 first and foremost. Having to depress a fcn button then scroll through multiple options is SLOWER along with not having a quicker way to go from single point to a wide area or D type autofocus. Shutter blackout. Not limiting when object is stationary or very slow moving. But very disconcerting when object is moving across your viewfinder. Ie, I'm missing shots, and in conjunction with H+. I'm missing more shots.

My plan: Use the ZII's for their strengths, mammals, perched and slow moving birds.
The D850 and D500 will get the call for when I'm strictly going after birds. With the Z7II in reserve.

I struggled a lot contemplating between the A9II and a Z7II. In the end I have a lot of Nikon glass and couldn't justify a complete switch. Its 20K for a A9II, 600F4, battery pack and 2 TC's. And to be honest for everything other than bifs with the ZIIs, Nikon exceeds my needs and expectations.

Right now I have everything I need to get good pics if I do my part. Even if that means 4 bodies. Each has its own strength and weakness.

Wont be replacing or switching anything. At least until Nikon comes out with a 600PFs and a Z8 or Z9 that shoots as fast and as accurately as the A9II with 45mps.....

Last edited:
Back