Focal length for Birding? Upgrade from 200-500mm

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

thanks @Andy Work for the tip, the Lens Carrier System is indeed interesting. Similar concept to the Cotton Carrier Harness I currently use.

Thanks @arbitrage for your input. It is crazy how similar you and I go at analyzing the situation and assessing the options. I too believe 200-600 and 800mm are not going to cut it (weight wise). I will also try to avoid using a TC and instead work more on my technique getting closer to my critter without scaring it off. I am however willing to sacrifice on MDF, since I now always carry the Z50 with me, to use for close ups and Landscapes. So MFD is not a deal breaker like weight.
In fact, ff I use the 500 PF with my D850, it gives me flexibility of focal distance through the Crop-factor. I can also use it with all 3 cameras. I think I will wait on the 400 PF *at least the weight and F aspect to be published) and will then chose among the 3: 100-400 S, 400 PF, 500 PF.

Just out of curiosity, anyone out there NOT happy with the 500 PF?

The only person that I know of that wasn't happy with it was Mark Smith (via his videos), he said he had a hard time getting good images but I'm going to say he got a bad copy because I really haven't seen anyone else complain (I thought it was great while I had it).

The only person that I know of that wasn't happy with it was Mark Smith (via his videos), he said he had a hard time getting good images but I'm going to say he got a bad copy because I really haven't seen anyone else complain (I thought it was great while I had it).
Interesting.. I recall him not being happy with the Sigma 500 F4 either.. I didn't know about the PF. I will check it out. Thanks @Palmor.

Thanks @Hut2 for the feedback. This is why a part of me is leaning towards the 100-400 mm.

@bleirer @txstone I agree the difference between 500 and 600 isn't great, but it is enough to make the bird fill a bit more of the frame. I made a test (see photo below) to see the difference between a 200, 300, 400 and 500 mm lens (all using 200-500 mm zoom) with the apple being as big as a small bird, being 5 meters away (20 feet).

View attachment 30082

It's a good idea to have a real world image to help you judge. Just curious, after the test do you feel the small amount of extra reach for the 600 is worth it? Running it through the calculator for the crop sensor at 20 feet the 200 came up with total width of 28.8 inches, the 300 19.2 inches, the 400 14.4 inches, the 500 11.5 inches, and the 600 would be 9.6 inches.

So if the apple was 3 inches across it would fill 10 percent of the frame width with the 200, 15 percent with the 300, 20 percent with the 400, 26% with the 500, and 31% with the 600. In other words with the 600 you could be 4 feet farther away (24 feet) and get the same size as the 500 at 20 feet. So it's not nothing but it's not much cropping to make the 500 and 600 equal either.

Last edited:
It's a good idea to have a real world image to help you judge. Just curious, after the test do you feel the small amount of extra reach for the 600 is worth it? Running it through the calculator for the crop sensor at 20 feet the 200 came up with total width of 28.8 inches, the 300 19.2 inches, the 400 14.4 inches, the 500 11.5 inches, and the 600 would be 9.6 inches.

So if the apple was 3 inches across it would fill 10 percent of the frame width with the 200, 15 percent with the 300, 20 percent with the 400, 26% with the 500, and 31% with the 600. So it's not nothing but it's not much cropping to make the 500 and 600 equal either.

I think if you filled the frame at 600 and had to crop to equal with the 500 it would be no real difference... but if you have to start cropping the 600mm image (like most of us do) it does make a visible difference (at least in my opinion).

Reactions: Hut
I think if you filled the frame at 600 and had to crop to equal with the 500 it would be no real difference... but if you have to start cropping the 600mm image (like most of us do) it does make a visible difference (at least in my opinion).

I'd agree with you, it's about a 5 percent advantage to the 600. Given lens of equal quality and weight and price I'd sure like the 600, but if there were a better, lighter, lower cost 500 I'd think about it.

This recent image shows the size advantage in a real world situation, 600 vs. 500.

Last edited:
I'd agree with you, it's about a 5 percent advantage to the 600. Given lens of equal quality and weight and price I'd sure like the 600, but if there were a better, lighter, lower cost 500 I'd think about it.

I agree, in the Nikon world the 500PF is a no brainer (and I swapped out a 150-600 for it without any reservations). Of course that was easy because the 500PF had much better IQ as well as being smaller/lighter.

My solution FWIW is two cameras, one on a strap and one on the belt. I generally try to shoot sitting down, hand-held, on my walkstool. I tend to sit and wait as opposed to hike and hunt. The d-500/300pf on the belt is a bit over 3.5# while the D-500/500pf on the strap is 5#.
-Tom

This recent image shows the size advantage in a real world situation, 600 vs. 500.

Just keep in mind that the 200-600 @ 600 is more like 560 unless out at infinity. For normal bird shooting distances it is not as magnified as the 600GM. Also fun fact, the Canon 600f/4III has more magnification than the 600GM at normal bird shooting distances...however it is minimal as to not really matter. But the 200-600 @ 560 brings it closer to a 500PF than the spec sheet says.

I was really happy with my original Tamron 150-600mm A011 on my D500. It was lightweight and I basically wore it out. The G2 version has taken that lens and improved it. So that might be an option to look at.

Might be fun and worthwhile to get your hands on one and a 500 PF and see how you like them.

Not sure how well third party lenses work with adapters. 🤷‍♂️
My wife uses Tamrons with the FTZ adapter on her Z50 as her primary lenses an 100-400 for birding and a 18-400 (when she want to go really small light and portable) she thinks my Tamron 150-600 G2 is to big and heavy it replaced my Nikkon 200-500 years ago .... I have not used the 150-600 G2 since I got the 600 f/4E but I sure have a lot of wall hangers take with the Tamron 150-600 G2 including the 8 foot long eagle and fish image "The Great Escape" hanging our State Captiol (I have posted the image here before). So I would second the Tamron as an option. I weight were the issue and you wanted fast focusing etc. The 500 PF on my D850 works great and it did also on the D500 and D6.

Last edited:
I know this may be a provokative question to ask.. that might stir up debates.. but here goes:

I am looking for an upgrade for my 200-500mm. It is sharp and versatile, but not suitable for long hikes (heavy / front end heavy). For mammals (deer, fox, wild bore) I happily use my 300 PF. I need however a longer focal length for birds (tits, jays, herons, etc.) and I dislike using TCs (IQ drops for feather detail).

Lenses I am considering (to use on D7500 or Z50) are:
- 500 mm PF (minimum focus distance is my only concern)
- 100-400 S mm (too short for small birds?)
- 400 mm S PF (F unknown, weight unknown)
- 200-600 mm (weight unknown)
- 800 mm S PF (weight unknown)

I don't mind waiting.. I prefer F 5.6 or brighter and a maximum weight of 1.5 kg / 3.3 pounds. I don't mind using older lenses, if any fits the profile..

Note: where I live, birds are either too close or too far. Too close would be birds that fly momentarily and land on a branch about 3 m / 9 feet away. Too far would be the majority of birds that are "sensitive" / "erratic" and would fly off at the sight of humans. So that's quite a challenge.

Thanks in advance for your advice / suggestions / recommendations.
I will never own another zoom lens over 200MM. I have the 300MM and the 500MM PF's and they stay on my 2 D500,s. When you get good at capturing your subject you will be a happy camper.

Just keep in mind that the 200-600 @ 600 is more like 560 unless out at infinity. For normal bird shooting distances it is not as magnified as the 600GM. Also fun fact, the Canon 600f/4III has more magnification than the 600GM at normal bird shooting distances...however it is minimal as to not really matter. But the 200-600 @ 560 brings it closer to a 500PF than the spec sheet says.
I did not know that. Good to know if one is expecting more reach from the 600.

Last edited:
I just did some test samples from 12 feet inside the house and the apple appears larger on the 500 PF than on the 200-600mm.
Is this a focus breathing issue? I will say the 500PF had to be manually focused for some reason.
Is it worth posting the samples here?
12 feet away 200-600mm @ 600mm
View attachment 30148

12 feet away 500PF
View attachment 30149

According to the spec sheets the 200-600 should have 0.2x MM and the 500PF 0.18x. But some lenses do let you MF to get even closer and then improve the MM. I've never tested them at MFD like this.
The MFD of the 500PF is 9.84' where as the 200-600 is 7.87'. So you will have to get much closer with the 200-600 to get better magnification than the 500PF.
My tests and comments are more around the 25' to 40' distances. When I compared my 400DOII with 1.4TC (560mm) it was pretty much identical to the 200-600 @600. Which is why I think the 200-600 @600 is around 560 at these distances. Also because the 200-600 shows less magnification than the 600GM at those distances. However shooting at infinity the 200-600 and 600GM show the same magnification.

In general the zoom lenses usually suffer more from these focus breathing issues at closer distances than the primes. Sony 100-400 is not really 400 at these close distances, Nikon 200-500 is not really 500. Etc...

Photographing small birds really requires the use of a blind or the 800 mm focal length. Both are somewhat cumbersome to carry around. In places such as central Florida shooting marsh birds, blind visitors such as water moccasins, rattle snakes and gators and generally being up to your rear end in mud and water makes the blind not the best pick for some. An 800mm f5.6 is a bit heavy but it is manageable for most to carry shorter distances by breaking down the lens from the tripod and head and having a bandolier carrying rig. When the 800 PF appears, if it is 2/3 the weight you will still need a gimbal head and tripod if you want greatest acuity and, with mating birds, the courtship shots will involve a hour or more of just standing and watching to get the rarer and interesting activity.

A couple of years being trained by the US Marines that a 20 mile hike with a 100 pound pack on your back is a great way to spend a bitter cold or a hot summer day will make the experience of using 800mm seem reasonable. :unsure:
Ooh-rah!

I know this may be a provokative question to ask.. that might stir up debates.. but here goes:

I am looking for an upgrade for my 200-500mm. It is sharp and versatile, but not suitable for long hikes (heavy / front end heavy). For mammals (deer, fox, wild bore) I happily use my 300 PF. I need however a longer focal length for birds (tits, jays, herons, etc.) and I dislike using TCs (IQ drops for feather detail).

Lenses I am considering (to use on D7500 or Z50) are:
- 500 mm PF (minimum focus distance is my only concern)
- 100-400 S mm (too short for small birds?)
- 400 mm S PF (F unknown, weight unknown)
- 200-600 mm (weight unknown)
- 800 mm S PF (weight unknown)

I don't mind waiting.. I prefer F 5.6 or brighter and a maximum weight of 1.5 kg / 3.3 pounds. I don't mind using older lenses, if any fits the profile..

Note: where I live, birds are either too close or too far. Too close would be birds that fly momentarily and land on a branch about 3 m / 9 feet away. Too far would be the majority of birds that are "sensitive" / "erratic" and would fly off at the sight of humans. So that's quite a challenge.

Thanks in advance for your advice / suggestions / recommendations.
I have the 200-500mm 200-400mm and 600mm G lenses.
Now i'm waiting for the 200-600mm Z lens. It may be lighter than the 200-500mm.
The 100-400mm and 400mm f2.8 Z lenses may not reach far enough for birding.
It looks like there will also be a lighter version of the 400mm Z lens in the near future - not as much reach but should be light.
All lenses are a compromise between weight speed and price.

I was really happy with my original Tamron 150-600mm A011 on my D500. It was lightweight and I basically wore it out. The G2 version has taken that lens and improved it. So that might be an option to look at. Might be fun and worthwhile to get your hands on one and a 500 PF and see how you like them.
Not sure how well third party lenses work with adapters. 🤷‍♂️
I was looking into renting one here (despite not having enough rental places in Switzerland), but then I watched Steve's Youtube Review again. There I can see that the PF is exactly as big as the 200-500 in collapsed mode (at 200mm). That size is great and very manageable. Plus it's 1 KG lighter.. it's looking quite promising.
I am not a fan of 3rd party Products, simply due to the compatibility issue and they tend to last less than the Nikons.. you wearing it out is a confirmation.

Last edited:
It's a good idea to have a real world image to help you judge.
Thank you for the link regarding the Owl comparison, that was a good indication of the difference between 500 and 600. I think it does make a difference, but I agree with you in that it does not justify the additional size, weight and cost of the lens. I think a 500 PF which can be occasionally used on a TC14 is looking quite good right now.

Just keep in mind that the 200-600 @ 600 is more like 560 unless out at infinity.
True, Steve confirmed this as well when he compared the 200-500 with the 500 PF. The zoom wasn't a true 500 mm at the long end. I am really leaning towards the 500 PF now.. knowing it words well with Z9 is also a reassurance on compatibility in the future.

I just did some test samples from 12 feet inside the house and the apple appears larger on the 500 PF than on the 200-600mm.
Is this a focus breathing issue? I will say the 500PF had to be manually focused for some reason.
Is it worth posting the samples here? 12 feet away 200-600mm @ 500mm vs 12 feet away 200-600mm @ 600mm vs 12 feet away 500PF
Yes it was worth it, thanks! it is crazy but the apple is the same size for both the 500 PF and 200-600 at 600mm. That proves once again that mm isn't alway the same when different lenses are compared. Maybe it didn't focus because you had you distance limiter on (6m-infinity)

Thanks @SteveReid and @Ken Miracle for suggesting the 500 PF. I am already starting to check availability and see what is the price development (since I am not in a hurry and want to strike at the best price point).

I have the 200-500mm 200-400mm and 600mm G lenses.
Now i'm waiting for the 200-600mm Z lens. It may be lighter than the 200-500mm.
The 100-400mm and 400mm f2.8 Z lenses may not reach far enough for birding.
It looks like there will also be a lighter version of the 400mm Z lens in the near future - not as much reach but should be light.
All lenses are a compromise between weight speed and price.
Thank for the overview. Yes, I too have a feeling the 200-600 will be lighter or as heavy as the 200-500, but I guess it will be an F6.3 or more (seeing how they went with the 100-400). I do like the constant F5.6 of the 200-500 zoom. That's why one part of me is saying 500 PF is praised from many and checks all boxes, and is the way to go. But a curious part of me is telling me to wait for the 400 PF.. since it may be a F4 or F4.5, and that would be quite valuable too, considering I shoot very early or late in the day, that's when critters are most active in my region. This way I may get the 400 PF + TC so I will have the flexibility of shooting at 500 F5.6 (with TC) or 400 F4 (no TC). That would be great.

I’m completely Mirrorless having moved from from the D7500. I also used the 200-500 … on a monopod.
I'm another awaiting the non S 200-600 but I’d consider the 100-400 if the wait time is too long. Give it 12 months. A positive is the latter can take the z teleconverters

With 500mm and a DX body, you're reaching the limit on gear being the answer. Adding another 100mm to 600mm or choosing a different 500mm lens is not going to completely solve your problem.

The 500mm PF is a very good option and checks most of the boxes. Optically it's very good - better than the 200-500. It works well with the FTZ on the Z bodies - but it is an F-mount lens. The roadmap 400mm PF is a good alternative, but you are giving up reach. If the optics are good and the aperture is fast enough, the 400mm lens might still be a good option with a teleconverter some of the time.

I'd reconsider your comment about using a 1.4 teleconverter. It does soften a 200-500 to the point where it may not be acceptable to crop, but it does work in bright light for a static subject. Teleconverters work better with better glass - they are essentially magnifying your lens so good lenses have a better starting point and softer lenses are quickly unacceptable. Generally a teleconverter is going to be better with a fixed focal length or a fast zoom.

The 200-600 seems likely to be similar to the 200-500 in performance. It's not an S lens, and will probably be an upgrade over the 200-500, but borderline with a teleconverter. It will be relatively large to reach 600mm at the long end. That's physics.

The 800mm PF will be expensive but a good option for small subjects. It's going to be tough to maintain technique that is good enough to produce sharp images so you'll need a good tripod and great technique. I suspect many people who try to use an 800mm PF lens on an APS-C camera will struggle to get sharp images because of technique. Even top pros will find that combination difficult and accept a keeper rate of 10% of what you would get with half the focal length. That's what Michelle Valberg is seeing with 1000mm+ focal length combinations on full frame cameras.

An APS-C body means you are already cropping. Depending on your ultimate use, you might be comfortable cropping further - maybe much further. But that places a burden on ISO levels. Longer lenses can mean higher ISO levels for faster shutter speeds, but cropping with a camera body or in post is already causing ISO limits to drop compared to full frame or uncropped.

Small bird photography is difficult. It takes the longest glass you can manage and afford, and great technique because of the magnification. Even then you often end up cropping. I'd take a hard look at your technique and fieldcraft. Can you be more patient and use fieldcraft rather than a longer lens?

Personally - I'm planning on using the 400mm PF and occasionally add the 1.4 TC, but I'm keeping my 600mm f/4. That will give me a smaller and lighter option with high quality plus the big lens.
This is a great answer! I couldn’t agree more. It really comes down to planning an preparation after 500mm. Most of the fantastic images of birds you see online or in galleries are between 600-1000mm, but, the difference is they are well planned, sometimes staged, and almost always premeditated.

Last edited:
Yes it was worth it, thanks! it is crazy but the apple is the same size for both the 500 PF and 200-600 at 600mm. That proves once again that mm isn't alway the same when different lenses are compared. Maybe it didn't focus because you had you distance limiter on (6m-infinity)

Thanks @SteveReid and @Ken Miracle for suggesting the 500 PF. I am already starting to check availability and see what is the price development (since I am not in a hurry and want to strike at the best price point).
Your Welcome ... here are links to a couple of previous threads I posted taken with the 500PF on a D500 and a D850

A Classic Bird on a Stick
Ferruginous Hawk and Rough-legged Hawks ... D850 and 500 pf still work for an old codger

Most of the fantastic images of birds you see online or in galleries are between 600-1000mm, but, the difference is they are well planned, sometimes staged, and almost always premeditated.
I actually came to realize this when I saw this video today, seeing the different birds all perched on the same branch.

Considering that photography for me is the opportunity of capturing beautiful moments / interactions with animals while I roam free in nature / connecting with my surrounding.. I tend to avoid planned / staged shots. So for now I will stick with 500 mm, since anything bigger / heavier would result in less mobility. Maybe down the road staged photography might become something of interest…who knows 😊

I actually came to realize this when I saw this video today, seeing the different birds all perched on the same branch.

Considering that photography for me is the opportunity of capturing beautiful moments / interactions with animals while I roam free in nature / connecting with my surrounding.. I tend to avoid planned / staged shots. So for now I will stick with 500 mm, since anything bigger / heavier would result in less mobility. Maybe down the road staged photography might become something of interest…who knows 😊
That is my style wandering in nature and hunting with a camera :) That is why I posted those two links above to the wildlife photography forum since they were taken with the 500 pf while doing just that.

Back