Grand Teton, Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Great series, love the light and the clouds and compositions.

To my eyes the rocks on the Grand, especially that first image are still a bit over sharpened but not nearly like the original series.

Sharpening and what constitutes 'too much' is in the eye of the beholder so others may find it just right but FWIW when teaching sharpening in PS classes the final step after checking fine detail and looking for obvious halos would be to toggle the sharpening on and off quickly and ask if the overall image looked realistic and sharp or looked harsh. For instance if green summer grass takes on the look of grass you wouldn't want to walk on for fear of slicing your feet or fur looks like a Brillo pad then the sharpening is likely excessive. To me the rock on the Grand Teton looks that way, too much striation and visible sharp lines along the rock faces but that's just my opinion viewing this on a laptop screen so others may see it differently.

I really like the series and love the light in several of those Mormon Row images. Really nice!

-Dave
Thanks Dave. Appreciate your comments and advice. The sharpening issue has been my biggest problem area in post processing and I was really happy to get your advice the first time I posted because it kicked off a round of research and practice sessions with LR, PS, and Topaz that has helped me identify the problem and then moderate my heavy handed approach. These processing programs are so powerful it is very easy to overdo everything and, for me, difficult to spot. Now I’m constantly asking myself “does the photo look natural, does it look the way I saw it, and is it too sharp.” One particular area of trouble for me has been sharpening while exporting and this is an area in which I continue to work and so appreciate your comments. While still struggling with post processing generally, I feel I’m beginning to get there, and so thanks again, much appreciated. Paul

In this shot, the leading lines direct the viewer away from the subject. If there is a way to take the shot to include the driveway all the way to the subject, it might improve the photo.
I could have stepped to my right, which may have caught the bend in the driveway, but then I would have lost the entryway or road beginning at the bottom left of the photo. I didn’t look to see the effect it might have had. Now I’m really curious. I shot those barns in 2019 or 2020 and this time, in 2022, I went back three different days because I’d felt I just hadn’t gotten it right. I’ll be going back again and will remember to look and see. Thanks.

I could have stepped to my right, which may have caught the bend in the driveway, but then I would have lost the entryway or road beginning at the bottom left of the photo. I didn’t look to see the effect it might have had. Now I’m really curious. I shot those barns in 2019 or 2020 and this time, in 2022, I went back three different days because I’d felt I just hadn’t gotten it right. I’ll be going back again and will remember to look and see. Thanks.
I would try to take the shot from an elevated position from about the same spot if I had the opportunity. Do you have a stepstool or a small ladder that you can use to do so?

I would try to take the shot from an elevated position from about the same spot if I had the opportunity. Do you have a stepstool or a small ladder that you can use to do so?
Good idea. I’ve got the roof of my 4Runner and a sliding Sun Roof I can stand up through. It amazes me what grown men will do to get a shot, but I’m now spoiling to get back there and try. Thanks

Great series, love the light and the clouds and compositions.

To my eyes the rocks on the Grand, especially that first image are still a bit over sharpened but not nearly like the original series.

Sharpening and what constitutes 'too much' is in the eye of the beholder so others may find it just right but FWIW when teaching sharpening in PS classes the final step after checking fine detail and looking for obvious halos would be to toggle the sharpening on and off quickly and ask if the overall image looked realistic and sharp or looked harsh. For instance if green summer grass takes on the look of grass you wouldn't want to walk on for fear of slicing your feet or fur looks like a Brillo pad then the sharpening is likely excessive. To me the rock on the Grand Teton looks that way, too much striation and visible sharp lines along the rock faces but that's just my opinion viewing this on a laptop screen so others may see it differently.

I really like the series and love the light in several of those Mormon Row images. Really nice!

-Dave
I just went back over the photos and you’re spot on respecting the over sharpening. There is one shot that needs a total rework and that’s the vertical shot of the barn with the Grand Teton towering in the background. That’s so over sharpened still that it now looks “crunchy” to me. This has been very good. Looking back at it, and on a slightly different subject, I’m kicking myself for not making that shot a pano. It would have been great. I’m feeling another trip will be in order! I like the “Brillo pad” reference to fur on the animals. I’ve got a shot of a really beautiful, very light colored Red Dog that I definitely turned into a Brillo pad. LOL! Fortunately I’ve also got the NEF file and so it’s back to the drawing board for that little guy. It really takes practice to spot these issues and then restraint to avoid creating the problems in the first place. You must be a teacher in real life or did a lot of guiding because you’re quite talented in your approach to constructive and helpful analysis of these photos. Thanks

... It amazes me what grown men will do to get a shot, ...
Your comment is spot on! I have a long list of images I want to retake, to hopefully improve the original. I've even got some of them scheduled on my calendar because they require the sun to be rising or setting at a particular place. Most of these happen within a one-to-three day window twice a year, and also need to be taken within a one-to-two minute time frame on those days. Throw in the weather variations, and it makes the task even harder. I've been waiting over five years to retake one particular shot. It is good that the site is within a 45-minute drive from my house.

Your comment is spot on! I have a long list of images I want to retake, to hopefully improve the original. I've even got some of them scheduled on my calendar because they require the sun to be rising or setting at a particular place. Most of these happen within a one-to-three day window twice a year, and also need to be taken within a one-to-two minute time frame on those days. Throw in the weather variations, and it makes the task even harder. I've been waiting over five years to retake one particular shot. It is good that the site is within a 45-minute drive from my house.
LOL! In my case I’m only 2300 miles from the Tetons, but I’m going back. I’ve got a few retakes to do and more grizzlies to chase!

You must be a teacher in real life or did a lot of guiding because you’re quite talented in your approach to constructive and helpful analysis of these photos. Thanks
Thanks for the kind words.

Well, I've taught my share of photo and processing courses but I smiled at your comment as what I've done for many years is guiding but only some of that photo trip guiding. I guide mountaineering and rock climbing trips and classes in the Tetons for Exum Mountain Guides. One of the reasons the sharpening on the Grand jumped out at me is I've spent a lot of time up on that peak over the years(have guided it three times in the past two weeks alone) and the East Ridge of the Grand Teton isn't that sharp with so many crisp micro ridges :)

-Dave

Thanks for the kind words.

Well, I've taught my share of photo and processing courses but I smiled at your comment as what I've done for many years is guiding but only some of that photo trip guiding. I guide mountaineering and rock climbing trips and classes in the Tetons for Exum Mountain Guides. One of the reasons the sharpening on the Grand jumped out at me is I've spent a lot of time up on that peak over the years(have guided it three times in the past two weeks alone) and the East Ridge of the Grand Teton isn't that sharp with so many crisp micro ridges :)

-Dave
Wow, that’s quite an impressive background. I just read about the Exum Guide Service for information. When I was younger, I would have signed up to do something like that in a nanosecond but today I get dizzy just climbing a ladder. I’d been wondering about climbers going up the Grand. What an amazing experience that must be to sit on the top of that mountain. When I was at Hidden Falls a large and well organized climbing group just appeared out of the woods. I can’t remember if it happened at the boat dock at the Hidden Falls landing or at the main dock. They were busy organizing their gear otherwise I would have started a conversation. The young fellow operating the boat, whose name is Hayden (really) had mentioned doing some climbing as well. Have you taken any photos from the peak?

Wow, that’s quite an impressive background. I just read about the Exum Guide Service for information. When I was younger, I would have signed up to do something like that in a nanosecond but today I get dizzy just climbing a ladder. I’d been wondering about climbers going up the Grand. What an amazing experience that must be to sit on the top of that mountain. When I was at Hidden Falls a large and well organized climbing group just appeared out of the woods. I can’t remember if it happened at the boat dock at the Hidden Falls landing or at the main dock. They were busy organizing their gear otherwise I would have started a conversation. The young fellow operating the boat, whose name is Hayden (really) had mentioned doing some climbing as well. Have you taken any photos from the peak?
Our main teaching area is adjacent to Hidden Falls, we take classes there to prep for the Grand and other climbs so it's not unusual to see many groups up on the cliffs there.

I've shot a bit from the summits but when I'm working my focus is on the group, the weather, the climbing and the like and I typically don't carry much if any real photo gear. I have shot some photo story packages about climbing in the range for various publications and have on occasion carried some photo gear up while up there on my own.

Here's a few images I've captured while up in the Tetons:

Pano from the summit of Teewinot looking towards the Grand Teton, Mount Owen and the Southern Teton range:
teewinot-stitch - 24x8 12-17.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

And some images from up high on the Grand Teton

dsptmtn0612.jpg

dsptmtn0619.jpg

-Dave

Our main teaching area is adjacent to Hidden Falls, we take classes there to prep for the Grand and other climbs so it's not unusual to see many groups up on the cliffs there.

I've shot a bit from the summits but when I'm working my focus is on the group, the weather, the climbing and the like and I typically don't carry much if any real photo gear. I have shot some photo story packages about climbing in the range for various publications and have on occasion carried some photo gear up while up there on my own.

Here's a few images I've captured while up in the Tetons:

Pano from the summit of Teewinot looking towards the Grand Teton, Mount Owen and the Southern Teton range:
View attachment 45894

And some images from up high on the Grand Teton

View attachment 45898

View attachment 45899

-Dave
Those are absolutely beautiful shots. What a difference in perspective. I get dizzy just looking at them. It's very interesting, too, to see the actual color of the rock. It explains for me the difference in the color of the mountains depending on the lighting. I have one shot at sunrise where the color of the mountain is sort of an orangy brown and for the longest time I thought I'd done something wrong in the processing. I feel better about the shot now. Similarly, frequently the mountain range appears grey with tinges of that brownish color at the peak and now I understand why that is. Thanks for taking the time to explain. I really enjoyed learning a little about it and I do have a different understanding as a result.

LOL! In my case I’m only 2300 miles from the Tetons, but I’m going back. I’ve got a few retakes to do and more grizzlies to chase!
Well, I now feel better about only being 2000 miles away, because I'm going there one of these days! The shots of the Tetons, your's and others', posted here are absolutely inspiring.

Well, I now feel better about only being 2000 miles away, because I'm going there one of these days! The shots of the Tetons, your's and others', posted here are absolutely inspiring.
Nice to hear! Thanks. You gotta go because photos don’t do the place justice!

Beautiful set of landscapes. I wouldn't say they were over sharpened except possibly the barn itself in the shot "Barn at Mormon Row, Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming" but @DRwyoming says, it's a very personal thing and so I wouldn't worry too much.

Back