Handheld Or Tripod?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Which support method do you use the most

• Tripod

Votes: 32 19.6%
  • Monopod

Votes: 18 11.0%
  • Handheld

Votes: 112 68.7%
  • Other (comment below to let us know what you use)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Steve

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm curious - what support method do you use the MOST in the field? I know many of use a little of each choice in the poll, but which do you use the most?

Also, if you use a combination, feel free to post what percentage you use with each.

For me, I use a bit of everything, but the majority is on a tripod. However, I do find myself going with monopods and handheld more often than ever before (better VR and stabilizations systems combined with lighter gear helps a lot!) Probably 50% tripod, 20% monopod, and 30% handheld. (I should try to use the monopod more than I handheld, but here we are LOL).

Last edited:
For walk around shooting I am 90% hand held, 5% monopod 5% tripod. When shooting field sports I am 100% big prime on monopod and 100% hand held second camera with say a 70-200.

If I am shooting from a blind 99% tripod 1% handheld. If camping a spot to focus on a specific subject of say an owlet waiting to fledge than likely a tripod, burrowing owls in and out of holes I would use a tripod.

Flying subjects would be almost 100% hand held.

Wildlife:
With my AF-S 600mm f/4 and up - !00% Tripod
With my Nikkor Z100-400 - 100% Hand held
With my Z100-400 & 1.4 TC - 50% Tripod (depending on circs); 50% Hand held, but may try with a monopod.

Landscape: All lenses 75% Tripod; 25% hand held (depends on circs).

With my 800mm - don't have it yet, but having played with one, it's possible I could try that hand held

I really like the tripod for stability and the increase in keeper rate, but the Z9 and its lenses, like the 100-400 even with the 1.4 TC and its in camera VR, has permitted me to shoot hand held at 1/250 and regularly get keepers. I am amazed.

Probably 70% tripod, 30% handheld. I just find most subjects easier (and sharper) when my rig is mounted on a gimbal and Gitzo tripod. Warblers and other fast moving birds are mostly handheld.

Much of my photography is on short walks or drives. Handheld in both cases. Flower gardens and botanical gardens are better suited to handheld too, except when a lack of wind allows for stacking. Tripod is usually along, but only used for a few situations.

An interesting and timely poll :)
To qualify voting 'Handheld', there are caveats. If in a vehicle, I often brace the rig via my left arm or on a foam insulation tube (clipped onto the window pane). This guy explains it well , far better than I can ;):D

Over the past year I've used one or 3 legs very rarely, unless shooting within a hide or at a preselected fixed station.

Lighter telephotos are the primary reason for changing tactics, particularly with the 500 PF and more recently the 800 PF. However, since 2018 I've trained up the ability to handhold a 400 f2.8E on a gripped D850 or D5, usually with a TC. The heavier camera balances the 5+kg rig.

If I anticipate the likelihood of sustained shoots, than I carry a Hip monopod on belt (Steadify). This is a given if I deploy the 800 f5.6E FL on targeted operations, when shooting into the gloaming is possible ie D6 (ie hiking, not in vehicle).

Depends on the time of the day.

Low light mostly on a tripod. As the light gets brighter mostly handheld.

Where I pretty much draw the line is if I have to have shutter speeds that are less than half the focal length.

Monopod for less dynamic subjects (e.g. WWII planes) Handheld for subject changing height quickly (e.g. jet planes)
I cannot manage the quick change of vertical angle using monopod and I am not able to pan as smoothly as on monopod (with gimbal head)

I'm curious - what support method do you use the MOST in the field? I know many of use a little of each choice in the poll, but which do you use the most?

Also, if you use a combination, feel free to post what percentage you use with each.

For me, I use a bit of everything, but the majority is on a tripod. However, I do find myself going with monopods and handheld more often than ever before (better VR and stabilizations systems combined with lighter gear helps a lot!) Probably 50% tripod, 20% monopod, and 30% handheld. (I should try to use the monopod more than I handheld, but here we are LOL).
100% handheld. That includes from in car.

Since I got the Z9 in June all handheld. That will mostly change when the 800 pf comes. Of course car hunting qualifies as "quad-pod". lol

However, like Patrick I believe my images are suffering for it over just using the tripod.

Last edited:
Handheld unless in a blind, but my long lens is the lightweight 500 PF. This might change a bit if I get back into landscape and night photography. Right now I’m almost 100% wildlife.

Since going mirrorless with the Z9 I am using tripod much less often. The image stabilization is that good. Except for landscapes, in a blind or some macro work, I am handholding most of the time, especially with my Z 100-400. With the Z 800mm, I have often been using a monopod, but I've also used this lens handheld with very good results.

Handheld most of the time with new gear (Z9, 800pf, 400/2.8TC, 100-400S, 24-120S)

That is to say during normal hours where there is decent light!

Back