Handheld Or Tripod?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Which support method do you use the most

• Tripod

Votes: 32 19.6%
  • Monopod

Votes: 18 11.0%
  • Handheld

Votes: 112 68.7%
  • Other (comment below to let us know what you use)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
600mm f/4 15% handheld, 70% monopod and 15% tripod
All other lenses 75% handheld, 15% monopod and 10% tripod
I almost always use the cotton carrier vest regardless of what type of shooting.

With my 600mm f/4 it was 100% on a tripod. It has been replaced with the much lighter 800mm PF lens which I have been using hand held but plan to use more on a monopod once I get the right monopod and head combination put together.

For video it is 100% tripod and legs with a quick leveling base. Same requirement for landscapes and panos. I plan to try video with an ifootage monopod and video head.

I was able to use a tripod on my large inflatable boat with its metal floor and it worked nearly as well as on land. With regular boats I shoot 95% of the time hand held and 5% with a monopod.

With a Z9 & 500 PF, 70% hand held and 30% tripod. This summer I have used the Z9 & 400 mm 2.8 TC. Hand holding is more limited, about 40% hand held, 40% tripod and 20% monopod. I use a cotton carrier system to get the weight out of my hands between series but still get the kit to my eye quickly. More mobile than a tripod but a little slower to acquire subject.

My longest lens is the 500mm PF mounted to a TC-14E III. for wildlife, probably 70-80% hand-held, the rest on a monopod with Wimberley Monogimbal. When I still used the 200-500mm lens, the ratio was reversed - 80% monopod, 20% hand-held.
Low-light landscapes or where I use slow shutter to smooth out water, always tripod.

60 percent tripod 40 percent handheld. Primarily shoot macro/closeup, landscape/woodland and long exposure. When my 100-400 S lens and 1.4 teleconverter arrive I expect to be shooting more wildlife. We’ll see what kind of support evolves with that setup.

50-50 I'm still using the 200-500 with the Z9 and while image stabilization and high frame rates allow me to keep the ISO down, I prefer being on the tripod if something worthwhile is happening. I am far more patient and can enjoy the in between moments without having to lift the camera to my face every time I think it's about to get good!

I shoot handheld about 90% because the Nikon 500mm pf on any of my Nikon bodies has such great VR. I mostly shoot Osprey fishing activities which is erratic enough that a tripod or monopod just gets in the way. Shooting larger animals in our state/national parks (buffalo, elk, pronghorn and coyotes) is normally accomplished from the car window with a beanbag rest.

I use all three AND bean bags when on safari, but when shooting from low down I use the following. I also like the chair mounted gimbals on the Chobe river. I have found what looks to be a great door mounted solution - The GimPro Door Mount MKII - that I hope to obtain next year.

Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 11.52.12.png

All hand held when out. I used a tripod for a while when out for Eagles and found due to back and knees, I missed quite a few shots. It's far easier for me to swivel my feet while upright than follow movements using the tripod.

On the other hand, when shooting backyard birds from inside my basement, I always use a tripod while seated in a chair.

I selected tripod but I think it depends on where I’m shooting. At home I tend to be about 70% tripod and 30% hand held. When away from home and on hikes I tend to favor my monopod, again 70% and 30% hand held. Also, depends on whether I’m using teleconverters on my 500PF and 100-400. At 69, I find holding the camera steady becoming a bit more difficult.

For me, depends mostly on the lens, subject matter, and speed. For my 600mm f/4, 99% tripod - 1% monopod. For my 500mmPF, 20% tripod - 20% monopod - 60% handheld. 300mmPF and focal lengths below that is 95% handheld - 5% monopod.

If I am photographing from a car ( most of the time in safari ) or from a hide or very low on the ground, I use bean bag, I use also the tripod and handheld.. I have a monopod, but I hardly use it, even if it takes less space in my bag plus less weight. using tripod giving more more freedom to rest my hand when there is no action

I'm curious - what support method do you use the MOST in the field? I know many of use a little of each choice in the poll, but which do you use the most?

Also, if you use a combination, feel free to post what percentage you use with each.

For me, I use a bit of everything, but the majority is on a tripod. However, I do find myself going with monopods and handheld more often than ever before (better VR and stabilizations systems combined with lighter gear helps a lot!) Probably 50% tripod, 20% monopod, and 30% handheld. (I should try to use the monopod more than I handheld, but here we are LOL).
D850 w/500PF I can usually get away with handheld 90% but often get caught into low light +high ISO so I’ll find a tree (0-5%%) or fence post (5-10%) to be able to still a longer exposure at better ISOs.

I'm curious - what support method do you use the MOST in the field? I know many of use a little of each choice in the poll, but which do you use the most?

Also, if you use a combination, feel free to post what percentage you use with each.

For me, I use a bit of everything, but the majority is on a tripod. However, I do find myself going with monopods and handheld more often than ever before (better VR and stabilizations systems combined with lighter gear helps a lot!) Probably 50% tripod, 20% monopod, and 30% handheld. (I should try to use the monopod more than I handheld, but here we are LOL).
I started w/handheld and then, because of my Parkinson’s, I bought a gimbal and better tripod. Now I switch between the two. Very handy. I detach the camera from the tripod and hook it to my black rapid while walking. I also use a shoulder strap for the tripod. It all fits. Tripod? “don’t leave home without it” lol

I learned almost everything I know about nature and wildlife photography from an old but classic book by John Shaw (The Nature Photographer's Complete Guide to Field Techniques). The book was written in the film era at a time when careful field technique with ISO 50-100 slide film was a requirement for producing high quality images. Shooting low ISO film w/ a 300mm f4.5 EdIf & 400mm f5.6 Ed lens required the absolute sturdiest tripod in the field. I remember John saying on many occasions, your best investment is a solid tripod with a well-designed ball head. Back in the day, I spent as much on a Gitzo tripod and Foba Head as my best lens.
While VR and smaller lenses now allow me to shoot handheld, I continue to prefer using a tripod. Just this morning I was out shooting solitary sandpipers. While it might have been easier to flick on the VR and shoot handheld, I did 90% of my shooting with VR off and lens on the tripod.

While I do shoot handheld when from the kayak or when the action heats up, I still prefer to work from a tripod.

Great question Steve!
bruce

Back