Has Nikon fallen asleep

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Tamron finally replaced my last piece of F mount glass (70-300 af-p) with their introduction of the 50-400. Now I'm still waiting for a 14 mm 1.8 or 1.4 in Z mount. I don't care who does it, whether it's Sigma, Tamron, or Nikon. I just want a nice sharp and fast ultrawide made for astrolandscape.
Agree. Bring it own. sigma Art in z mount

I don't see the point, you can shoot DX with a Z8. All 3 Z DX cameras and 5 lenses are entry level. If I were to get a crop sensor camera it wouldn't have the huge Z lens mount which makes the lenses bigger and heavier than necessary.
Price. D500 vs D850. How much did you save? Was the D500 inferior to the D850 except for the sensor size?

DX? No, I'd like to see Nikon go the other way, towards Medium Format, or FX-Plus.

I do understand that others want a DX Nikon Mirrorless offering form Nikon. However, DX seems like it's wasting a lot of the Z-Mount advantages.

But I'm really happy that Nikon has gone back to what made the the powerhouse that they were years ago: a great variety of fantastic quality lenses!

Red related or normal delay?
Doubtful it’s because of Red. Any integration of brands tech would take some time. It’s likely camera and lens development are 3-4 years before they hit the market. A new model car is 2-3 years for refresh and much longer for a total new model. It’s a design stage, costing with vendors, software development, lab testing, field testing, sourcing parts, manufacturing planning, manufacture tooling and process, marketing, distribution planning just to name a few steps. This doesn’t happen in months but rather years.

Doubtful it’s because of Red. Any integration of brands tech would take some time. It’s likely camera and lens development are 3-4 years before they hit the market. A new model car is 2-3 years for refresh and much longer for a total new model. It’s a design stage, costing with vendors, software development, lab testing, field testing, sourcing parts, manufacturing planning, manufacture tooling and process, marketing, distribution planning just to name a few steps. This doesn’t happen in months but rather years.
I would like a good description of the lens development process. For example can a lens be designed by automated CAD type software? Or does the design require lots of designer input?

I would like a good description of the lens development process. For example can a lens be designed by automated CAD type software? Or does the design require lots of designer input?
Not sure. Using logic of how my company and OEM I sell to launch new products from start to finish. I’d think in a lens the glass, coatings and ultimately growing the glass take the most time.

Whenever I see these questions and related answers can I only but wander how many of you would buy the lenses they wrote in their post(s). It is nothing short what Nikon had done to their Z mount lens line-up given the 2 years of covid struggle throughout the various industries. We are here at a wildlife forum and if you can't get your lens of choice for your wildlife shooting, well, not sure what one is after.
I give for wildlife 1 exception indeed and that is a 300mm f/2.8 or a tele zoom lens in that range but we have a budget lens (180-600), PF primes, fast 400 and 600mm lenses, ...
One of the best 1:1 micro lenses on the market for them little critters and sure, Nikon might surprise us one day with a 180/200mm micro lens or even a 2:1 micro lens but especially on the 2:1 lenses are their nice alternatives out there.

Whenever I see these questions and related answers can I only but wander how many of you would buy the lenses they wrote in their post(s). It is nothing short what Nikon had done to their Z mount lens line-up given the 2 years of covid struggle throughout the various industries. We are here at a wildlife forum and if you can't get your lens of choice for your wildlife shooting, well, not sure what one is after.
I give for wildlife 1 exception indeed and that is a 300mm f/2.8 or a tele zoom lens in that range but we have a budget lens (180-600), PF primes, fast 400 and 600mm lenses, ...
One of the best 1:1 micro lenses on the market for them little critters and sure, Nikon might surprise us one day with a 180/200mm micro lens or even a 2:1 micro lens but especially on the 2:1 lenses are their nice alternatives out there.
There are several "must" have lenses on my list. An S version of the 180-600 or 180-400 TC, fast ultra wide prime (i.e., 16mm f/1.8) and macro with a tripod collar.

There are several "must" have lenses on my list. An S version of the 180-600 or 180-400 TC, fast ultra wide prime (i.e., 16mm f/1.8) and macro with a tripod collar.
And that is exactly what it is: your list :)

People reflect their own wish list as what Nikon (or whatever manufacturer) should make as they need it. In the end is there a need for clients buying these lenses and get the time and money spend on R&D and marketing back. We all have our wishes that can differ from one another but let us not make the clickbait title as Nikon has fallen asleep.

Reactions: seh
...100-300 perhaps with TC...
A 100-300 f4 could be interesting. Many years ago Sigma made one that I bought used for my Canon 5Dii. It was a great lens, but the autofocus failed after about a year and no replacement parts were available. An aperture of f4 makes it lightweight, but better than the consumer 70-300 lenses that are variable f4-5.6. (The Sigma was also internal zoom). With a built-in 1.4 TC it would be even better, even though it would "only" be f5.6. An f2.8 100-300 like Canon's is too heavy and too expensive. If they could split the difference and perhaps make it f3.5, even better.

I wonder whether Nikon might respond to the release of Canon’s R1 with a sub-30 megapixel photojournalism powerhouse — not necessarily a dream camera for most contributors to our forum.

Last edited:
Back