have you used physical conditioning to improve your ability to do wildlife photograph

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This topic is very timely for me. I’m 72 in what I’d say is good shape. I walk about 10-15 miles a week, primarily for cardio. During the summer here in the Phoenix area, that goes down somewhat…..I find that as the years go by my tolerance for the heat goes down. I have moderate levels of stenosis in the neck region which has led to reduced strength in both shoulders. Stretching and resistance training helps but I’m never very religious in doing the exercises. (That needs to change.)

All that being said, I’ve found that hiking with the Z9 and 500PF or 600PF on a Black Rapid strap hasn’t been an issue. But recently I’ve added a Z8 and 800PF to my kit and started hiking with it. I love the results I get from this setup….that lens is fantastic. But I’ve noticed that it is a LOAD in my current condition. I prefer to hand hold and I can still do it with the Z8/800PF, but my shoulders tire easily. I’ve used a monopod several times and it seems to work ok, but it’s a work in progress. I went out today with the Z9/600PF and it seemed to a lightweight by comparison.

So I’ve restarted my exercises and started some basic weight training, primarily for the shoulders, neck, and back. I need to stay with it, as another thing I’ve noticed is that while it doesn’t take long to get out of shape, it takes longer than it used to, to get back into shape. My goal is to regain a greater level of upper body fitness such that handholding the Z8/800 is less taxing.

And I echo what others have said….getting old is not for sissies.

Back