Have you used the z 135mm f1.8 Plena? What do you think of it?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am wondering whether to add the Z 135mm Plena to the inventory.

In addition to wildlife photography I am into landscape and general nature photography.

I don’t have an interest in portrait photography.

Based on reviews I have seen I am attracted by the creative potential this lens may bring,

Stunning lens, the ability to handle background lights is better than any Lens I have ever used the past 24 years imaging digital. Here are 4 pages with hundreds of images taken with the Plena:

I'm sure it's a great lens…if 135 and 1.8 are something one needs. For me…the only times I would really use that focal length are macro opportunities and with a max reproduction ration of 0.2 it doesn't fit into the inventory for me.

Hopefully, it will go on sale sometime in the future, but that is not likely until at least one year after its release.

I've seen some images that this lens produces that make me regret purchasing a 200mm f/2, even though I got the 200/2 at what I thought was a great price, and that the 200/2 produces wonderful images.

So you don't know where you stand on the decision; just like my subject doesn't know what direction to go. Let me help. YES. Let my cat's help. YES. Let my roadrunner help. YES.
You will find so many different uses for it. and the detail it renders along with the backgrounds are amazing. Look at the tail feathers below. And this was shot through a window while my cats supervised his antics. I just shot this 10 min ago.

These were with the Z9 so cropped, but plenty of pixels.

Roadrunner 1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Roadrunner 2.jpg

I am seriously considering this purchase. Right now i do not have authority from She Who Must Be Obeyed but I am thinking of selling some gear I don’t use to ease the pain and smooth the transition.

i love it, but keep in mind to use it to it’s best advantage you want to be able to have your subject large in the frame and differentiated from foreground and/or background elements

for photos that don’t leverage background/foreground separation, it’ll still be great, but maybe not worth the premium

I absolutely love my Plena. For people photography, it has become my "go to", especially if lighting is poor. An example from a July 4 evening water skiing show is shown below.

I am actively seeking ways to start using Plena for wildlife or flowers, as I really enjoy its rendering of backgrounds, and its sharpness. Just a delight to use!

2024 07 04 - Water ski show 7421aa.jpg

Everyone thanks for putting me at jeopardy with She Who Must Be Obeyed.

This is a tempting and dangerous place.:):):):):)
Any chance of renting one before you open up your wallet? It is a truly great lens, but what kind of sends out a yellow flag is that it was not initially on your radar screen for must have gear. I can think of a lot of lenses in that price range that I would not mind having at my disposal. And as much as I can appreciate what it can do, my personal concern would be if my style of photography would be able to take advantage of its unique features.

--Ken

The Plena will fit within my style, and I have thought of it before but until now had other priorities.

I like emphasizing points in images with shallow depth of field and I have always liked 135mm because it had a bit more reach than so called normal or portrait lenses. I also have used shallow depth of field in photographing rocks, trees and plants. And I have always loved high IQ lenses.

I have not looked to it til now because my priority was to round out my long lens inventory primarily for birding. I now have what I need on the long side. I actually agree with JoelKlein that I will go where the Plena points me.

I have a couple lenses I no longer need including the 85mm f1.8 and the 24-70mm f4. I could also let my Z7ii go and that should be enough to get past the Charman of the Board.

Does anyone know if Nikon is still doing the trade in program?

Wow!
What is the name of this bird?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadrunner - as michael (great shots Michael) pointed out the real thing that the Roadrunner Looney Tunes cartoon character mimicked First aired many, many years ago.They’re fairly common in Arizona. I seem them often here in Prescott. They hunt some snakes, lizards and other ground prey. And they are really fast. They seldom fly. and they make some interesting sounds.

Last edited:
The Plena will fit within my style, and I have thought of it before but until now had other priorities.

I like emphasizing points in images with shallow depth of field and I have always liked 135mm because it had a bit more reach than so called normal or portrait lenses. I also have used shallow depth of field in photographing rocks, trees and plants. And I have always loved high IQ lenses.

I have not looked to it til now because my priority was to round out my long lens inventory primarily for birding. I now have what I need on the long side. I actually agree with JoelKlein that I will go where the Plena points me.

I have a couple lenses I no longer need including the 85mm f1.8 and the 24-70mm f4. I could also let my Z7ii go and that should be enough to get past the Charman of the Board.

Does anyone know if Nikon is still doing the trade in program?
There isn't a 135mm lens in the market that comes anywhere near this lens. If the focal length is useful to you, there is really no substitute among Nikon or any other brands.

Back