Have you used the z 135mm f1.8 Plena? What do you think of it?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

6Weird i can get 1800 credit for my z7ii and 24-70 lens but I can’t use it on the Plena. I can get the z6iii for 700. Someone interested in buying the Plena and trading for new z6iii?

@wotan1 , if I remember right, aren't you lusting after the 600tc? Wouldn't getting the Plena now completely jinx chances of that with SWMBO?
I fear you are suffering from a GAS atack...:)?
I should add that I only asked about GAS because I have it bad too. And recognize the symptoms! That Plena is beautiful, I tried it at a local camera shop when I looked at a z8.

Mine is for a z8 or z9 in the Fall, falling in line after a storage solution (done, built a new NAS), new computer, maybe a monitor. A new vehicle might insert itself in there, unfortunately, which will delay everything else.

I should add that I only asked about GAS because I have it bad too. And recognize the symptoms! That Plena is beautiful, I tried it at a local camera shop when I looked at a z8.

Mine is for a z8 or z9 in the Fall, falling in line after a storage solution (done, built a new NAS), new computer, maybe a monitor. A new vehicle might insert itself in there, unfortunately, which will delay everything else.
Will the vehicle come with a global shutter? How many stops of DR?

The backup camera...lol

Will the vehicle come with a global shutter? How many stops of DR?

The backup camera...lol
Good point! :):)

I actually am wanting a vehicle backup camera since I had a "navigation error " on a pitch black night and backed into a car directly behind my driveway. Didn't expect it there, as it's a red zone, but the backup camera would have saved me $800.

Once I do get a new camera, I'll be on the new lens path as well. That path I expect to be a 600pf, a landscape lens, and a z105 micro. I have my own SWMBO situation and somehow new vehicle(s) seem to be a higher priority.

I confess I do have GAS and I lust after both the Plena and the 400 mm f2.8 tc. I have separate plans for each, the Plena is possible now, the 400 is more long range. Both are possible.

Of course, someone can have pity on me and donate their 400. Or just donate to the cause. I have dropped many hints but sadly no one has come forward.:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Love the lens; now my go-to lens on the Z9 for street photography.

Pride 2024 eleven.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Yeah I am sold. You all convinced me this is a really unique lens.

Breadpay had an interest free two year loan available and I qualified.

It is on backorder at Nikon USA but other stores seem to have it so I suspect I will not be waiting long.

Meanwhile I am going to put a few things up for sale to satisfy She Who Must Be Obeyed.

I also just realized something. Unlike my 800 this lens is not going to have atmospheric issues.

It is on backorder at Nikon USA but other stores seem to have it so I suspect I will not be waiting long.

Meanwhile I am going to put a few things up for sale to satisfy She Who Must Be Obeyed.

I also just realized something. Unlike my 800 this lens is not going to have atmospheric issues.
Congrats. I look forward to seeing some images after you get it!

I have promised to post a number of images in my gallery. I do have them on hand and will post a few shortly.

I am heavily involved in supporting a major bicycle event and this is our busy time. I hope to get to posting images this weekend.

Why not sell the gear, buy at BH and save your WA B&O tax?

I've used some of Nikon's best lenses over the last 14 years since switching to Nikon and IMO, the Plena is the best rendering lens of them all. I've had in F mount: AFS 300 f2.8G VRII, AFS 400 f2.8E FL VR, AFS 105 f1.4E and many others - in Z mount Z50 f1.2S, Z 85 f1.2S and also many others. The Plena has superb bokeh, sharp as a tack from wide open and across the frame, superb colour, basically no CA etc. It's almost faultless except for size, weight and price! :)

I’ve been thinking about getting Plena for a while now too. Only for me I’d also use it for night time sports games too. I believe it was released in Oct of last year so if you could hold off until that same time this year you might be rewarded with an extra $200 off when Nikon has a sale. No guarantee of course but this is what I keep telling myself and the reason I haven’t pulled trigger yet. I have not read very many bad this about it (and certainly nothing negative about IQ). I suffer from same GAS as you so I understand the want for this lens. Possible discount is just another thing to think about.

@wotan1 - she who must be obeyed is being ignored by her teenagers. It appears they have different plans for the day.

BTW - it doesn't show up 100% well in this downsized image but focus on the legs of the teenagers and see the micro contrast that shows up SOOC. This is one of the reasons the detail shines.

Quail  small - _MDH1172 - July 17, 2024 copy.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Back