Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I’ve wondered how this lens would do with frogs and the like. Would love to hear from people who have tried. Or see some sample photos.

Only frog image I have, :ROFLMAO: but the detail in the Black Eared Kite will give you and idea that it's a fun wildlife lens if the subjects are within the reach of the lens.

Frog on vase - _MDH4997 - April 12, 2024.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

BEK close - _MDH3172 - April 06, 2024.jpg

Good day. New to the forum and my first post. I'm Karen's friend and I use the Plena a lot for shooting Jays and Pileated woodpeckers in flight. Here's a couple of BlueJays the other day , on a rainy day
Jay diving for peznut 3466.jpg

Jay diving for peznut 3472 crop.jpg

Bohdan, those are awesome shots of the Jay in flight. Great example of what Plena can do for wildlife.

For the two photos, did you need to significantly crop, or were you able to get that close to the birds?

Well done, thank you for posting these!

Bohdan, those are awesome shots of the Jay in flight. Great example of what Plena can do for wildlife.

For the two photos, did you need to significantly crop, or were you able to get that close to the birds?

Well done, thank you for posting these!
Thanks for your kind words. For these the birds were between 25 and 30 feet away so some cropping done

The Plena also does a good job on Pileated Woodpeckers in flight. These were shot through my not so clean window in January 2024 and the birds are just over 25 ft away, and I'm about 3-4 ft from the window inside
Male Pileated in flight 7605.jpg

Mrs Pileated in flight attack 3410.jpg

Mrs Pileated in flight attack 3411.jpg

Nice to be able to photography these from the comfort of my family room, cause it gets really really cold in Thunder Bay Ontario Canada in the winter and I'm in my 76th year

Welcome, Bob! Thanks for joining us here on BCG!

Great photos showing the use of the Plena for BIFs.

I'm looking forward to more posts from your extensive galleries and your on-going shooting efforts! ;)

Welcome, Bob! Thanks for joining us here on BCG!

Great photos showing the use of the Plena for BIFs.

I'm looking forward to more posts from your extensive galleries and your on-going shooting efforts! ;)
Thank you Karen for steering me here. Looks like a great place to learn as well as appreciate the talented photographers here.

Back