Help requested: External SSD no longer readable

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Jonathan

Has anyone experienced the following issue? If yes, where you able to recover your data? Any ideas to help me recover my data are appreciated!

When attempting to connect my external SSD (SanDisk 4TB Extreme PRO Pro SSD V2) today I received the following error code: "The disk you attached was not readable by this computer". With the option to "Eject", "Ignore", or "Initialize...".

Computer details: MacBook Pro M1 16in, 2021, macOS Monterey 12.0.1

The drive is relatively new, purchased in January 2023, worked from purchase until this evening. Worked fine the last time I plugged it in a couple days ago.

Steps taken so far:
  • Restarted my computer after selecting "Eject" from error code pop-up window
    • Received same error message after restarting
  • I plugged in a different external drive to my computer
    • The different drive was able to be read with no issues.
  • I also tried the drive in question on my wife's computer,
    • Received same error message
  • Clicked "Initialize.." on error code pop-up window
    • Took me to "Disk Utility" app
    • Ran "First Aid" on external drive
    • Received the following message after running "First Aid": "First Aid process has failed. If possible back up the data on this volume. Click Done to continue"
Thank you for your help!

As unusual as it is to have an SSD fail (especially one from a relatively reputable mfr such as SanDisk) it sounds like that's what happened. There are a few other possibilities, such as the USB port on the Mac failing (think of the data as a chain from the port to the cable to the SSD, checking along the way), but that's even less likely. Try the SSD on a different computer. If it doesn't work at least your diagnosis is done. If it does work you have something odd going on. If you're close to an Apple store you could make an appointment. (I've had some luck recovering some data from failed hard drives, but I'm not familiar enough with solid state drives to know their failure modes).

Does it work on a different computer? If it reads the same on another computer then you may need to assert a warranty claim.
If everything you try fails and you can‘t get it replaced under warranty I would remove the ssd card from the case and insert it in another enclosure and see if that works. Some are relatively cheap $(15) but others are not depending on the card. So it may not be worth it since your not sure if it is the card or the interface. But if the data on the drive is irreplaceable I would give it a shot. I’ve done this with external HD drives.

I would try a software repair application to see if it might be able to repair the corrupted bits. SanDisk offers free software for their cards and USB drives, including camera cards and may have something for their SSDs. In my experience with those applications, I discovered they work very slowly, as in overnight or longer. Also check to see if the utility that came with your computer system can repair it. I think recovery of the photo files is your crucial objective followed by drive replacement.

YIKES! I own that one also. Just use it for travel. Guess I better check it out.......but seems that it can fail at any moment?
I run Softraid on a mac. One option they have is to "certify" the disk. They read and write to the drive the number of times I specify (typically 4 for a new SSD) to make sure everything works. SoftRaid is great but the software and support. Highly recommend. I think that SoftRaid runs under Windows but not sure.

That doesn’t sound good, I’ll see what sort of warranty coverage it was purchased with. It’s frustrating I’ve had an issue already. Thanks for the reply!
In my experience…an early electronics failure doesn't necessarily mean anything other than you got the 1 out of 1000 that were going to fail…circuit boards and such tend to either fail early or pretty much never in my former IT sysadmin world at least.

If no warranty and you want to try and enclosure you might look at these from OWC. Even if it doesn't work you could then add a Samsung 970 M2 in it. I get about 1450MB/s read/write speed with those. I use two of those at home. For the road I prefer the Samsung T7's as they are so thin you can carry them so easily but the speed isn't as fast.
I have six Samsung T7's that have all worked without failure.

My son has also had issues with the San Disks. Let us know how it comes out.

YIKES! I own that one also. Just use it for travel. Guess I better check it out.......but seems that it can fail at any moment?
I know that you know this, Karen, but it bears repeating. Any drive can fail at any time (although SSD's do not often give an early warning signs), and important data should always be backed up ASAP. Still, it is not good news to hear this may be a trend with some SanDisk drives.

--Ken

I know that you know this, Karen, but it bears repeating. Any drive can fail at any time (although SSD's do not often give an early warning signs), and important data should always be backed up ASAP. Still, it is not good news to hear this may be a trend with some SanDisk drives.

--Ken
So true. I only use this HD for one of two backups when traveling. I even ran CrystalDisk on it and was rated "good". But - as you say - you never know. THAT is why making TWO backups (or more) is so important.

For what it’s worth Troops, B&H has the Samsung T7s on sale at present and with an extra $30 off coupon that shows up in your ‘cart’. Just ordered some 2TB T7s $117 each without tax. They’re plenty fast. I’ve amassed quite a collection of T5s and T7s recently. Just letting you all know in case you need an alternative or back up.
I see them discounted at B&H, but not down to $117 for a 2TB. Can you elaborate a bit more?

--Ken

I have purchased many of the Sandisk Extreme SSDs (not the Pro version because I am cheap) and never had any issues. I have a least a dozen and a half. I do not like hearing about this failure problem. I hope it is limited to the Pro version and not the Extreme non-pro.

Back