If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Beautiful picture. We have lots of them here in extreme southern Michigan….but this red color is not as bright as yours!….at this time of the season
Thanks. I didn't think about the colour and season; this guy clearly hasn't moulted to drab yet!

While invasive….still…a great portrait. I really like how you see the natural world.
Thank you! And, yah I try not to hold any impact of their invasiveness against the intruders. Not their fault some human thought it would be a good idea to bring their favourite animal to another continent, or in this case a different coast.

Reactions: Hut
Out here in their native range they have nice color in the winter. They make nice holiday decorations in the snow covered shrub-steppe with red, orange and yellow variations 😎👍
Apparently the house finch is very new to this far north (bird counts suggest they became noticeable in number (eg had moved in) around 2006) -- I just went to read more about them specifically due to your comment. There is also a finch native to here (Purple Finch) and they are difficult to distinguish but for the House finch's dark streaks are more pronounced and has a more square (vs notched )tail. All to say I now don't know if the bird in my photo is a Purple or House Finch! Anyway, the search was about your point about colour change, or not. Gave up after a few totally conflicting articles as to whether they moult to drab or not in winter here :) I'm going to be paying more attention this winter to the sparrow and finch parties to see just who is and who is not amongst the crowd and what colours they're sporting :) Gonna be looking to see whether I'm seeing Purple or House Finches. This wildlife photography thing just make me a birder after all :)

Reactions: Hut
Exactly just like house sparrows they are an extension of human invasion not the other way around.
Yup, don't get the hate for house sparrows, though I understand (and share) the upset /concern for those birds who are losing out. The 'how to get rid of house sparrows' articles are sad making. As I asked a neighbour (in Toronto) who was switching all of her feeders to the type that exclude (or tries to) House Sparrows, why not both types of feeders? But nope that would mean the 'pests' were still around!? Sigh LOL

Yup, don't get the hate for house sparrows, though I understand (and share) the upset /concern for those birds who are losing out. The 'how to get rid of house sparrows' articles are sad making. As I asked a neighbour (in Toronto) who was switching all of her feeders to the type that exclude (or tries to) House Sparrows, why not both types of feeders? But nope that would mean the 'pests' were still around!? Sigh LOL
I'm of the same mind as you. We have the same issue with squirrels here. Those (birds and squirrels) who are living in or around my yard are my "neighbors" just trying to get by. I know that there are also mice and rats that live in the neighborhood, but we try not to feed them (and avoid any methods of killing as best we can) as they can be invasive to household structures. The birds and squirrels are not really an issue. I know situations can vary from place to place, but I try not to add to any creature's misery. It is tough enough to get by from day to day without additional obstacles placed in your path.

--Ken

I'm of the same mind as you. We have the same issue with squirrels here. Those (birds and squirrels) who are living in or around my yard are my "neighbors" just trying to get by. I know that there are also mice and rats that live in the neighborhood, but we try not to feed them (and avoid any methods of killing as best we can) as they can be invasive to household structures. The birds and squirrels are not really an issue. I know situations can vary from place to place, but I try not to add to any creature's misery. It is tough enough to get by from day to day without additional obstacles placed in your path.

--Ken
Well said. The success of some animals (eg not just those who are invasive) makes them enemy number one. In Toronto the racoon is wildly successful with urban racoons far, far bigger (eg well fed) than any racoon I've seen in the non urban wild. Laws have had to be enacted to (try) to stop people from leg hold trapping or poisoning racoons; actions taken almost exclusively because Racoons feed from garbage cans, resulting in garbage on the sidewalk not in the container, which is damn annoying most assuredly but surely not excuse enough for a death sentence for the racoons. There is an entire engineering culture aimed at trying to build the perfect garbage container to keep racoons out. So far, no ultimate success, just a slowing of the problem until any new learning spreads through the raccoon community LOL The city several months ago now (maybe a couple of years given time has stood still for me re COVID) launched, with great fanfare, their new anti racoon locks for garbage and recycling bins. Within days there were videos of racoons pondering, tinkering and then successfully opening the locks. :D

All I can say is we feed them mainly black sunflower seed, they love them, and we go through a lot of birdseed! This guy showed up today after being gone for over a week
DSC_2869.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Well said. The success of some animals (eg not just those who are invasive) makes them enemy number one. In Toronto the racoon is wildly successful with urban racoons far, far bigger (eg well fed) than any racoon I've seen in the non urban wild. Laws have had to be enacted to (try) to stop people from leg hold trapping or poisoning racoons; actions taken almost exclusively because Racoons feed from garbage cans, resulting in garbage on the sidewalk not in the container, which is damn annoying most assuredly but surely not excuse enough for a death sentence for the racoons. There is an entire engineering culture aimed at trying to build the perfect garbage container to keep racoons out. So far, no ultimate success, just a slowing of the problem until any new learning spreads through the raccoon community LOL The city several months ago now (maybe a couple of years given time has stood still for me re COVID) launched, with great fanfare, their new anti racoon locks for garbage and recycling bins. Within days there were videos of racoons pondering, tinkering and then successfully opening the locks. :D
Yes, my wife and I talk about the squirrels beating out the birds for food, and have a good chuckle at all of the videos on YT for how to make a feeder squirrel-proof. We do have a feeder, now with a rain dome which seems to have helped balance out the eating affair, but we have also placed out loose seed for the ground feeders. Years ago, when we found a large rodent dining on suet, we decided to not leave out large amounts of open food. So, we both go out during the day and place smaller amounts of loose seed in a couple of places. At times, the squirrels "Hoover" it all up while the birds just stand there flustered, and then I wait an hour or so when the squirrels are gone and place out another feeding for the birds. I suspect that everybody would like it if we had larger amounts of food in feeders, but the juncos and chickadees seem to return every winter, so we must still be on the short list. And since I have had some health issues of late that may not allow me to head out to photograph eagles, I keep reminding myself that backyard birding is a good way to build technique and get some nice song bird images.

--Ken

All I can say is we feed them mainly black sunflower seed, they love them, and we go through a lot of birdseed! This guy showed up today after being gone for over a weekView attachment 28264
All I can say is we feed them mainly black sunflower seed, they love them, and we go through a lot of birdseed! This guy showed up today after being gone for over a weekView attachment 28264
Oh, I love Jays. I think I've got a thing for 'noisy' birds as jays, crows, ravens, magpies... love 'em all! :)

Well based on that story, it’s little wonder that we are loaded with them here on Long Island. They are very willing to perch for portraits.

Great shot and great historical information.
Thanks. A friend dug a little deeper on the story -- seems the selling of them began in the '20s by mail order! They were marketed as Hollywood Finches. The Long Island release was a couple decades later and a group of them, providing obviously a chance to establish and reproduce.

Here is an example of one of mine. I have hundreds of these that are eating me out of house and home.....but I feed all that come!!....they are cute little creatures

View attachment 28470
Lovely. Thanks for sharing This far north they haven't, at least where I tread, appeared in numbers as you describe or as we have, say, with the House Sparrow, but give them time I figure :) I'm in a high rise so have no feeders of my own. Many feeders placed by folks in the forested river valley here and I've purchased seed this year to add to the refilling responsibilities as I saw several empty the other day.

House Finch. An invasive species in Canada (and North Eastern US). Originally a resident of Western US and Mexico a small number were released in Long Island (someone had unsuccessfully tried to start selling them as caged birds) in 1940 and in about 50 years they had successfully established in much of southern Canada (and not so southern Canada given my location) and great swaths of the continental US.
Nikon D6; 300 pf w/ 1.4 tc, handheld.
View attachment 28115
way cool