How many bodies do you take out?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
In the past I only went out with one body and a couple lenses but for the last 10 years or so I have always taken two bodies and two lenses whenever going out. The main reason for me is, the difficulty of changing lenses in the field due to limitations I have from severe injuries to my arms. It makes for a better experience in my opinion having two bodies with different focal lengths ready to go. It also provides coverage for different scenarios such as video or other situations. I am to the point now, that I can't imagine not going out with multiple camera bodies. I am curious how others feel and what your workflow is like?

Depends. If I'm doing landscape photography, I only need one body. If I'm hiking, I take one body, and no more than 2 lenses. For wildlife I'm more likely to have two bodies, but I still only hike with one. If I'm driving around some place like Yellowstone, then I have two bodies with different lenses so I can just grab which ever one I needed at an instant. For example, last time I was in Yellowstone I was still shooting my DSLRs, and I had a D500 with a 200-500, and a D750 with a 70-300 AFP. That way when I spotted something I could just grab the camera I needed. Changing lenses isn't something I really worry about, unless weather is a problem.

I'm going to try it out for the first time. I just got a cheap backup body (d7200) to my d500.

I'll put a 500mm pf on the d500 and a 16-80 f2.8-f4, a 300mm f4 pf, or a 55mm micro nikkor f2.8 on the d7200. I'd like to maybe get a 70-200 2.8 as a next step to put on the 2nd body. On the list...

Looking forward to it:)

I'm going to try it out for the first time. I just got a cheap backup body (d7200) to my d500.

I'll put a 500mm pf on the d500 and a 16-80 f2.8-f4, a 300mm f4 pf, or a 55mm micro nikkor f2.8 on the d7200. I'd like to maybe get a 70-200 2.8 as a next step to put on the 2nd body. On the list...

Looking forward to it:)
It makes a huge difference when you can grab a second body with another lens in a hurry. For me especially during spring and summer I do lots of macro while also still photographing birds so I have both areas covered.

For a trip or a long day photography I will take at least two bodies and four lenses. If I know there is a lot of opportunities to photograph a diversity of wildlife, macro or landscape, I will add more lenses. If I am hiking a long distance, then I will adjust to what I can carry in my backpack and to what I am photographing.

When walking I usually have two, one with a telephoto zoom the other with my macro lens. For a car trip it would be three or maybe four, all with different focal lengths. For street photography it's a bridge superzoom. I absolutely HATE changing lenses: I'm lazy, don't want to take the time and I'm occasionally fumble-fingered -- justification enough for having multiple bodies, some of which are quite old but still take nice photos.

One reason I got a 2nd body is that we like to go to the desert and I was changing lenses all the time! Lots of cleaning necessary afterwards.

I'm still shooting with dx, but plan on a move to full frame, dslr or z system soon.

I’m in the depends crowd. If shooting song birds I’ll take one since I know I’ll only be shooting song birds.
If I am shooting Astro I will likely have two bodies going.
If I’m shooting macro I’ll have two set ups.
Sports I’ll have two for sure.
Yellowstone type action I’d have as many cameras as I can get my hands on.
I’ve only had two but often wish I had three.

If I’m traveling I always take two and a back up tele if I’m doing wildlife in the event a lens goes down which has happened to me in the past.

It used to be two on trips and one or two locally. However, I recently sold all my DSLR gear and swtiched to Nikon Z8 so I only have the one body I can afford at the moment. I definitely want a second body as soon as I can save the money. (I do, however, have a pocket camera - Fuji XF10 - that I use for snapshots when I am on a trip).

I have a Z6 ii, and would love to have another body. The 180-600 stays on the Z6 ii while walking or driving in the pasture. I am not sure what body to get next. Tempted to get the Z8 and keep the 180-600 on it for deer, etc., and put my 24-120 on the Z6 ii. But, hope to live long enough to see what the Z6 iii will be. 😂 Hopefully, I will have another body by September or October.

In the past I only went out with one body and a couple lenses but for the last 10 years or so I have always taken two bodies and two lenses whenever going out. The main reason for me is, the difficulty of changing lenses in the field due to limitations I have from severe injuries to my arms. It makes for a better experience in my opinion having two bodies with different focal lengths ready to go. It also provides coverage for different scenarios such as video or other situations. I am to the point now, that I can't imagine not going out with multiple camera bodies. I am curious how others feel and what your workflow is like?

When I go on photo trips, I always take two bodies and three lenses. Supertele prime, supertele zoom and wide zoom. I keep one body on the prime, one on the supertele zoom and leave the wide zoom in the bag since it's unlikely landscapes will run away from me. The supertele zoom stays on the seat beside me while I drive and the prime is in a padded case on the floor, ready to pull out for a more distant target or if I park and get out.

I tried two bodies, D-500/500pf, D-500/300pf but couldn't carry them even after I purchased a double strap. This caused me to seek a single lens solution, so I evaluated an OM Systems OM-1/100-400 and a Canon R7/100-500. I liked them both, but my wife fell in love with the OM-1, so I returned the Canon and purchased a total of three OM-1/100-400 combos, mine, wife and backup.

On a walkabout I carry the OM-1/100-400 combo but in a car, boat or blind I also have an OM-1/300f4 possibly with a TC.

I usually just use one Nikon DSLR (D500) and one telephoto zoom lens. I don’t like being encumbered by a lot of gear. I occasionally bring a Nikon 1 body with an adapter if I believe I will be taking photos of a subject that will be quite far away.

Since the mid-1970s I've always had at least two bodies with the same mount, there's just too much possibility of a single body being rendered inoperable. That was really brought home a few years ago when I slipped on ice and landed on my camera, driving the lens into the body. The darn camera broke six of my ribs and was not economically repairable (the lens wasn't either), but my second camera kept my photography going. Because older bodies aren't worth much but still take as good photos as they ever did, I always keep at least one as a spare. Carrying two (or more) bodies with attached lenses was one reason I switched to MFT.

With the same goal of avoiding changing lenses in the field I commonly use two bodies with different lenses other than going for something very specific close to home. When on our boat I typically have one body fitted with my longest telephoto lens and a second body with either 24-120 or 70-200. On serious wildlife shoots I usually have one body w/long telephoto tripod mounted and second body with either a shorter telephoto prime or a telephoto zoom on a strap. Last fall on a bear trip I was reversed with Z9/180-400mm f4 TC tripod mounted and Z8/400MM 4.5 handheld.

I only take one camera pretty much anywhere although I’ve broken that rule twice. Once when I went to New Zealand since I knew I would likely never be back and my upcoming trip to the Santa Clara Ranch since it cost enough to rent a second body. As an amateur it’s not in my financial interest to have multiple bodies and I don’t have enough time to make them both useful. And it’s been my experience that one is very reliable anyway and if I miss a shot because I had the wrong lens on (happens) it’s OK. I get annoyed and move on. :)

I almost always go out with more than one body. Sometimes more than one system.

Shooting wildlife I often bring an IR camera with a wide zoom. When it’s a disappointing bird day, I often get better landscapes.

I’ll also go out with my Zf and Z6 IR, with a 24-70 and 100-400. In that case I’m still swapping lenses.

And if I’m shooting primes I like to go out with at least a couple bodies. The X100V is great for this; it’s like a small 35mm lens with a body attached.

I almost always go out with more than one body. Sometimes more than one system.

Shooting wildlife I often bring an IR camera with a wide zoom. When it’s a disappointing bird day, I often get better landscapes.

I’ll also go out with my Zf and Z6 IR, with a 24-70 and 100-400. In that case I’m still swapping lenses.

And if I’m shooting primes I like to go out with at least a couple bodies. The X100V is great for this; it’s like a small 35mm lens with a body attached.
Pretty much the same with me. I’ll take a long prime or zoom and then another with a shorter zoom or prime for things other than wildlife. In the summer I use the 100-400 and 90mm macro which is a great combo for insects.

Back