How many bodies do you take out?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I take 2 bodies and 2 sets of lenses when traveling but I don’t take both sets into the field. One set is my Z8, 400mm 4.5, 70-300mm AF-P, and 24-120mm. The other is my Zf and a few tiny M mount Voigtlander lenses. Which set I have on me and which I leave in the car or hotel depends on what I am doing.

The only time I take a single lens (usually the 100-400mm zoom) and a single camera is when visiting places close to my house and so I know the subjects I will encounter and the camera to subject distances involved.

When traveling I will have two bodies that are identical and multiple lenses. I may leave a camera and additional lenses in my room or in my truck but they come with me and so are available for use.

I usually only bring one. However, I finally got a combo chest and hip harness that allows me to carry 2 without much effort and I will do so occasionally depending on the expected targets. I will also go out with my kids and/or grandkids and then depending on which ones come I will not only bring the z9 and d500 but might also bring the b700, d3100, insta360 x3, and Mavic air. Its sometimes more fun and important to me to share the photography experience with the kids than capturing really good images.

I’d say at least 95% of the time I have two bodies. It’s certainly nice to be able to switch fast when/if needed - being out with the 600TC and having a heron or egret land too close can be frustrating, especially if you’ve already done enough head-shots. Or seeing a beautiful landscape while you’re out shooting wildlife, so you switch to a landscape lens and some great wildlife suddenly appears.

But more than just the ease/speed of switching is the “maintenance issue”. I live about 70 yards from the Pacific Ocean, in an area that gets high surf and high winds. I’ve already had one D850 declared “unrepairable” by Nikon due to corrosion, almost certainly largely attained while changing lenses, and Nikon has commented about my gear when it comes in for servicing. And even when I’m not shooting near home, I’m often still either near the ocean, or near a dusty/dirty area. Fewer lens changes -> happier camera gear -> happier Dave.

In the past I only went out with one body and a couple lenses but for the last 10 years or so I have always taken two bodies and two lenses whenever going out. The main reason for me is, the difficulty of changing lenses in the field due to limitations I have from severe injuries to my arms. It makes for a better experience in my opinion having two bodies with different focal lengths ready to go. It also provides coverage for different scenarios such as video or other situations. I am to the point now, that I can't imagine not going out with multiple camera bodies. I am curious how others feel and what your workflow is like?
One, cause that's all I have.

In the past I only went out with one body and a couple lenses but for the last 10 years or so I have always taken two bodies and two lenses whenever going out. The main reason for me is, the difficulty of changing lenses in the field due to limitations I have from severe injuries to my arms. It makes for a better experience in my opinion having two bodies with different focal lengths ready to go. It also provides coverage for different scenarios such as video or other situations. I am to the point now, that I can't imagine not going out with multiple camera bodies. I am curious how others feel and what your workflow is like?
Mostly one body one lens, if its a long lens then i sometimes have a nifty fifty in my pocket.

If doing an event like international surfing or moto GP or major soccer match , its two lenses two bodies. often one unit is rented.

If its a 600 F4 i have a 70-200, or a 200-500 its a 70-200, or if its a 28-300 its a nifty fifty.

Camera wise its a either the DF, with a D850 as a main camera, if its was the Z9 it would be the D850 with a grip. or if rented its a D6.

Strange, yes but their just tools.

Pretty much the same with me. I’ll take a long prime or zoom and then another with a shorter zoom or prime for things other than wildlife. In the summer I use the 100-400 and 90mm macro which is a great combo for insects.
I find the 50mm 1.8 S is an amazing tool, i haven't had the 100-400 but i hear mixed reports, here in OZ its over priced for what is $4500 AUD or nearly $3000 USD, some club member's have said its soft at 400, others say its soft at 200 and 400, it can be sample variation or user error but when its one that may be the case but when several say it ? yet others say its really a super sharp lens from 100-400.
I love the focal range, it would go well with the 50mm 1.8S.

I find the 50mm 1.8 S is an amazing tool, i haven't had the 100-400 but i hear mixed reports, here in OZ its over priced for what is $4500 AUD or nearly $3000 USD, some club member's have said its soft at 400, others say its soft at 200 and 400, it can be sample variation or user error but when its one that may be the case but when several say it ? yet others say its really a super sharp lens from 100-400.
I have a 50 mm 1.4 that I take out quite often and really like the image quality. I think it’s a very versatile lens.

I had the 100-400mm but I found it unacceptably soft at 400mm. So I waited for a good deal on a used 400mm f4.5. Now I use it, the AF-P 300mm and the 24-120mm to cover just about everything.

I have a 50 mm 1.4 that I take out quite often and really like the image quality. I think it’s a very versatile lens.
I have the 50mm 1.4 D i bought while traveling through Canada some time ago, i still use it often, i also have a 50mm 1.8 D for $90 USD display piece, i use it on the D850, but gee whiz this 50mm 1.8 S on the Z9 is exceptional with edge to edge sharpness, clarity, with accurate colour, and again exceptional micro contrast, its a stand out.

The new Z8 i pick up next week i will use mostly the 70-200 FL, 50mm 1,8s, 200-500, or rented 600 F4 when needed, i would update to the 180-600 but i cant push pull it which is critical for what i do, with my push pull i can track and keep framing super tight for fast action like foot ball rodeo or most all other action.

Last edited:
As an estimate, I use two bodies about 75% of the time. For sports it my 400/2.8TC ND 70-200/2.8 and sometimes a third body nearby with a shorther lens such as a 14-30 or a 24-70. Depends upon the job. Best of luck.

Back