How many camera bodies?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My question is similar but slightly different. Not how many cameras do you own, but how many do you travel with? I am booked into a private trip to Africa that says I may not have more than 44 lbs of luggage in total. On my last trip I carried 30 lbs of cameras (Z9 with 100-400 and FTZ and D850 with 500p and 24-70mm in a think tank wheeler). I am 5 feet tall and needed to ask for help lifting it into overhead for each of my 3 flights to destination. Since I also have the 800p on back order and will bring it to Africa if it comes in, I am wondering if I can get by with only one camera to save on weight.
I normally travel with one but sometimes both.

I have two, a Z9 and a Z7 II. The Z9 is for wildlife, which includes my supposedly domesticated dogs. I prefer the Z7 II for travel and street photography, but I am considering using the Z9 for travel and street photography too. It is a do-it-all camera for me, albeit a very BIG do-it-all camera.

My first reaction was to say two, my Sony A1 and my Sony A9 II. Then while reading other replies I realized I have a Canon pocket camera that will literally fit in my shirt pocket, and a Panasonic LUMIX bridge camera, which I hardly ever use. The Canon and Panasonic are both pretty old. I expect that in the next 18 months I’m going to get a Sony RX100 VII as a new “pocket camera” to replace the Canon and Panasonic.

My question is similar but slightly different. Not how many cameras do you own, but how many do you travel with? I am booked into a private trip to Africa that says I may not have more than 44 lbs of luggage in total. On my last trip I carried 30 lbs of cameras (Z9 with 100-400 and FTZ and D850 with 500p and 24-70mm in a think tank wheeler). I am 5 feet tall and needed to ask for help lifting it into overhead for each of my 3 flights to destination. Since I also have the 800p on back order and will bring it to Africa if it comes in, I am wondering if I can get by with only one camera to save on weight.
I would not consider a trip without at least two cameras and multiple lenses. I've had cameras damaged or had them fail a number of times. I've also seen someone drop a long lens and then another day the backup long lens on a single trip to Yellowstone in winter.

Pack light clothing, wear just one pair of shoes for the trip, carry minimal light clothing, etc. If weight is really an issue and you have no other choice, carry a Z50 or similar smaller DX camera and a 40mm f/2 or 16-50 DX lens. Even the Z 24-70 f/4 is a good alternative to a 24-70 f/2.8.

I've never liked a gripped body or the size of a flagship body. But I'll admit I expected the Z9 in a smaller footprint in 2022. I don't use subject detect that often, and action and wildlife don't represent a high percentage of what I photograph, so functionally I'm still committed to my original plan and will get the updated camera this year. I hope.
Personally, I like the grip for easy move to vertical aspect and I have grips on my D850, D800 and D500. My understanding is the reason Nikon built the grip in to the body was for heat dissipation. They were going for state of the art video as well as still performance (no blackout, 30fps FX jpg, 60fps DX jpg, 120fps DX jpg at 11mp), which required both a sensor that generated a lot of heat, but the new Xpeed 7 processor, which also generates a lot of heat. Other cameras have overheated, especially shooting video, and have been retrofitted with fans.

Personally, I like the grip for easy move to vertical aspect and I have grips on my D850, D800 and D500. My understanding is the reason Nikon built the grip in to the body was for heat dissipation. They were going for state of the art video as well as still performance (no blackout, 30fps FX jpg, 60fps DX jpg, 120fps DX jpg at 11mp), which required both a sensor that generated a lot of heat, but the new Xpeed 7 processor, which also generates a lot of heat. Other cameras have overheated, especially shooting video, and have been retrofitted with fans.
Heat dissipation is certainly part of it, but the larger battery and hand fit used by many pros are probably the main reasons. The Z9 body is slightly smaller than the D6 and uses the same battery.

I have 3 cameras and 3 lenses. I don't like to change lenses in the field. The weather in MN is so variable and painful in winter that I won't change lenses to save the fingers. Z9, Z6ii, Z6... When shooting wildlife: Z9 on 800PF, Z6ii on 400 f4.5, and Z6 on 24-105. When I'm on a landscape trip, the Z9 and 24-105 go together.

bruce

I have 3 cameras and 3 lenses. I don't like to change lenses in the field. The weather in MN is so variable and painful in winter that I won't change lenses to save the fingers. Z9, Z6ii, Z6... When shooting wildlife: Z9 on 800PF, Z6ii on 400 f4.5, and Z6 on 24-105. When I'm on a landscape trip, the Z9 and 24-105 go together.

bruce
I’m the same way and will hardly ever change a lens in the field

Z9 is my working camera, Z7 as a backup, and a D750 (which my daughter is using). I have a very old Olympus Trip 35 film camera that I used years ago before getting into Nikons. Too many lenses right now....fortunately my wife has no idea how much stuff I have.
Lol same here

Camera wise have the Nikon D810 the D300, and the Panasonic DC-TZ95. My interested also include camcorders for the last 11 years and now on my third which is a Panasonic HV-X1500. In the car also a dashcam and a Nikon L26 if I need to grab a camera

Probably a little hard to believe as I make my living as a working pro photographer but I currently only own one.............the A1. I want a back up to the A1 and considered the A9II but the 24 MP just won't work for me so I'm waiting to see what the A9III will be. If it's 30 MP or more I'll get it as a back up. If not, I'll probably wait for the A1II and buy that as my primary body and just keep the A1 as its back up. My thinking has always been that if my A1 fails on me, even if I'm teaching a workshop or away on a trip I can almost always get a replacement within 24-48 hours anywhere in the U.S. which I can live with. If I were doing an international trip then I'd certainly take two bodies with me.

My wife and I had a trip with a 50lb weight limit each for our luggage total, checked and carry on, for a trip to a remote location in Alaska. We took three camera bodies a Z7ii, Z9 and a Z50. The Z7ii was our shared backup. For major trips we always take a backup body just in case.

I was curious on average how many camera bodies do most serious photographers own? I owned only one up until about 12 years ago and have had two ever since. I almost always take two out with me and enjoy doing so. I have considered getting a third mainly because neither of mine do not focus bracketing but keep talking myself out of it lol. I'm sure there are some that own several bodies but I'm curious what the norm is, especially among members on here.
You guys must have more money than me. I only own 2. I own a D7100 that I've had for about 10 years now and a D5500 that I purchased used in 2020. I like having the instant choice of lenses. Plus, when I am in a blind, I like using the second camera when something unexpected occurs. That way I don't have to waste time removing the other camera from the tripod. I am trying to convince my wife to let me purchase a full frame, like a D850. However, I do own 2 Minoltas from back in the old days of film. They are somewhere in my attic now.

Last edited:
I was curious on average how many camera bodies do most serious photographers own? I owned only one up until about 12 years ago and have had two ever since. I almost always take two out with me and enjoy doing so. I have considered getting a third mainly because neither of mine do not focus bracketing but keep talking myself out of it lol. I'm sure there are some that own several bodies but I'm curious what the norm is, especially among members on here.
Two Mirrorless

Back