How quickly I’ve become obsolete!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Abinoone

Supporting Member
Marketplace
First the Sony A1, then the Nikon Z9, and now the Z8 - what’s a guy (or gal) to do in this tidal wave of mirrorless technology? Just two years ago, I considered myself reasonably current and capable with my two D850s, and a smattering of quality F glass. Now, I feel banished to a backwater bayou with the equivalent of two-string banjos. Somehow, I’ve managed to capture some decent images with my rusty old equipment, but I wonder about all that I’m missing by not spending my daughter’s inheritance on shiny new camera equipment. Surveying all of the recent posts on this forum, it’s hard to find many that aren’t about the new mirrorless cameras. Is there still room for meaningful discussions about “old” technology, or am I just whistling in the wind? 🥸

Well I'm still shooting with: a D6, D500 and Z6 II and am quite happy with that combo. I'm sure I'll own one of the high end mirrorless cameras some day but haven't felt driven to make that jump nor handicapped by my current cameras though I know some images are much harder to capture without some of the cutting edge features and my portfolio doesn't have a lot of those particular kinds of images.

Sure folks are understandably excited about the new technology and it really is great (I've shot with the Z9 and A1 but don't own either) but you don't 'need' the latest technology to capture compelling or marketable images.

I'd also say photo forums tend to be full of folks that are very interested in the latest and greatest which is fine but there an awful lot of working photogs out there that are doing just fine with their dated technology and continue to capture and run businesses on the older gear just fine. I work with several here and as a rule a lot of the local enthusiasts are a couple of technology generations ahead of what the pros I know are shooting.

First the Sony A1, then the Nikon Z9, and now the Z8 - what’s a guy (or gal) to do in this tidal wave of mirrorless technology? Just two years ago, I considered myself reasonably current and capable with my two D850s, and a smattering of quality F glass. Now, I feel banished to a backwater bayou with the equivalent of two-string banjos. Somehow, I’ve managed to capture some decent images with my rusty old equipment, but I wonder about all that I’m missing by not spending my daughter’s inheritance on shiny new camera equipment. Surveying all of the recent posts on this forum, it’s hard to find many that aren’t about the new mirrorless cameras. Is there still room for meaningful discussions about “old” technology, or am I just whistling in the wind? 🥸
Not sure what your gripe really is:

1. You have no more growth in your skills and ability and must rely 100% on technology to bail you out.
2. You lack the skills to be a competent photographer, so need to have technology bail you out.
3. You just MUST have the latest gear.
4. You just want to do your part the help Nikon's financial security.
5. Your daughter, like mine, wouldn't want you to be technologically deficient. !

Last edited:
Not sure what your gripe really is:

1. You have no more growth in your skills and ability and must rely 100% on technology to bail you out.
2. You lack the skills to be a competent photographer, so need to have technology bail you out.
3. You just MUST have the latest gear.
4. You just want to do your part the help Nikon's financial security.
I think that gripe is too strong of a word…the question is about the lack of older body discussion and whether there was still a place for older technology gear. My answer to both is yes…amd the older DSLR gear will take just as good images as it always did…and if a user is fine with that then there is no pressing need to upgrade. But the reality is that technology has moved on and DSLRs are now not where any maker is spending any RfD money. They went mirrorless primarily because it is fewer mechanical parts so smaller bodies can be made…and not because mirrorless is inherently better. The only part of mirrorless that is actually tied to being mirrorless is the EVF…and while that is different from optical VF and some like one or the other better…the advantages of EVF of which there are many need to be considered to see if they make sense for a users style. Actual exposure preview, additional info displayed, live histogram, zooming if one goes to DX mode…all of those come from having the EVF instead of optical…and whether it’s worth it to a user…depends on the user.

Everything outside of the EVF that mirrorless brings is really unrelated to the lack of a mirror…it is just better/faster/more powerful tech as time marched along just like the D6 was better than the D5 was better than the D850, etc and one can make t(e same statement with different models from other brands. That other new tech arrived when it did and of if Nikon had introduced a D860 in 2020 it would have a lot of the other tech in the Zs…but the hardware and software changes just happened at the same time.

Me…the advantages of the EVF make the new hardware tech better and the new software just works seamlessly with the new hardware…so I’m glad I upgraded. What all that stuff does is make shooting more fun…and…gets more keepers on the card which is the real goal.

Last edited:
I think that gripe is too string of a word…the question is about the lack of older body discussion and whether there was still a place for older technology gear. My answer to both is yes…amd the older DSLR gear will take just as good images as it always did…and if a user is fine with that then there is no pressing need to upgrade. But the reality is that technology has moved on and DSLRs are now not where any maker is spending any RfD money. They went mirrorless primarily because it is fewer mechanical parts so smaller bodies can be made…and not because mirrorless is inherently better. The only part of mirrorless that is actually tied to being mirrorless is the EVF…and while that is different from optical VF and some like one or the other better…the advantages of EVF of which there are many need to be considered to see if they make sense for a users style. Actual exposure preview, additional info displayed, live histogram, zooming if one goes to DX mode…all of those come from having the EVF instead of optical…and whether it’s worth it to a user…depends on the user.

Everything outside of the EVF that mirrorless brings is really unrelated to the lack of a mirror…it is just better/faster/more powerful tech as time marched along just like the D6 was better than the D5 was better than the D850, etc and one can make t(e same statement with different models from other brands. That other new tech arrived when it did and of if Nikon had introduced a D860 in 2020 it would have a lot of the other tech in the Zs…but the hardware and software changes just happened at the same time.

Me…the advantages of the EVF make the new hardware tech better and the new software just works seamlessly with the new hardware…so I’m glad I upgraded. What all that stuff does is make shooting more fun…and…gets more keepers on the card which is the real goal.
It's a joke, sir. A joke. Read it and laugh, or at least smile.

I work with several here and as a rule a lot of the local enthusiasts are a couple of technology generations ahead of what the pros I know are shooting.
Indeed.
Most professionnal I know (so people who live from their work) don't run after and don't have latest technology.
In fact most of them admit wealthy hobbyist have much better equipment than they have.

I would stay stop hankering after the latest and greatest and all of tharlt goes away. Wildlife and landscape photography should, IMO, be a byproduct of being out in gorgeous nature, and nature doesn't care whether you capture it on a D60 or a a Z9.

If the tools you have work for you, then stick with it; if not, get what you need, but don't go chasing things for the sake of it, or because an internet forum tells you you need it.

It’s unanswerable. Working pros have been producing outstanding work for the past what? 100 years? My personal favourite was taken in 1984!
Would a working pro need the latest? Probably not, and probably would not have photography high on his hobby list either!
I’m a tech geek and I NEED to have the latest and the best. Doesn’t mean I have a clue how to use the gear though!
if one has the money and can enjoy these things, great!
Now who wants to loan me their Rolls Royce Wraith, pretty please

Last edited:
My only advice is anyone who is generally happy with "old" DSLR technology should count their blessings and stop going on line -- nothing good will come of it. But if DSLR technology is holding you back in some way and you have sufficient disposable income, then buckle up because it's a wild and expensive ride that's not ending anytime soon. ;) :)

Last edited:
Older technology has already been discussed and the majority of the tips and techniques have been worked out, so there's not a lot of need for more discussion. If the D850 does everything you ask of it there's no reason to look elsewhere.

OTOH if the newer technology addresses a limitation you've encountered with your existing equipment it might be time to explore the possibilities.

Maybe you should find some new forums to hang out in? Don't mean this in a hurtful way, but wouldn't one expect a camera forum to focus (no pun intended) on the newest gear? Who would read a review posted today on the D850? These forums help people decide what gear to buy today more than on the gear one already has.
The "old gear" which works fine is still great to use and, in most cases, I always think one is better off spending money on going to amazing places than on new gear. And there are lots of forums where there are discussions on trips and incredible animals one can photograph (with any gear).

Some of the best images I've seen were taken on 4x5 film. One of my better shots was taken with a Nikon FE and 100-300, MF, manual zoom on negative film. In the end, it's the image that counts, not what you took it with. Can the newer gear increase the odds you'll get "the shot" ? Maybe, but skill usually trumps tech.

Maybe you should find some new forums to hang out in? Don't mean this in a hurtful way, but wouldn't one expect a camera forum to focus (no pun intended) on the newest gear? Who would read a review posted today on the D850? These forums help people decide what gear to buy today more than on the gear one already has.
The "old gear" which works fine is still great to use and, in most cases, I always think one is better off spending money on going to amazing places than on new gear. And there are lots of forums where there are discussions on trips and incredible animals one can photograph (with any gear).
A little dismissive don’t you think? I certainly wasn’t complaining about BCG, just noting that much of the recent discussion has been focused on mirrorless, and legitimately asking if there’s still room for meaningful dialogue on DSLRs. I’ll just continue “hanging out” here, thank you very much.

I’d recommend you pick up a mirrorless camera and see what you think. I know for me coming from D850 I fully expected to shoot a mix of mirrorless and DSLR but the mirrorless was so much better I went all in. You only live once and hopefully your daughter can earn her own living so spend away and enjoy all your life’s hard work!

PS did you buy a 600F4 yet?

Hi Abinone

Either you fly first class or your kids will Go ahead and spend your daughter's inheritance, at least some of it. Sounds like you have a good case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). It is your life, enjoy it - especially if having the latest and greatest gives you joyi.

If you are getting the shots you want from your equipment then there is no need to "upgrade" unless you like new technology. However, if you feel you are missing shots due to the possible limitations of a DSLR then by all means "upgrade". The so-called "old technology" is well known and mature and the reason there is less discussion is there is less need for it due the very fact that it is mature and functions very well. Part of the reason for the endless discussions of ML cameras is that it is relatively new and developing technology and people are still learning how best to use it and what they want from it in the future.

I started photography shooting sports with a 4x5 Speedgraphic. I still think that those early pictures were some of the best. Of course I was much more flexible at that time and I could contort myself into any position necessary to get the picture. Importantly, 4x5 Tri-X was, and still is, some of the best film manufactured. LRC and Topaz are just now catching up with it. There is just something special about a large negative crisply exposed.

Having a camera Sherpa would also help these days. 🤣

I just got my first mirrorless the end of February. There are things I like about them, especially seeing an approximation of the exposure in the viewfinder and a live histogram in the viewfinder. While the tracking and eye autofocus are great, they are not magic. Mirrorless does nothing to improve composition or change the creative eye of the photographer. Lighting, capturing a creature doing something interesting and composition are still ”king”. The camera is the tool photographers use. A power saw makes a carpenter more efficient but does nothing to cut the board to the right length. An air powered nailer saves the framer from wearing blisters on his hand but does nothing to make the 2 boards any more nailed together than swinging a hammer.

Is there room for DSLR’s? Absolutely, just like some carpenters prefer to use a hand saw. A great photograph is a great photograph regardless of the camera that captured it. A perfectly exposed and focused bird on a stick is still a photo of a bird on a stick. Mirrorless does some things faster than my reflexes can accomplish and, like I said, the EVF has advantages. Does any of this make me a better photographer? No. Does it improve my keeper rate and allow me to capture subjects that were difficult to impossible before (swallows in flight come to mind)? Yes.

You’re not a dinosaur. Keep capturing beautiful images with the gear you have. Your D850 cameras will continue to enable you to capture beautiful images for the foreseeable future
Jeff

A good or great photograph is 90% behind the lens, 5% equipment, 5% software.

I feel the feeling.
A photographer invests allot of money to have a capable system to earn money. He/she thinks the investment will pay itself for years to come. Suddenly they find out they have to invest again in order to stay current! Why? Not because a D850 can’t get the job done, it’s the customer who interprets latest equipment = better quality. Which is true in a certain sense.
Last time I did an event with the Z9, the advanced AF produced better sharper images.

Back