How quickly I’ve become obsolete!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Well I'm still shooting with: a D6, D500 and Z6 II and am quite happy with that combo. I'm sure I'll own one of the high end mirrorless cameras some day but haven't felt driven to make that jump nor handicapped by my current cameras though I know some images are much harder to capture without some of the cutting edge features and my portfolio doesn't have a lot of those particular kinds of images.

Sure folks are understandably excited about the new technology and it really is great (I've shot with the Z9 and A1 but don't own either) but you don't 'need' the latest technology to capture compelling or marketable images.

I'd also say photo forums tend to be full of folks that are very interested in the latest and greatest which is fine but there an awful lot of working photogs out there that are doing just fine with their dated technology and continue to capture and run businesses on the older gear just fine. I work with several here and as a rule a lot of the local enthusiasts are a couple of technology generations ahead of what the pros I know are shooting.
Dave, I always read and pay attention to your postings because they are always right on point and imbued with common sense and friendliness.
I would love to see your work if you have such an online presence. I have not been able to Google it with success.
Keep 'em coming.
Paul

The bottom line: if you were able to get good shots with the old gear you are STILL able to get good shots with it.
Absolutely true. The problem is that customer expectations will change as the photos enabled by newer technology enter the market. My photos from 40 and 50 years ago, which sold for one-time use in the hundreds of $$$(1970$) are now virtually worthless because customer expectations have changed. If I were still using the Nikon F and its lenses I could still make the same good photos but it would be for my own amusement only because the market for them has shrunken to virtually nothing.

Last edited:
There's no comparison between the replacement of a $350 shutter, and the replacement of a imaging control board that Nikon has priced around $1,200.

If Nikon had a decent warranty with their camera of 3-5 years, then your statement would have merit but they do not.

Mirrorless is not more reliable in terms of technology. Heat kills control boards, and the processors and chipsets running on these Z8/Z9s are absolutely prone to overheat and self-destruct.

The Z8 may be the worst candidate for potential failures given the smaller body size, and reports of it already having heat issues.
You are comparing the retail cost of a replacement part with labor and an appropriate gross margin to the cost of a part during the design of a camera. If the shutter really cost $350, Nikon could not sell a D3500 to a retailer below that price so the retailer makes a suitable gross profit. I recall LensRentals doing a tear down on a lens - and it took 8 hours to disassemble and reassemble to make a minor repair. The best time to change parts is when you can change the part and related systems during design. I recall a well known advocate of sustainable design telling me he could reduce energy consumption of a commercial building or home by 50% at no incremental cost if it was designed properly where higher cost items like high efficiency windows were offset by using a smaller HVAC system due to increased efficiency. Simple things that cost nothing - like duct work at 30-45 degree angles rather than right angles - could improve efficiency by 10%.

No electronics product I'm using has a complementary 3-5 year warranty. Not my phone, laptop, printer, TV, or car. But you can buy extended warranties - which are among the highest margin and most profitable insurance products ever created because design or manufacturing driven repair is relatively uncommon.

Mirrorless does have fewer moving parts and eliminates the need for focus testing and calibration . You're right about the impact of heat on electronics - and the cameras and memory cards are designed to prevent impact from overheating but not eliminate it. It's similar to the way other electronics handle heat - and for highest performance you do a lot more to manage heat issues. Just as bad - consumers often use bottom end memory cards or cards that cause overheating. We'll see what the feedback is like after the camera is actually released rather than occasional comments about pre-production cameras.

There's no comparison between the replacement of a $350 shutter, and the replacement of a imaging control board that Nikon has priced around $1,200.

If Nikon had a decent warranty with their camera of 3-5 years, then your statement would have merit but they do not.

Mirrorless is not more reliable in terms of technology. Heat kills control boards, and the processors and chipsets running on these Z8/Z9s are absolutely prone to overheat and self-destruct.

The Z8 may be the worst candidate for potential failures given the smaller body size, and reports of it already having heat issues.
You may be correct, although as the camera is not in the wild yet, it may need to be seen if that is in fact the case. Certainly, the extra mass of the Z9 and its heat dissipation capacity has been mentioned. I do not know enough about the details of this, nor the replacement costs of CPUs and other electronics to make comment. I have not heard of problems with the Z9 (or Z8) in this respect but of course you may know more. However, as I do not shoot video, even if it were to be an issue as you say, it would not really be a problem for me.... I hope!

You may be correct, although as the camera is not in the wild yet, it may need to be seen if that is in fact the case. Certainly, the extra mass of the Z9 and its heat dissipation capacity has been mentioned. I do not know enough about the details of this, nor the replacement costs of CPUs and other electronics to make comment. I have not heard of problems with the Z9 (or Z8) in this respect but of course you may know more. However, as I do not shoot video, even if it were to be an issue as you say, it would not really be a problem for me.... I hope!

Eric just had a conversation with someone an hour ago on Dpreview about their Z9 overheating from basic use (500 frames in the space of an hour).

Most people who tested the Z8 had production models, not pre-production. I'm not sure any of them were pre-production.

Eric just had a conversation with someone an hour ago on Dpreview about their Z9 overheating from basic use (500 frames in the space of an hour).

Most people who tested the Z8 had production models, not pre-production. I'm not sure any of them were pre-production.
I saw the post on DPReview. There is more involved to cause the camera to heat as described - probably extensive EVF use, wifi, or some other feature being kept active for an extended period.

People don't realize that because the EVF shows an image with the camera settings that is frequently refreshed, it requires significant image processing the entire time it is kept running. It's very different than a DSLR in that regard.

I find that I can better concentrate on composition and the animal's activities when the camera does the drudgery of focusing the lens accurately on the subject's eye. For me this was one of several game-changers the a1 delivers for me.

For example: this encounter between a shrike and its intended meal was made with the a1 & 600 GM hand-held. To focus I kept the bird in the field of view and push the back button. The camera found the bird and locked focus on it. This sequence was made at 20 frames/sec and it's possible I'd have missed the sequence entirely with a slower frame rate and AF that didn't look for 'bird' and lock onto it.
These photos are numbered 3202, 3203, 3204 and 3205 meaning this all happened within a quarter second. It is highly unlikely I'd have this sequence with older technology.
It's a great sequence, but I'm not seeing how this would've been difficult for a DSLR, short of frame rate. The bird is facing you, which means any of the common AF-C DSLR focusing modes would've worked fine IMO. No eye focus necessary. And knowing how Kestrels hover, there was likely very little change in distance, so it's not like it had to track a fast moving subject. Where eye focus is needed is when the eye is out of the focal plane of the rest of the body, particularly if it's behind the rest of the body.

It's a great sequence, but I'm not seeing how this would've been difficult for a DSLR, short of frame rate. The bird is facing you, which means any of the common AF-C DSLR focusing modes would've worked fine IMO. No eye focus necessary. And knowing how Kestrels hover, there was likely very little change in distance, so it's not like it had to track a fast moving subject. Where eye focus is needed is when the eye is out of the focal plane of the rest of the body, particularly if it's behind the rest of the body.
:rolleyes:

Respectfully, you weren't there. The shrike was all over the area, up, down, side-to-side, forward and back. I had trouble keeping the bird in the field of view. Did you notice what the shrike was doing as the snake struck out at it? It's leaping upward to avoid the snake's bite. All this within a quarter of a second. Even if the DSLR were able to track the bird, its frame rate falls far short of recording the sequence (and at 50MP too). And if you've photographed birds much you'd have noticed that the bird's eye is rarely in the same plane of focus as the body, unless the standards for 'same plane' are a bit lax.

Last edited:

Respectfully, you weren't there. The shrike was all over the area, up, down, side-to-side, forward and back. I had trouble keeping the bird in the field of view. Did you notice what the shrike was doing as the snake struck out at it? It's leaping upward to avoid the snake's bite. All this within a quarter of a second. Even if the DSLR were able to track the bird, its frame rate falls far short of recording the sequence (and at 50MP too). And if you've photographed birds much you'd have noticed that the bird's eye is rarely in the same plane of focus as the body, unless the standards for 'same plane' are a bit lax.
You’re nicer than me but well said. I had someone comment on a photo yesterday saying I should tell everyone I cloned out the background yet I didn’t do anything it’s how I shot it. Once I pointed that out I got no apology, they didn’t delete their post etc. it’s easy to be a critic when you can’t achieve what someone else did. 🤷‍♂️

You’re nicer than me but well said. I had someone comment on a photo yesterday saying I should tell everyone I cloned out the background yet I didn’t do anything it’s how I shot it. Once I pointed that out I got no apology, they didn’t delete their post etc. it’s easy to be a critic when you can’t achieve what someone else did. 🤷‍♂️
About 6 months ago I was called fraud by an old lady on the Facebook for a landscape photo, the reason? I took an impossible shot at a well known location.

I planned everything before hand, the weather helped too.

Multiple people called and explained to her, she refused to believe it because she never saw it.

😝

Oliver

About 6 months ago I was called fraud by an old lady on the Facebook for a landscape photo, the reason? I took an impossible shot at a well known location.

I planned everything before hand, the weather helped too.

Multiple people called and explained to her, she refused to believe it because she never saw it.

😝

Oliver
Oliver, thats one reason I don’t do facebook.

Not remotely the same situation. I've shot Kestrels enough to know that they're a relatively easy bird to photograph when they're in hover mode which is very similar to this Shrike's behavior in these shots. The great part about the images was the behavior, not some exceptional camera capability. And I'm sure I could've handled what ever vicious reply to me would've been.

Respectfully, there's clearly very little vertical movement from the bird, and it looks to me like you were far enough away that the entire bird was in focus. So again, no miraculous focusing ability demonstrated here. Great shots, but they had very little to do with the camera.

Respectfully, there's clearly very little vertical movement from the bird, and it looks to me like you were far enough away that the entire bird was in focus. So again, no miraculous focusing ability demonstrated here. Great shots, but they had very little to do with the camera.
No need to continue this aspect of the discussion. Everyone can assess the images with their own perspective.

Let's move on.

Do you realize this is a still image, not a video? The bird's movement was erratic, it was dodging the snake's counter-attack and and no, the entire bird was not in focus, at least not by my standards. See for yourself; this file is not sharpened at all.
DH103205_crop2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I have 2 D850s, 4 D500s with assorted Nikon glass from 600mm to 12-24mm. To migrate to the "latest/greatest" technology I asked myself...What am I getting?....A few more bells & whistles, less weight, faster sped to shoot pictures??...The real question that jumped out at me is "Are the pictures going to look or be any better?" Nikon's as well as every other camera vendor has slick marketing...just like car dealers....Ford/Chevy/Dodge....which is best...Do I need & will I use all the latest innovations...Already on the 850 & 500s I do NOT use video. So if I want to buy a new high end Z body and use my existing lenses...I have to buy a special adapter??? Slick marketing telling me "I will be a better photographer" Wrong, my brain, eye & patience will do that, the camera& lens are merely an extension.

I have 2 D850s, 4 D500s with assorted Nikon glass from 600mm to 12-24mm. To migrate to the "latest/greatest" technology I asked myself...What am I getting?....A few more bells & whistles, less weight, faster sped to shoot pictures??...The real question that jumped out at me is "Are the pictures going to look or be any better?" Nikon's as well as every other camera vendor has slick marketing...just like car dealers....Ford/Chevy/Dodge....which is best...Do I need & will I use all the latest innovations...Already on the 850 & 500s I do NOT use video. So if I want to buy a new high end Z body and use my existing lenses...I have to buy a special adapter??? Slick marketing telling me "I will be a better photographer" Wrong, my brain, eye & patience will do that, the camera& lens are merely an extension.
After migrating to mirrorless I found that DSLRs had been holding me back in numerous ways that I hadn't been aware of. The advantages and the importance of them aren't obvious in the slick marketing, it's using the cameras that makes the differences clear.

The advantages that mirrorless cameras offer really makes things easier and more enjoyable. What the new upper end mirrorless cameras are capable of really do have a noticeable impact. I noticed early on that mirrorless offered advantages and migrated to mirrorless when they were still sort of terrible, really laggy, and didn’t have full sensor pdaf. Now they surpass DSLR in all but a few ways today. With the available adapters to adapt DSLR lenses, there really isn’t a reason mirrorless shouldn’t be your next camera body purchase. It doesn’t mean your DSLR is bad or not good, but I would personally would not replace a DSLR with a new DSLR at this point.

Hi,
Just returned from a trip photographing wild horses and then some flamingos , egrets,landscapes etc.This was my first time really shooting with my new z9 , and had my trusty D850 as back up.
For all of the money I paid for the new z9 and 400 lens , sure it was very nice. But was I blown away my honest answer after taking 20,000 images I would have to say no.Maybe I had too high expectations like going from watching a movie on a VHS tape to watching one in 5k but this was not that, at least for me so far.

Ok, the 20 frames per second, live histogram ( yes d850 has it in live view but never used it ), and sometimes new animwl auto focus tracking for large birds in flight was helpful. But I was hoping for more and maybe after waiting for a year for the camera to be in stock and finally to make the big move to mirrorless I really wanted some celestial sign that this was it.

Even with Steve’s great book on the Z9 which was is helpful and brilliant and cannot recommend enough , and all of the various autofocus settings and permutations recommended which I read religiously; after two days I ended up turning them all off and just using my old school single point auto focus like I do on my D850.
Otherwise, I found instead of it be freeing to think only about my composition as the camera was in charge of autofocus now, I was constantly swearing at the camera “ hey this is not where I want the focus point to be… that is the nose of the horse not the eye …etc”

Yes, I know there are so many versions to try and i did them all , and then sub menus of fast and slow settings to adjust etc but I want to drive the bus not the camera. So for me so far all of the revolutionary auto focus point on animals did little for me.
I am probably clearly in the exception here given all of the YouTubers. influencers , Nikon ambassadors ravings about it all, and believe me I wanted it to be so amazing as this Z9 is not cheap .

Interestingly, a good friend and very renowned wildlife photographer who sells his prints for thousands of dollars, and who I have not asked permission to quote him on so I won’t, told me this after I asked him before I left on the trip , “what new autofocus settings on your high end Sony did you use for the same wildlife I am about to go and shoot as you did ?” His answer, “ I only use single point autofocus, one that I can personally control… for what reason would I want the camera to make that decision for me, I know this technology is probably all great and maybe one day I will change my mind but I know what I want best and that is best served with me deciding exactly where the focus point is .”
My new z9 also locked up and froze in midst of a herd of horses coming right at me so I lost all of those potential images. I then reverted back to my D850 and sure it cranked off a lot less frames per second but it worked like a champ.
How to fix a frozen Z9 you ask , take out the battery and reboot it which is great for after but not when you’re missing great shots happening right in front of you in real time.

I also made the cardinal sin of leaving my D850 camera on the back seat of the car unsecured , yea I know stupid move but I was getting in and out of the car every 1/2 mile or so , so I let it sit there . Of course I then had to slam on my brakes make an emergency stop while the camera flew off the seat hitting the back of front seat with some force and I then heard it land on the floor of the car with a sickening thud.
I crossed my fingers picked it up turned it on and it worked like brand new.

So yes , I love my old D850 it took and still takes great shots, and hopefully one day I will feel that way about the Z9 .

Remember all of the iconic and world famous wildlife and nature photos taken by Paul Nicklen, Sebastio Salgado, Amy Vitale, Nick Brandt, David Yarrow, Tin Man Lee, Frans Lanting etc were all taken on DSLR’s probably less than two years ago. It is not the wand it is the magician. Enjoy the kit you have , don’t believe all of the hype, it is just a tool for the images you have in your mind’s eye.

I don't understand how any could think of a D850 as obsolete. I have ML cameras now, but there's nothing that really disqualifies the D850 as being more than adequate to get results with. It does some things better than my ML bodies. It takes some specialty lenses natively that still aren't available on ML (t/s for instance).

Hi,
Just returned from a trip photographing wild horses and then some flamingos , egrets,landscapes etc.This was my first time really shooting with my new z9 , and had my trusty D850 as back up.
For all of the money I paid for the new z9 and 400 lens , sure it was very nice. But was I blown away my honest answer after taking 20,000 images I would have to say no.Maybe I had too high expectations like going from watching a movie on a VHS tape to watching one in 5k but this was not that, at least for me so far.

Ok, the 20 frames per second, live histogram ( yes d850 has it in live view but never used it ), and sometimes new animwl auto focus tracking for large birds in flight was helpful. But I was hoping for more and maybe after waiting for a year for the camera to be in stock and finally to make the big move to mirrorless I really wanted some celestial sign that this was it.

Even with Steve’s great book on the Z9 which was is helpful and brilliant and cannot recommend enough , and all of the various autofocus settings and permutations recommended which I read religiously; after two days I ended up turning them all off and just using my old school single point auto focus like I do on my D850.
Otherwise, I found instead of it be freeing to think only about my composition as the camera was in charge of autofocus now, I was constantly swearing at the camera “ hey this is not where I want the focus point to be… that is the nose of the horse not the eye …etc”

Yes, I know there are so many versions to try and i did them all , and then sub menus of fast and slow settings to adjust etc but I want to drive the bus not the camera. So for me so far all of the revolutionary auto focus point on animals did little for me.
I am probably clearly in the exception here given all of the YouTubers. influencers , Nikon ambassadors ravings about it all, and believe me I wanted it to be so amazing as this Z9 is not cheap .

Interestingly, a good friend and very renowned wildlife photographer who sells his prints for thousands of dollars, and who I have not asked permission to quote him on so I won’t, told me this after I asked him before I left on the trip , “what new autofocus settings on your high end Sony did you use for the same wildlife I am about to go and shoot as you did ?” His answer, “ I only use single point autofocus, one that I can personally control… for what reason would I want the camera to make that decision for me, I know this technology is probably all great and maybe one day I will change my mind but I know what I want best and that is best served with me deciding exactly where the focus point is .”
My new z9 also locked up and froze in midst of a herd of horses coming right at me so I lost all of those potential images. I then reverted back to my D850 and sure it cranked off a lot less frames per second but it worked like a champ.
How to fix a frozen Z9 you ask , take out the battery and reboot it which is great for after but not when you’re missing great shots happening right in front of you in real time.

I also made the cardinal sin of leaving my D850 camera on the back seat of the car unsecured , yea I know stupid move but I was getting in and out of the car every 1/2 mile or so , so I let it sit there . Of course I then had to slam on my brakes make an emergency stop while the camera flew off the seat hitting the back of front seat with some force and I then heard it land on the floor of the car with a sickening thud.

So yes , I love my old D850 it took and still takes great shots, and hopefully one day I will feel that way about the Z9 .

Remember all of the iconic and world famous wildlife and nature photos taken by Paul Nicklen, Sebastio Salgado, Amy Vitale, Nick Brandt, David Yarrow, Tin Man Lee, Frans Lanting etc were all taken on DSLR’s probably less than two years ago. It is not the wand it is the magician. Enjoy the kit you have , don’t believe all of the hype, it is just a tool for the images you have in your mind’s eye.
I can totally understand your comments here. I’ve had a Z6 for 4 years and love it. Never worried about AF….I guess I’m “old school” in that I don’t feel I need the AF tools that others seem to do. Recently I bought the Hasselblad X2D which is simply marvellous. No AF gimmickry and very few other techs benefits, just a terrific sensor and Hasselblad colour … so we can concentrate on the image. I now have a Z8 on order, but the X2D will be in my hand most often. Simplicity and beauty.

Hi,

I have ordered a Z8 which will be my first mirrorless Nikon. I have outlined my reasoning for this earlier in this thread and I absolutely agree about the D850 and its merits. Fabulous camera! However, there are several things about it that have always annoyed me, the worst of which is the centre bias of the focus points. This was a major reason for buying my D500, also a beautiful camera. The distribution of focus points is much better on this.

I also have a Leica Q2M and a Fujifilm X100V, and in both these cameras, the focus points go right out to the edge of the frame. While these cameras are obviously totally different from the Nikons, I do find myself choosing focus points towards the edge of the frame for compositional reasons, very frequently. This is extremely easy on the Leica and the Fuji. With the D850, I am aware that I frequently focus and reframe to de-centre the composition, or for reasons of speed, frame centrally when I might not want to. Neither of these methods are desirable and I am hoping the the Z8 will allow me full compositional freedom in addition to some of its other perceived advantages.

To echo what lancej has said, with the D850 (and D500) I have never had many problems with focussing on birds (usually single point or 9 point), including the BIF versions! I have not had the advantage of comparing this experience with that of the Z8 yet though!

One other thing; I notice that the Z8 has the button for changing AF configuration in what looks like a much better, more accessible place on the side of the camera. I have always found the positioning of this on all my previous Nikons infuriatingly difficult to find. Perhaps only I have had this problem as I have never heard anyone else mention it!

Back