How to get tack sharp images using long lenses

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Also, FWIW, even though I shoot with an 800mm, almost all of my shots are less than 100ft from the target. And keepers are another thing. For me, I get about 1 in 10 that I think are pretty good (keepers). I'm a believer in a tripod and a good gimbal. I shoot the Z9 and the 800mm 5.6 and the 6.3. The 800mm f/5.6 is my favorite, but both are sharp.

Some very good advice given on this thread. Someone should summarize it into bullet points and make a video. Hey wait....

I shoot with Nikon Z7 and Sigma 150-600. This was from my bedroom window as below freezing here in Vancouver. I find on this lens F7 or 8 is best. To me this is quite sharp.

Attachments

• Eaglesunfinal.jpeg
    Eaglesunfinal.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 5.12.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 5.12.00 PM.png
    300.7 KB · Views: 71
I shoot with Nikon Z7 and Sigma 150-600. This was from my bedroom window as below freezing here in Vancouver. I find on this lens F7 or 8 is best. To me this is quite sharp.
That image looks pretty over processed to me, and doesn't look like it started as particularly sharp. Shooting from your inside warm temp outside is a guarantee to soften an image.

That image looks pretty over processed to me, and doesn't look like it started as particularly sharp. Shooting from your inside warm temp outside is a guarantee to soften an image.
Thank you. I guess all the positive comments I have received from my eagle groups are from people that don’t know photography. A little LR editing. Will have to go back and look at the original RAW. Did not know that about shooting from inside. in my 80’s so afraid of slipping outside these days. Will hope spring brings some better images.

Thank you. I guess all the positive comments I have received from my eagle groups are from people that don’t know photography. A little LR editing. Will have to go back and look at the original RAW. Did not know that about shooting from inside. in my 80’s so afraid of slipping outside these days. Will hope spring brings some better images.
It looks pretty crunchy to me, and lots of color fringing around the trees. I'm not sure if you cropped in super heavily originally, or if you just exported it that small, but the small image size means there's just not that much detail to work with on it.

OK here is something I want to show, not because it was an artistic achievement but is an example of 2 lessons learned here in shooting with a long lens, the 800mm PF.
We were out today near Seattle in the middle of a cold snap.
We saw a small sparrow rooting through dead leaves, apparently finding food there.

I was using the 800 on a monopod with gimbal head. The bird was relatively close, maybe 30-40 ft.

I tried to get it with the Z9's bird subject detection but the background coloring was very close to the bird's color and it could not pick up the bird. So I switched to pinpoint focus and tried to hit the bird's head. The bird was very erratic and hard to pin down.

So I hit it with bursts at 20fps. One of the results is attached.
_GAT1365-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I've nothing to add to all the excellent advice shared in this thread.
Except on the subject of Picture Controls in a MILC, I've not found any challenges with missed nor soft focus which has required tweaking the Picture Control.
Instead, with the Z9 I have been relying on a profile file setup and loaded into camera to show under- and over- exposure in the EVF. This continues to be useful

Last edited:
I was using the 800 on a monopod with gimbal head. The bird was relatively close, maybe 30-40 ft.
30 to 40 ft is not close enough. For a bird such as this Fox Sparrow I'd be much closer to the lens' minimum focus distance, most often in a blind at a spot the bird finds attractive such as a bathing spot or feeding spot. Think of cropping as a necessary evil, the more you crop the greater the evil.

Hold your breath, be very still, gently press the shutter and then practice, practice, practice. You will end up seeing what works and what doesn't as you can see it in your review shots on the rear screen at 100%. You will probably need to check shots on your computer for critical sharpness results and this is why I always rattle off a number of shots with high fps. I have managed to get sharp shots handheld with the 800 pf at 1/40sec completely unsupported. It helps to have a very stationary subject as well!

Z9 + 800 pf, 1/40s f/6.3 at 800.0mm iso720

original.jpg

Here is the crop I wanted:

original.jpg

With VR/IBIS I usually will go for a shutter speed of about 2-3 stops under 1/focal length but may venture lower if I know I nailed a few at that speed. I only do this if I want to keep ISO low or where I am sure the subject will be still for a second or so. If I am shooting a moving bird, then I go above 1/focal length. If I am shooting BIF than it may be 1/3200 or more.

After a while, you can get the feel for what you can get away with on a particular lens and what the subject is doing. These are probably cropped a little as well. All free standing no support.

Z9 + 800 pf, 1/320s f/6.3 at 800.0mm iso800

original.jpg

Z8 + 800 pf, 1/160s f/6.3 at 800.0mm iso450

original.jpg

Z8 + 800 pf, 1/125s f/6.3 at 800.0mm iso450

original.jpg
Lance, You have succeeded in getting a killer shot of the elusive green heron! My nemesis……well done👍

One difference between me and bird experts is that everything is internalized and automatic. I might have the same knowledge in 'book learning' but application in a dynamic shooting system just takes the 10,000 hours of practice.

OK here is something I want to show, not because it was an artistic achievement but is an example of 2 lessons learned here in shooting with a long lens, the 800mm PF.
We were out today near Seattle in the middle of a cold snap.
We saw a small sparrow rooting through dead leaves, apparently finding food there.

I tried to get it with the Z9's bird subject detection but the background coloring was very close to the bird's color and it could not pick up the bird. So I switched to pinpoint focus and tried to hit the bird's head. The bird was very erratic and hard to pin down.

So I hit it with bursts at 20fps. One of the results is attached.View attachment 79148
Your sparrow actually appears to be a hermit thrush. :) And here's another tip to keep in mind for focusing on small/difficult-to-see subjects in the frame. Shifting from FX to DX mode enlarges the birds eyes, making it a bit easier for the AF to detect them.

Last edited:
I am not much on bird identification, however after reviewing my Sibley I agree with ARClark that this is a Hermit Thrush. My friend ran Merlin on the image and it id'd it as a Fox sparrow.

I probably overestimated the distance to the bird, could have been closer to 20 ft.

I like the idea of switching to dx mode to help autofocus. However, this bird was not small in the frame and I have gotten much smaller subjects to track well. I have seen the background affect bird id before and this bird at times was almost invisible against the background, often burying itself in the leaves and foliage.

In any event when I switched to narrow point focus I was able to get close enough and rapid fire bursts got me a few.

My friend was shooting the same bird with the 600 pf (no bird subject in that camera yet) and he was not able to get a useful shot.

I want to emphasize we were really lacking on viable subjects yesterday. There were a lot of birds out, but we were exploring territory unknown to us and we could not get access to get close enough. We were looking for anything at that point.

Don't depend on forums for critcal image reviews. So many respond with the typical meaningless comments; "awesome, amazing, beautiful, absolutly stunning, etc.", no matter the quality.

Don't depend on forums for critcal image reviews. So many respond with the typical meaningless comments; "awesome, amazing, beautiful, absolutly stunning, etc.", no matter the quality.

The critique section here gives honest feedback, if one's skin is a little thick. Most folks will give positives and areas of improvement.

Your sparrow actually appears to be a hermit thrush. :) And here's another tip to keep in mind for focusing on small/difficult-to-see subjects in the frame. Shifting from FX to DX mode enlarges the birds eyes, making it a bit easier for the AF to detect them.
It’s a Fox Sparrow.

This is a Hermit Thrush, note the difference in the bill shape:
catgut15.jpg

Fox Sparrow for comparison:
pasili10.jpg

It's much easier for the camera to find and focus on the bird if the background is less cluttered. You can help the camera by getting down closer to the bird's eye level so that the background is farther from the desired focus plane.

Last edited:
It’s a Fox Sparrow.

This is a Hermit Thrush, note the difference in the bill shape:
Fox Sparrow for comparison:
It's much easier for the camera to find and focus on the bird if the background is less cluttered. You can help the camera by getting down closer to the bird's eye level so that the background is farther from the desired focus plane.
If you were to specify Sooty Fox Sparrow, I could concede. Fox sparrow’s in NC, where I live, are winter resident Red Fox Sparrows, which bear little resemblance to Hermit Thrushes. But having just looked up fox sparrows, I see there are several variants, with the sooty variant bearing a very close resemblance to the HT, especially in the shot presented earlier.

A reminder about atmospheric distortion, as I found out to my cost yesterday: atmospheric distortion due to temperature differentials happens in cold weather, as well as hot weather. A whole Coyote shoot rendered soft due to this.

A reminder about atmospheric distortion, as I found out to my cost yesterday: atmospheric distortion due to temperature differentials happens in cold weather, as well as hot weather. A whole Coyote shoot rendered soft due to this.
This is very true. As I shoot with the 800PF I find shimmer/distortion much much more frequently in the winter than the summer

Yep. I find it extremely noticeable in the winter when people shoot from warm areas into cold (from their car, or house) or don't allow the gear time to cool, or in the summer shooting over water. Concrete in the winter can also do it.

Back