How to get tack sharp images using long lenses

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hold your breath, be very still, gently press the shutter and then practice, practice, practice. You will end up seeing what works and what doesn't as you can see it in your review shots on the rear screen at 100%. You will probably need to check shots on your computer for critical sharpness results and this is why I always rattle off a number of shots with high fps. I have managed to get sharp shots handheld with the 800 pf at 1/40sec completely unsupported. It helps to have a very stationary subject as well!

Z9 + 800 pf, 1/40s f/6.3 at 800.0mm iso720

original.jpg

Here is the crop I wanted:

original.jpg

With VR/IBIS I usually will go for a shutter speed of about 2-3 stops under 1/focal length but may venture lower if I know I nailed a few at that speed. I only do this if I want to keep ISO low or where I am sure the subject will be still for a second or so. If I am shooting a moving bird, then I go above 1/focal length. If I am shooting BIF than it may be 1/3200 or more.

After a while, you can get the feel for what you can get away with on a particular lens and what the subject is doing. These are probably cropped a little as well. All free standing no support.

Z9 + 800 pf, 1/320s f/6.3 at 800.0mm iso800

original.jpg

Z8 + 800 pf, 1/160s f/6.3 at 800.0mm iso450

original.jpg

Z8 + 800 pf, 1/125s f/6.3 at 800.0mm iso450

original.jpg
Ok, now you're just showing off 😃 😃

Yep. I find it extremely noticeable in the winter when people shoot from warm areas into cold (from their car, or house) or don't allow the gear time to cool, or in the summer shooting over water. Concrete in the winter can also do it.
As well as frozen water, such as the drainage ditch I was shooting over. In hindsight, I should have considered that there would have been temp differences between the frozen water and the cranberry field where the coyote was, especially as the sun was beating down, but there we go.

Thank you very much for your kind comment, Larry. However, this is a juvenile Striated Heron, which is an Australian Heron.
Egads! It resembles a green heron…yet another dwarf heron to thwart my futile attempts at stealth.. still… well done Lance..👍

Back