How to handle people harrassing wildlife

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt N

Supporting Member
Marketplace
On my recent trip to Florida I witnessed 3 cases of people harrassing the wildlife. Maybe my defiinition of "harrassing" is too strong...I don't know.

1. While visiting the burrowing owls, I watched a woman with out-of-state tags walk up to the owl's hole, stick her cell phone down to the owls face (maybe 18" away) to snap photos. Then, wave her arms and make noises to try to make it move around. I guess the owl guarding the hole like a statue wasn't interesting enough for her. She was right next to the hole and could have collapsed the burrow.

2. At Circle B Bar, I heard a little girl scream and turned back to see a crowd of people pointing at something in the grass. Someone was 100' away from the crowd, but ran very quickly over there to see what they were pointing at. They then stepped off the path into the tall grass (probably 2 ft off the path into the grass) to pick up a 4 ft. snake. They held it up high for the crowd to see, holding it by the neck behind the head with the full length dangling. I don't know if they wanted to show off that they weren't afraid to pick up snakes or just hold it up for them to snap cell phone pics. They then dropped it back into the grass and took photos of it.

3. There is a boardwalk path leading up to the visitor center at Circle B Bar. A couple feet from the walkway was an Armadillo feeding on an ant hill. I saw him as I left the center and there was a crowd of people watching it. I stayed to see what they would do. A teenage boy (maybe 16-18) was there and his little sister kept saying, "touch it, touch it". His parents were watching. As he reached down to "pet" the Armadillo, I said to him in a stern voice: "Don't mess with the Armadillo". He quickly retracted his hand and they moved on. The parents said nothing.

I am not a confrontational person, but years ago I confronted someone who was harrassing an animal and it didn't go so well. The situation escalated and then the animal is in more danger. So I don't know if it's best to intervene or not. In the case of the woman and the owls, she got bored and left. Intervening seemed like it would have created a bad scene. The Amadillo was a little different and seemed like my warning was okay. The snake was just dissappointing...so so dissappointing.

How should you handle an active scene with someone harrassing wildlife? Do all of these scenarios constitute harrassing wildlife (I think so, but maybe wrong)?

Last edited:
#1 seems like a relatively clear case of a woman crossing the line.

#2 makes me feel like I need to have been there. Maybe it was more clear to you, but as described I am left wondering if the snake was acting aggressively towards some people and that even if it turned into a photo op the main point of what the other guy was doing was to protect someone or to try to get the snake into a place where both it and the people were less likely to experience some kind of danger.

#3 is a case where I think I'd want to know more about the overall setting. I can imagine locations where it may be relatively normal or commonplace for humans and animals to have more "direct" interactions which would be more inappropriate in many other environments.

Matt, Times and people have changed. Unfortunately for the most part I attempt to avoid confrontation. But sometimes they cross the line. If their actions could possibly cause the bird or animal to react in an aggressive manner and possibly attack. This could result in the bird, animal to be destroyed. This is when I’d definitely say something. I’m sure that all of us have had someone with a cellphone or tablet walk in front of us to get a picture. Then there’s poor parenting, I witnessed a child teasing a dear in a parking lot in Glacier N.P. and mom stood by and did nothing, the dear took charge raised up on her rear legs and went after the little boy with her front hoofs. How many times have you had a ranger draw the line by saying stay behind the tripod with the big camera on it. We all need to lead by example when in public.

If you're in a park or other protected area, tell a ranger or person who works there. Otherwise, I usually just shake my head and move on. People are crazy and you never know with whom you're dealing if they will understand they were harassing the animal or if they will stick a knife blade between your ribs. I think the chances for both are about even. In the Smoky Mountains National Park, I saw some fools throwing rocks in a tree to get the 3 bear cubs to come around to the other side for a better photo. I took their photo and a photo of the RV they got out of. A mile or so down the road was the Cades Cove visitor center. I showed a photo of the RV and the people throwing rocks to a ranger. He pulled the RV over. Not sure what happened after that.

I agree with Coombs
#1 seems pretty cut and dried. You could get her photo and / or a photo of the license plate number and notify Florida DFW but not sure they would do anything.
#2 what kind of snake was it? If it was a boa or a python. If so, then those are invasive and killing them is legit in that state. It may be a clear case of harassment but I wasn't there.
#3 - well, it would have served the brat right if the animal bit him. He would probably not make that mistake again.

Jeff

Thanks for the feedback so far. Case #2 is less clear, but this is a location where alligators are beside the trail and the rules are pretty clear that you are to watch out abd not engage with any wildlife. I’m pretty sure it was a black snake (not venomous) and the person dropped it right back where they picked it up in the grass (not moving it away from the crowd). Either way, I guess my biggest question was about what to do in clear cases (like #1) and it’s tricky because I don’t want to be attacked by a human who didn’t have a problem harassing wildlife. But I also feel like if we don’t protect the animals (that we’ve taken habitat from), then who will?

All of those scenarios are unacceptable. I'm an old fart and the older I get the less tolerance I have for ignorant people, and the more likely I am to intervene. It never goes well. I do try to temper my response but.... To make real impact you'll need to make your case to whatever entity has legal jurisdiction. Take pictures, video. Get license plate numbers. Orcas are my main interest and harassment by boaters is, unfortunately, a common occurrence. I get pictures of the boat, with numbers, video if I can, and report to local officials.

If you don't want a confrontation don't say anything directly to the person, especially to a woman accompanied by a man. I've often muttered something under my breath loud (maybe that shouldn't be called under my breath) enough to be heard by the idiot/jerk/a** h**e (whichever you prefer). Does it do any good? Who knows but it makes me feel a little better.

On my recent trip to Florida I witnessed 3 cases of people harrassing the wildlife. Maybe my defiinition of "harrassing" is too strong...I don't know.

1. While visiting the burrowing owls, I watched a woman with out-of-state tags walk up to the owl's hole, stick her cell phone down to the owls face (maybe 18" away) to snap photos. Then, wave her arms and make noises to try to make it move around. I guess the owl guarding the hole like a statue wasn't interesting enough for her. She was right next to the hole and could have collapsed the burrow.

2. At Circle B Bar, I heard a little girl scream and turned back to see a crowd of people pointing at something in the grass. Someone was 100' away from the crowd, but ran very quickly over there to see what they were pointing at. They then stepped off the path into the tall grass (probably 2 ft off the path into the grass) to pick up a 4 ft. snake. They held it up high for the crowd to see, holding it by the neck behind the head with the full length dangling. I don't know if they wanted to show off that they weren't afraid to pick up snakes or just hold it up for them to snap cell phone pics. They then dropped it back into the grass and took photos of it.

3. There is a boardwalk path leading up to the visitor center at Circle B Bar. A couple feet from the walkway was an Armadillo feeding on an ant hill. I saw him as I left the center and there was a crowd of people watching it. I stayed to see what they would do. A teenage boy (maybe 16-18) was there and his little sister kept saying, "touch it, touch it". His parents were watching. As he reached down to "pet" the Armadillo, I said to him in a stern voice: "Don't mess with the Armadillo". He quickly retracted his hand and they moved on. The parents said nothing.

I am not a confrontational person, but years ago I confronted someone who was harrassing an animal and it didn't go so well. The situation escalated and then the animal is in more danger. So I don't know if it's best to intervene or not. In the case of the woman and the owls, she got bored and left. Intervening seemed like it would have created a bad scene. The Amadillo was a little different and seemed like my warning was okay. The snake was just dissappointing...so so dissappointing.

How should you handle an active scene with someone harrassing wildlife? Do all of these scenarios constitute harrassing wildlife (I think so, but maybe wrong)?
If they’re dumb enough to do these things, they’re most likely not going to listen to me anyway, so I usually just bite my tongue and move on. On occasion, when children are involved, I’ll use it as a teaching moment, like when I saw kids chasing pikas on a small talus slope and asked them if they’d like to see the pikas through my camera lens, then talked to them about what pikas are all about.

Last edited:
#1 was illegal as well as unethical. You should have and I would have told her I was calling the cops. Those owls are protected there.
#2 was probably unethical but also probably didn't have much lasting impact on the snake. The guy could have got bit but that's on him.
#3 was a dumb teenager. I probably would have mentioned that armadillos can carry leprosy.

#1 Quietly let the air out of two of her tires. That should keep her busy and the animals safe for at least the rest of the day.

#2 You just have to hope the snake gets a bit.

#3 I think you did well. Also didn't know Armadillos ate ants and I've live in Texas all my life!

Now if it's a bear being harassed from a safe distance scream OMG, it's the killer bear, run!

This is all said in jest of course, sort of...

It's a slippery slope for sure. People have real attitudes these days and you never know if or when it will escalate. I had a situation at a zoo a few years back that ended well. There was a Green Iguana (about 6') on display in an open pit. Walls were 3' tall, easy to reach over. Signs were posted, do not touch "I eat fingers". (The zoo has a sense of humor). Up runs a toddler with young mom and dad in tow. Said toddler proceeds to repeatedly yell "I want to touch it, I want to touch it". Dad was standing farther back, mom was behind the kid. Mom said he couldn't but the kid just kept yelling, getting more insistent. After a bit, mom relented and lifted the kid up so he could reach in. Just then, the kid saw a small, kid's ballcap that was left hanging on the picket fence that was part of the enclosure wall and asked what it was. Without hesitation, I said "It's all that's left of the last kid to touch the iguana." The kid withdrew his hand, mom put him down and gave me a dirty look. I looked at dad and he was trying sooooo hard not to bust out laughing. mom saw him and her disgust with me shifted to anger with him.

of the situations you described, probably the only one I would have said anything on is the owl. They are protected by law and she could receive a fine and or jail time for getting too close. It is possible she didn’t know that or fully understand the owls. I would have politely let her know they are protected and you’re supposed to stay 20‘ away from them. If that went well, maybe provide some additional facts about the owl and hope she doesn’t do it again or will even say something if she sees someone do similar. If not, just lie and say you saw someone get arrested for it last week and wanted to let her know. 😊

I’ve seen or heard about lots of dumb things people have done and also about many situations where people get combative. Most people don’t want to be “yelled at” and will get defensive so like you said it often makes the situation worse and often not worthwhile.

People can be jerks as the OP posts. I try not to get involved but (in the past) I have intervened once or twice, mostly to no avail accompanied by an argument. I'm not sure saying anything results in any positive change, I think it's more apt to get the person defensive and unable to reason it out. At least that was my experience. That said, if I were built like a linebacker I'd probably be more assertive.

Here's another example of "Me First" people....Viera Wetlands was closed to vehicular traffic because some disgusting self serving folks would block the road and not let folks pass....including the maintenance folks who run the place. Those few "Me First" folks were enough for them to close it off for everyone (I've actually witnessed this a couple of times, it is sad). In one case it escalated into a confrontation with the parked driver and this elderly Florida woman right behind him who was screaming at him and flipping him off (I was right behind her and this guy didn't move for 5 minutes or so, just pathetic).

Last edited:
Well, From a different point of view, I’m blaming the cellphone manufacturer for not including a long enough lens 😀

It’s hard to take pictures from unethical behavior while carrying a long prime with the AF set to Animals… lol…
——
When I see kids behaving unfairly, I would talk to them.
Adults? Talk to authorities - if you’re in the mood to spend time.

...I am not a confrontational person, but years ago I confronted someone who was harrassing an animal and it didn't go so well. The situation escalated and then the animal is in more danger. So I don't know if it's best to intervene or not....

How should you handle an active scene with someone harrassing wildlife?...

Below is quoted from someone likely smarter, certainly more highly educated than me:
Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice...Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears...when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. In all this the stupid person...is utterly self-satisfied and, being easily irritated, becomes dangerous by going on the attack...

There's a big difference in someone who is disturbing wildlife out of ignorance vs out of stupidity. It's sometimes discernable by politely/humbly offering factual information on how their behavior may be harmful or perhaps that they are violating the law. If such information is well received then their behavior is likely out of ignorance. If the approach is rebuffed then per above it's likely stupidity and proceeding further is at one's own peril. Of course ignorance and stupidity are not mutually exclusive. So the ignorant person may also respond poorly.

On the other hand, if the person is doing something that doesn't meet your personal code of ethics but you can't come up a factual reason why the person's behavior is harmful and/or illegal then what's to be said or done?

I have seen many people recommend taking video of the incident and show the rangers. I have heard that they will follow up when they can. The consequences vary from just a minor talking-to all the way to being banned from the park. Not that it would stop anyone doing such behaviors, though. In this day and time that would be the best thing to do unless an opportunity presents itself to talk them down from foolish behavior.

Once upon a time I was in charge of law enforcement for a land management agency. When we encountered a violator it was typical that they had a long string of previous violations: everything from under-age drinking, to driving on closed roads, to aggravated assault -- for many people (far more than you'd think) breaking the rules is a way of life. Never hesitate to gather information (including photos) and then inform authorities if you see something that could result in an enforcement action -- just don't tell the violator you're going to do that, they might just be someone who wouldn't hesitate to harm you.

This was told to me by a Yellowstone Park Ranger (in the late 80's). Since it was a Ranger I believe this story...but maybe I'm gullible....
A couple wanted a picture of their child sitting on a bison so they proceeded to put the kid on the Bison. The Bison went over to some shrubs and gently shook the kid off. Then it proceeded to gore and maul the father, who was then airlifted to a hospital in critical condition (tho he did survive).

So, why was the Bison gentle on the kld yet maul the dad?
I can only conclude they aren't so dumb....

In some ways I regret not saying something to the woman with the owls. However, that was the situation I felt was most volatile. She was there with 3 other men and I was there with my wife...very out-numbered. Based on my assessment of the scene, their size and dimeaner, I felt it best to keep my mouth shut and hope they would move on. She got bored quickly and they did move on. I guess I should have taken video and called authorities, so I know for next time (hoping there isn't a next time).

In some ways I regret not saying something to the woman with the owls. However, that was the situation I felt was most volatile. She was there with 3 other men and I was there with my wife...very out-numbered. Based on my assessment of the scene, their size and dimeaner, I felt it best to keep my mouth shut and hope they would move on. She got bored quickly and they did move on. I guess I should have taken video and called authorities, so I know for next time (hoping there isn't a next time).
SOmetimes keeping your mouth shut is the right thing (especially in today's environment). I think you made a wise choice given the company she had.....

People can be crazy and potentially violent if confronted. Getting in their face can be personally dangerous.

The human species is to put it mildly not kind to wildlife. For those interested in this subject I recommend the book "The Sixth Extinction".

The point I am making is that the problem is much greater than a single individual and you are not going to solve it by confronting one person.

Your wildlife photography promotes an understanding and appreciation for the value of having wild creatures share our planet. Be safe and keep supplying light to pixels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back