How to handle people harrassing wildlife

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
... I mentioned to a woman that Cheetos were probably not a very healthy thing to feed a pelican, and she took great offense. She did stop feeding the bird junk food, though. :)
I offered my birdseed to a woman who was feeding bread to the local ducks (causes a permanent wing disability) and she ignored the birdseed. Her ego got in the way of the ducks' health.

I agree...#1 was over the line.

For #3, you could have reminded the lad that armadillos are carriers / may be naturally infected with the bacteria that causes leprosy. I'm sure the effect would have been the same :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

... her dog was more controllable off the lead !!!!
That's true down here in Florida, for the alligators. I'm fairly sure they prefer their canines off of a leash.

But even with a dog on a leash, it is not smart at all to walk them some places, especially around water down here. That is why in many places, pets are prohibited.

I've been on a dock with several humans walking on it and there wasn't a gator in sight. When a dog walked out on the dock, several gators popped up to the water's surface. I'm guessing to see if there was a meal to be had.

The problem is that in most cases I think these people absolutely know they are pushing it or are over the line. When they are called out, they are embarrassed and don't want to look like a fool, so they lash about in an attempt to validate an indefensible position. That's what makes saying something so unpredictable.

The tack I take when I see people doing stupid stuff in Yellowstone or Grand Teton is to tell them "hey, I don't really care, but I just wanted to let you know, the rangers will fine you for that, maybe even ban you from the park, and there are people with cameras all over taking photos and video of you, so the odds are, someone's going to report it."

A few years ago we were in the forest in Borneo looking primarily at orangutans. There were a couple of tourists harassing them trying to get their attention. Just as I was telling my daughter we should trail back just in case things got complicated (if truly upset, the orangutans would not stop to ask who was friend or foe), an older gentleman asked the trouble makers to cut it out. They raised their voice at him and asked him to mind his business. But he reacted quickly by pointing in my direction and making up a story that I was a photographer hired by the reserve and that I also regularly photographed trouble makers, whose photos were given to the airport police so that they could make sure trouble makers paid their fines before flying off.

What he said clearly made no sense, but because it caught those people off guard they just looked at my camera gear and left. I think they didn't even process that I was with an 8 year-old in tow.

There are many stories of people dying from stupid acts with Bison, Moose, Bears and other "cuddly" animals in Yellowstone. I always wonder what they might have been thinking...
A couple of years ago some idiots picked up a bison calf because they thought it was 'cold'. The put it in their car and took it to the ranger's station. It had to be destroyed because mom wouldn't take it back. My only regret is that dad didn't stomp them. I hate stupidity.

Being fairly new to this, I'm learning what people will do to take a photograph. So far, it hasn't reach the depths of some examples here, but these two things happened in the last week:

1. There was two of us watching this coyote asleep in a patch of grass, approx. 10m off the trail. After about 30 minutes, this couple turned up and we waited for well over an hour. After a while, the couple began to get impatient and started to loudly break bundles of sticks and walk on the brambles on the edge of the trail to try and wake the coyote up so he would do something.
2. Today, I was out looking for Northern Pygmy Owls and there were a few people about. It was getting late and one of them pulled out his phone and started playing owl calls. It got the owl calling back, but it didn't make an appearance. As creatures that operate on stealth, I'm not sure artificially encouraging them to call back is a particularly good move.

Personally, I would never dream of doing these things, but I'm not sure they are serious enough to start a potential confrontation. Furthermore, I don't profess to know enough to speak to them factually, so that's on me, and something I'll research, so I can say something next time.

I was at Bosque del Apache this weekend. There is a very obvious sign at the entry booth and entrance to the loops. However, in the three days I saw numerous dogs in the area where th e loops were. The ones I saw out of the loop were by the rest rooms on the north loop and by the Boardwalk Lagoon. Most of the dogs I saw were in the cars or trucks with their heads out of the windows.

Being fairly new to this, I'm learning what people will do to take a photograph. So far, it hasn't reach the depths of some examples here, but these two things happened in the last week:

1. There was two of us watching this coyote asleep in a patch of grass, approx. 10m off the trail. After about 30 minutes, this couple turned up and we waited for well over an hour. After a while, the couple began to get impatient and started to loudly break bundles of sticks and walk on the brambles on the edge of the trail to try and wake the coyote up so he would do something.
2. Today, I was out looking for Northern Pygmy Owls and there were a few people about. It was getting late and one of them pulled out his phone and started playing owl calls. It got the owl calling back, but it didn't make an appearance. As creatures that operate on stealth, I'm not sure artificially encouraging them to call back is a particularly good move.

Personally, I would never dream of doing these things, but I'm not sure they are serious enough to start a potential confrontation. Furthermore, I don't profess to know enough to speak to them factually, so that's on me, and something I'll research, so I can say something next time.
It’s my understanding that using calls, particularly with owls, can be very dangerous for the birds. Owls are very territorial, and it may think that there’s another owl that it needs to ward off. This takes its focus away from hunting, feeding young, or tending to a nest. Also, larger raptors can prey on the smaller owl. So giving away its location can be potentially fatal. In my experience, people who use bird calls from their cell phone are just ignorant to these facts. I don’t think they’re trying to harm the animal, and they probably do care if they understood the consequences. Perhaps in that situation, kindly informing them of these consequences could make a difference. But as with my original scenarios, it’s hard to tell how people will react, and you need to judge each situation individually.

The tack I take when I see people doing stupid stuff in Yellowstone or Grand Teton is to tell them "hey, I don't really care, but I just wanted to let you know, the rangers will fine you for that, maybe even ban you from the park, and there are people with cameras all over taking photos and video of you, so the odds are, someone's going to report it."
I know nowt about the USA when it comes 'confrontation' but what you say makes sense, in that it defuses the 121 confrontation(?) and makes it a firm but casual conversation that one might hope the offending party will take notice of???

Sadly, such poor behaviour is IMO the same as the "entitlement mentality" and such entitled people see nothing but their own sense of "me" and only "me".

I have been following this thread, and I now see the possibility of a "slippery slope" in terms of defining "harassment" of wildlife. People trying to get selfies with bison is an order of magnitude more egregious than playing bird calls, no? I will add that during my Sunday walk with my wife at a nearby shoreline, I was dismayed to see that lots of shorebirds seemed to have a fairly generous "approach distance," i.e., just walking by at a distance of even fifty or more yards they would flush, fly around in a group, then come back to the original spot. Were my wife and I "harassing" these birds? I would hate to think so, but one could view it that way, inasmuch as our behavior caused them to expend energy that otherwise would have been saved. At home, when I put out bird seed to our feeder and the birds all scatter in terror, my wife refers to me as "The Big Scary Monster."

I have been following this thread, and I now see the possibility of a "slippery slope" in terms of defining "harassment" of wildlife. People trying to get selfies with bison is an order of magnitude more egregious than playing bird calls, no? I will add that during my Sunday walk with my wife at a nearby shoreline, I was dismayed to see that lots of shorebirds seemed to have a fairly generous "approach distance," i.e., just walking by at a distance of even fifty or more yards they would flush, fly around in a group, then come back to the original spot. Were my wife and I "harassing" these birds? I would hate to think so, but one could view it that way, inasmuch as our behavior caused them to expend energy that otherwise would have been saved. At home, when I put out bird seed to our feeder and the birds all scatter in terror, my wife refers to me as "The Big Scary Monster."
If you're referring to me, I agree: However, as someone replied above, using artificial bird calls can be harmful for some birds, so should be avoided.

It’s true that there is a spectrum. I like to think of it this way: I don’t like crowds so when people get near me, I move away. But I wouldn’t say the crowd is harassing. This is similar to your birds example. On the other hand, if I person came up to me and touched me intentionally (unwanted touching), I would consider that harassment. If someone came over and started yelling at me, waving their arms and got in my space, that is harassment. If someone came too close to my home, that is a problem. And if someone picked me up and dangled me around, that’s assault. All of those things happened in my examples. So my distinction is that if a person did it to me and I felt harrassed, then you shouldn’t do it to an animal.

There are extremists on both sides. For some people, if the behavior of the wildlife changes in any way because of your presence, you're harassing them - even if they just turn their head to look your way. So, to them, you would have been harassing the birds. On the other end of the spectrum you have the people trying to stick their kid on a bison for a selfie.

I like to think that the middle ground makes the most sense.

There's no way to enjoy wildlife without having an impact on them. I try to keep that impact minimal but, generally speaking, if an animal runs off or flies away because I'm photographing it, I don't think it's the end of the world. I mean, animals run, birds fly, stuff happens. Sure, I'm not happy with myself for misjudging the situation and pushing the animal too far, but things happen and I try to do better in the future.

There are extremists on both sides. For some people, if the behavior of the wildlife changes in any way because of your presence, you're harassing them - even if they just turn their head to look your way. So, to them, you would have been harassing the birds. On the other end of the spectrum you have the people trying to stick their kid on a bison for a selfie.

I like to think that the middle ground makes the most sense.

There's no way to enjoy wildlife without having an impact on them. I try to keep that impact minimal but, generally speaking, if an animal runs off or flies away because I'm photographing it, I don't think it's the end of the world. I mean, animals run, birds fly, stuff happens. Sure, I'm not happy with myself for misjudging the situation and pushing the animal too far, but things happen and I try to do better in the future.
I was having a similar conversation in the field last week: there's a saltwater marsh here in Vancouver where we have short eared owls and on a nice day you could have 20/30 photographers there. I don't like crowds so try and limit experiences like this, especially if they cause the animal stress: However, in this case, the owls have a huge expense of wetland to fly about in, much of which is well out of view, so its not like the crowd is cornering the animal, or limiting its choices.

I was having a similar conversation in the field last week: there's a saltwater marsh here in Vancouver where we have short eared owls and on a nice day you could have 20/30 photographers there. I don't like crowds so try and limit experiences like this, especially if they cause the animal stress: However, in this case, the owls have a huge expense of wetland to fly about in, much of which is well out of view, so its not like the crowd is cornering the animal, or limiting its choices.
Exactly. Some would say the crowd is "harassing" the owl - and technically where the crowd is standing is now an area it has no access to and is likely avoiding. However, there's also value in having people enjoy wildlife - it helps conservation efforts. So, at the end of the day, what amounts to an incredibly minor inconvenience for the animal is a fair tradeoff IMO.

Now, if those same people were tossing it mice, or throwing stones at it to get it to fly, that crosses a pretty clear line.

As additional food for thought, anywhere with trails likely has birds nearby. But people are expected to walk on them. They might startle birds, but the birds can ultimately adjust to people being nearby, or fly off into deeper woods/etc. Nobody complains too much about those types of trails.

My general guideline is don't intentionally push a bird away from natural habits (or feeders that have been long set up for them), and don't artificially draw them in with live bait, etc. Also with larger wildlife, just don't be dumb and try to pet it. Maintain safe distance.

Exactly. Some would say the crowd is "harassing" the owl - and technically where the crowd is standing is now an area it has no access to and is likely avoiding. However, there's also value in having people enjoy wildlife - it helps conservation efforts. So, at the end of the day, what amounts to an incredibly minor inconvenience for the animal is a fair tradeoff IMO.

Now, if those same people were tossing it mice, or throwing stones at it to get it to fly, that crosses a pretty clear line.

In addition, it's important to remember not to practice anthropomorphism as well as not to forget that we are part of the animal world (our disconnection from nature notwithstanding).

A bird we are trying to photograph (presumably with a telephoto) might suddenly leave and it would be easy to assume it's us. But because of the distance between it and us it could just as well be that something out of our sight caused the bird to fly away. It could simply have flown out because it did not feel like hanging out on that branch.

The important thing is that we are not purposefully bothering wildlife.

Last August I was in a National Park in Newfoundland hiking. We saw one group of Caribous with a massive male. I was photographing them from a distance . Then the big male and another smaller one decided to walk toward the trail where I was. I moved quickly and started to film them from 30 m distance ( the rule of the park). A couple, a woman and a man showed up on the trail on the other side of the Caribou and me. They watched them, and then the woman who had a huge stick in her hand started to wave with her stick on the caribous and getting closer and closer to them to scare them. I told her to stop but she would not listen and kept harassing the couple of caribous. Both caribous and the their group were so scared. They jumped from the trail running toward the wood. Lucky me I got all scene on my camera video. I went to the Visitor Center and I showed them what happened. They were devasted . They called the ranger and he went to look for these people. They also asked me to email them the video which I did. I don’t know what happened after we left the park.

I always film people when they do bad things without letting them knowing what I am doing. And if I am in a state park, a national park or a reserve, I will drop by the Visitor Center and let them know about the issue.

K30, the most famous Hawaiian Monk Seal in Kauai ( unfortunately, she died last year), was pregant . She was sleeping on her favorite beach in Poipu. Monk Seals are the most endangered species of seals in the world and they are protected by the law in Us One man started to harass K30 and throwing stone on her. One guy filmed the scene and put it on YouTube. People who saw the video were outraged. The man who harassed K30, was arrested and the judge gave him a sentence of 5 years in prison. The judge wanted to send a clear message for those who harass animals and specially endangered one. Most people on Kauai Island were pleased with the sentence.

As we are all wildlife photographer and we care and we love our subjects, i believe it is part our work is to protect them and educate those who harass them, even if we have to take action and tell the rangers or the park manager about them.

We see it often up here in the Rockies. Confrontation sometimes works but can escalate quickly. After all, you're dealing with an idiot. Reporting the person (s) to a Conservation Office ( I'm in Alberta ) with video or photographic evidence MAY help. But it's better than nothing. A summer ago, I stopped to tell a Conservation Officer that I had seen a Grizzly sow and her 2 cubs earlier further up the road. He informed me that they were now just ahead of us. He said " don't stop beside them." I said, "of course not". I then watched the CO chase off a woman who drove up to them, got out of her car, walked around the back and took pictures of the bears. In the ditch , munching on dandelions - about 15m away! Hopefully, he got her licence and fined her. This behaviour is not only dangerous for the person but the animals can become used to humans and end up in a confrontation at a campsite ( there are a lot in this area ) and have to be destroyed. All because of ignorant, selfish behaviour. It really pisses me off.

We see it often up here in the Rockies. Confrontation sometimes works but can escalate quickly. After all, you're dealing with an idiot. Reporting the person (s) to a Conservation Office ( I'm in Alberta ) with video or photographic evidence MAY help. But it's better than nothing. A summer ago, I stopped to tell a Conservation Officer that I had seen a Grizzly sow and her 2 cubs earlier further up the road. He informed me that they were now just ahead of us. He said " don't stop beside them." I said, "of course not". I then watched the CO chase off a woman who drove up to them, got out of her car, walked around the back and took pictures of the bears. In the ditch , munching on dandelions - about 15m away! Hopefully, he got her licence and fined her. This behaviour is not only dangerous for the person but the animals can become used to humans and end up in a confrontation at a campsite ( there are a lot in this area ) and have to be destroyed. All because of ignorant, selfish behaviour. It really pisses me off.

She was definitely too close to a sow with cubs but that last part isn't accurate. It's not becoming used to humans that's dangerous for bears, it's equating humans with food. For decades, humans walked the paths with Alaskan coastal brown bears in Katmai (until the visitation got too big and they had to try to keep them more separate) and the bears didn't care at all. They didn't associate the humans with food because waste and food stashes are tightly controlled in Katmai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back